Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old September 2 2008, 01:45 PM   #631
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile
Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
I'm sorry, but hearing an Arsenal- and a Liverpool-supporter complaining about the sellout of football is simply hilarious.
Exactly, that's why I admitted that fans are fickle and hypocritical. I don't like the way football is going, but since I can't do anything about it, I want to be owned by the richest man in the world.
Old September 2 2008, 01:50 PM   #632
BRG
Commander

The Rise of a Mighty Blue Moon!

You must admit that it is a laugh to see those United fans getting all flustered, for decades they have been by far the most powerful club in England who could outbid any club for any player.
Now they are not even the most powerful club in their own city!

Still, English football is getting to the stupid stage. If this guy who owns Man City is as rich as they say, gives his manager a free reign to sign who he likes, and is in this for the long haul, then the simple truth is that City will be the dominant force in the land within 2-3 seasons.
Still, there are alot of Ifs in there. nothing is guarenteed, I mean, just look at that lunatic who owns Hearts. He was going to smash the Old Firm and make Hearts a power in Europe, yet all he does is sack managers every two minutes, and signs second rate Lithuanians.
BRG
Scottish League Cup Winners- 2012
BRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2008, 01:54 PM   #633
Hermiod
Admiral

I'm sorry, but hearing an Arsenal- and a Liverpool-supporter complaining about the sellout of football is simply hilarious.
Excuse me ? Arsenal make money by selling tickets, merchandise and the rights to broadcast our games on TV.

We've got two billionaires fighting over control of the club and still we don't spend these ridiculous sums on players.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2008, 02:08 PM   #634
Jax
Admiral

^ Arsenal should sell part of the club to the American who has a track record of sprt clubs, that other fat bastard Usnimov or whatever he called should be kept far far away from Arsenal.

Some breaking news here...

Sky Sports News understands Newcastle manager Kevin Keegan has left his position at St James' Park.
I feel sorry for King Kev who has tried hard but Mike Ashley's funds have dried up especially more since his company took a hit with the credit crunch.

I feel this 100% means Michael Owen will leave in January or next summer and that NUFC could be a relgeated side come the end of next season or even this one, if this turn of events do not stop.
Old September 2 2008, 02:11 PM   #635
Daedalus12
Rear Admiral

Damn I haven't follow any football news in the last 10 days and suddenly Citeh is literally the most massive club in the world? I wonder how United fans feel about this new Chelsea Mk. 7.
"Bennett & Meyer are obviously the Ceti Eels introduced into the collective brain of Trekdom, leading to easy manipulation (TWOK), impaired cognitive functionality (TSFS), drooling (TVH), agonized death (TFF) and extended post-mortem twitching (TUC).
Daedalus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2008, 02:16 PM   #636
Hermiod
Admiral

NX_01 Mark wrote: View Post
^ Arsenal should sell part of the club to the American who has a track record of sprt clubs, that other fat bastard Usnimov or whatever he called should be kept far far away from Arsenal.
Even he can't compete. We'd end up penny pinching all the time even more.

My feelings on this have nothing to do with Arsenal. The whole game is just become stupid now.
Old September 2 2008, 02:24 PM   #637
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Tomalak wrote: View Post
Exactly, that's why I admitted that fans are fickle and hypocritical. I don't like the way football is going, but since I can't do anything about it, I want to be owned by the richest man in the world.

Alas, you're stuck buying Riera and some striker called Flora. What a deadline day!

I think this talk of Man City creating some sort of Top 5 that's utterly impenetrable is very premature myself. For a start, it's Man City. English football's longest running joke team. So they signed ONE big player under the noses of Chelski? Well done. It takes a big team to win something, not one striker with reasonable support and a promising goalkeeper.

Man City can offer big wages now, but can they offer a player the winning history, prestige and current upward mobility of their Red neighbours, or Chelsea, or Liverpool? No. I will be utterly shocked if they get Champions League this year, or within the next two or three.

The only negative effect I can see from this takeover is that the presence of one UAE family at one English club might draw in those people from Dubai to go in for Liverpool again. THEN I will worry about the end of the English game as we know it. At the moment, I still very much doubt Man City have enough to a) not choke and b) defeat Arsenal, Man Utd or Chelsea on a regular basis.

The best deal that got done yesterday, in terms of the most ridiculously priced, was Berbatov's, not Robinho's. With Berbatov it's clear he wanted it. With Robinho.. well, did he really want to settle for a team in the UEFA Cup, in dreary Manchester (bet he'll love the winter months up there), with team-mates he's probably heard of? We'll see, whereas Berbatov will get going straight away.

And QPR? Don't make me laugh! They have two things working against them and their bid for world domination. One is Iain Dowie. The other is the league they are in - you can be as rich as you want in the Championship, and you'll still get beaten by some dodgy promoted team or held to draws by half the rest on any given day.
Old September 2 2008, 02:24 PM   #638
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile
Re: The Rise of a Mighty Blue Moon!

BRG wrote: View Post
I wouldn't go that far. Not every player is a mercenary like Robinho. The very best will want to go to the very best clubs, and at the moment City is not one of those.
Old September 2 2008, 02:32 PM   #639
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

A horror scenario is unfolding in my mind, far beyond this money business.

If King Kev goes, there is surely little doubt Dennis Wise will become manager. Of Newcastle. In the Premiership. Now that's a reason to lose faith in football.
Old September 2 2008, 02:54 PM   #640
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

^And that is just ridiculous. Dennis Wise managed my club for short period. I don't think he's had a good record anywhere he's been.

Tomalak wrote: View Post
BRG wrote: View Post
I wouldn't go that far. Not every player is a mercenary like Robinho. The very best will want to go to the very best clubs, and at the moment City is not one of those.
Yeah, Robinho kinda forced himself out by saying he wants to leave Madrid and all that. Gotta laugh at Chelsea though, last week printing shirts with Robinho's name on and then being gazumped by Man City

But it's blatantly obvious why Robinho moved, just a few days ago his head "was at Chelsea".

I too think this big 5 is premature, City haven't won anything yet. But now they have the best chance to displace one of the top four, which presumably would be Arsenal or Liverpool. And the task of Villa/Everton/Spurs just got a whole lot harder too.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2008, 03:27 PM   #641
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Hermiod wrote: View Post
Excuse me ? Arsenal make money by selling tickets, merchandise and the rights to broadcast our games on TV.

We've got two billionaires fighting over control of the club and still we don't spend these ridiculous sums on players.
Agreed, Arsenal has managed to stay somewhat more authentic than others, but still, Arsenal was one of the great profiteers of the changes in English football since the invention of the "Premier League" too.
Old September 2 2008, 03:28 PM   #642
Starkers
Admiral

Whilst I have no great love for the little b*stard, I don't see why Wise will do any worse then any other Newc manager of the last few years. Of course he isn't likely to do any better either Takes a bit or media pressure off Derby (haven't won in 725 years) County at least so it isn't all bad.

As for Man City, well what a roller coaster ride their fans have had in the last year! The Prem just keeps getting crazier and crazier- that said money doesn't automatically buy success. After all Chelsea did better under Jose before they spend ridiculous amounts on Shevchenko etc, and if money brought success then surely Real would win the Champions League every year. I think the most frightening bit about Man City is not the money lavished on them, but how much of a disposable rich man's toy they've become. Shinewatra (sp) only owned them a year before selling them to the guy from Abu Dubai...how long will he want them for, and who will he sell them onto?

Sooner or later there has to be a backlash in the game.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2008, 03:50 PM   #643
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

^ take the pressure off Derby? Nah, Derby are already better than Newcastle. 4 points out of 6 from them remember

KK is officially gone by the look of it on both SSN and BBC. So, other than the dead-cert idiot Wise, who's next up for the poisoned chalice? Knowing Ashely, he'll probably engineer the second coming of... Souness.
Old September 2 2008, 04:02 PM   #644
Hermiod
Admiral

Agreed, Arsenal has managed to stay somewhat more authentic than others, but still, Arsenal was one of the great profiteers of the changes in English football since the invention of the "Premier League" too.
You did notice the part where we were already competing for league titles before the Premier League era began, right ?

We did win the league in 1989 and 1991.
Old September 2 2008, 04:24 PM   #645
Starkers
Admiral

HappyDayRiot wrote: View Post
^ take the pressure off Derby? Nah, Derby are already better than Newcastle. 4 points out of 6 from them remember

KK is officially gone by the look of it on both SSN and BBC. So, other than the dead-cert idiot Wise, who's next up for the poisoned chalice? Knowing Ashely, he'll probably engineer the second coming of... Souness.
At least one idiot on the Derby forum I frequent is saying Keegan's gonna replace Jewell!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote