(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Agreed, Arsenal has managed to stay somewhat more authentic than others, but still, Arsenal was one of the great profiteers of the changes in English football since the invention of the "Premier League" too.

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Whilst I have no great love for the little b*stard, I don't see why Wise will do any worse then any other Newc manager of the last few years. Of course he isn't likely to do any better either Takes a bit or media pressure off Derby (haven't won in 725 years) County at least so it isn't all bad.

As for Man City, well what a roller coaster ride their fans have had in the last year! The Prem just keeps getting crazier and crazier- that said money doesn't automatically buy success. After all Chelsea did better under Jose before they spend ridiculous amounts on Shevchenko etc, and if money brought success then surely Real would win the Champions League every year. I think the most frightening bit about Man City is not the money lavished on them, but how much of a disposable rich man's toy they've become. Shinewatra (sp) only owned them a year before selling them to the guy from Abu Dubai...how long will he want them for, and who will he sell them onto?

Sooner or later there has to be a backlash in the game.

3. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

^ take the pressure off Derby? Nah, Derby are already better than Newcastle. 4 points out of 6 from them remember :D

KK is officially gone by the look of it on both SSN and BBC. So, other than the dead-cert idiot Wise, who's next up for the poisoned chalice? Knowing Ashely, he'll probably engineer the second coming of... Souness.

4. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

You did notice the part where we were already competing for league titles before the Premier League era began, right ?

We did win the league in 1989 and 1991.

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

At least one idiot on the Derby forum I frequent is saying Keegan's gonna replace Jewell! :lol:

6. dragunzng

dragunzng Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sad to see Keegan go, I was really rooting for him. Not sure exactly what's going to become of Newcastle now to be honest.

Man City... what a surprise. It'll be interesting to see how they perform over the season.

Suprised (not really) Arsene didn't sign anyone, rumor has it Alonso really wanted to sign but Liverpool and Arsenal couldn't agree on a sum. Shame, I think he would have been a great addition to the midfield.

7. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Alonso wasn't for sale unless we could get Barry, so it was never going to happen on deadline day. Unless perhaps we got silly money for him.

8. dragunzng

dragunzng Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, it would'a been pretty silly to sell Alonso with Gerrard still out.

9. BRG

BRG Commander Red Shirt

Re: The Rise of a Mighty Blue Moon!

Indeed, I was really just enjoying a laugh at the Prawn Sandwich Brigade.;)

But I would point out that Man City are hardly the "wee team with no history" that I have heard some fans say. They may not have the support of United(lets face it, nobody comes close) or the success of Liverpool, but they are a huge club, with a loyal fan base, with a history that can stand up with any team outside Liverpool, Man Utd, & Arsenal.
    Chelsea were hardly world-beaters until Abramovich, yet they quickly achieved a level with the best. If done correctly, I stand by my claim that City could do likewise within 3 seasons.:)

However I do agree with what Starkers said. Sooner or later these rich sugar daddies are going to become bored with football, and pile their cash into the next fad. I fear the arse could fall out of English football, and many great clubs could end up with fates far worse than Leeds.
    BRG

10. Gagh

Gagh Commodore Commodore

Yes, but they didn't field 15-strong squads of wholly foreign players then.

11. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

That has nothing to do with "selling out" or "profiteering".

12. Gagh

Gagh Commodore Commodore

It does. Maybe tenuously: they have profited by winning trophies with squad largely (sometimes entirely) comprised of cheap overseas players sourced as youngsters by Wenger's network of scouts. In several cases these players have been sold on for a good profit.

Nothing wrong with that, if you're into the idea of a cosmopolitan footie team made up of a blend of talented youngsters from all over the world.

13. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Of course. But Arsenal is one of only 4 clubs that have won the league since 1992, and they qualified for the European Cup consistently, which makes them one of the winners in my book.

14. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

We did that on the pitch with rivals who have consistently spent more money than us. Our club record transfer fee is the £16.9m we spent on Jose Antonio Reyes. That was in installments based on performance, most of which we never even paid out. We got £13m back for him from Atletico Madrid too. Mid-table sides spend more than we do on players.

Five of our starting line-up on Saturday cost us nothing and the rest put together wouldn't pay for Berbatov.

Money has very little to do with our success.

No, you're right, we should sell Adebayor and Fabregas and buy Joey Barton and Emile Heskey.

15. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

OH man, Chelsea should have never started printing those shirts up. What a mistake.

Saying that though, Real is just impossible to deal with, and Calderon is a fool.

Fuckin' Man City. At least Arsenal can kiss that CL 4th place spot goodbye. :lol:

16. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

We already did last season. We gave it Liverpool as a Christmas present.

17. Gagh

Gagh Commodore Commodore

I'd address your points, but since you've decided to sign off this post by spitting sarcasm & hostility at me, I'm not going to bother with you.

18. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Oh come on, sarcasm and hostility (with a touch of xenophobia) is all we Arsenal fans get from ENGLAND FIRST types who can't accept that it is not Arsenal's job to prepare players for the England team. Arsene Wenger's job is to win football matches for Arsenal, not England and if they were asked Benitez (who told Cappello where to go when scheduling Gerrard's surgery), Scolari and Ferguson would agree with him.

Right now there's probably Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney, Barry, Richards, Ferdinand, Terry and maybe Joe Cole out of the England team who would get in the Arsenal side and we can't afford any of them because we to run our club as a business.

James is an old man, Brown is nowhere near Sagna, Cash Hole can't touch Gael Clichy right now, Heskey vs Adebayor isn't even a contest and Beckham's past it.

Maybe in a year's time we'll let England have Almunia! :lol:

19. Gagh

Gagh Commodore Commodore

I never said I was for an all-England team, nor did I suggest that there should be English players in the squad. I was merely trying to make a constructive point about Wenger's methods turning in profit through turnover & trophies.

You got the wrong end of the stick. Now you're accusing me of being something I'm not, because you chose to read between lines that simply weren't there. Maybe it wasn't hostility - just a super-defensive attitude.

Maybe you feel Wenger's methods haven't worked?

20. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Your previous posts made reference to the number of foreigners in the Arsenal team. This is a particularly tired criticism of Arsenal.

If I misread your intentions then I apologise, but the criticism of our youth and transfer policies gets a bit old after a while.