RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,318
Posts: 5,352,445
Members: 24,622
Currently online: 627
Newest member: groucho900

TrekToday headlines

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

True Trek History To Be Penned
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 28 2008, 10:56 AM   #76
Pingfah
Admiral
 
Pingfah's Avatar
 
Location: Cornwall, UK
Re: If you could erase five bands from ever having existed

ElimParra wrote: View Post
^ Live really only had one good album ... Throwing Copper.
Oh, I disagree. I actually don't even like that album very much at all. Secret Samedi and The Distance to Here are much better albums IMO. I think the actual songwriting on that album is quite childish compared to their other albums. Their next two albums are straight down the road melodic rock but demonstrating extremely strong melodic and lyrical skills and showcasing extremely tight musicianship. Nothing that's going to set the world on fire, and nothing particularly original, but also musically unpretentious (extremely pretentious lyrically however) and clearly a band loving what they do. Things rapidy disintegrated after that however, their last 3 albums were nowhere near as good.

Anyway, time for a rant.

I do think (this isn't directed at anyone here) that a lot of people have their heads stuffed firmly up their asses when it comes to music. Too many fashion victims. The Emo kids who listen to the music simply because it's depressing, or simply because they like the singer's hair are no better or worse than those who dismiss the entire genre of music they listen to because Emo kids with shitty hairstyles and stupid makeup listen to it.

A lot of people dismiss music because it is unoriginal in it's style. Unoriginal is a fair criticism to level at music, but originality or breaking stylistic ground is not the be all and end all of everything. Plenty of mainstream artists produce fascinating composition within very restrictive boundaries. In some ways I find this skill itself to be very impressive. Dismissal of the mainstream is another big problem with pretentious music listeners as well, the idea that soemthing can't be good because it has widespread appeal is as lamentably stupid as thinking that something must be good because it does have widespread appeal.

It's when you hit rock bottom with bands like Nickelback that you have a problem, a band that utterly fails to forge ahead stylistically, but also writes completely uninspired compositions that simply borrow riffs and structures from other bands (or even from previous songs of their own, which in turn were stolen from somewhere else!) and add nothing at all of their own.
__________________
So it goes.
Pingfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2008, 11:44 AM   #77
HappyDayRiot
Commodore
 
HappyDayRiot's Avatar
 
Location: Cardiff, Wales
Re: If you could erase five bands from ever having existed

moocey wrote: View Post
Fuck the political message of music. I own a few RATM albums, you want that should make me a communiss?
Who on earth listens to RATM or SOAD or whoever for their political message?
__________________
"All you ever feel is anger. Why can't you ever express anything else?" Francine
"Because people make me mad all the time for being stupid about everything!" Stan
HappyDayRiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2008, 09:56 PM   #78
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral
 
USS Mariner's Avatar
 
Location: Homestate of Matt Jefferies
View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner
Re: If you could erase five bands from ever having existed

^Idiots.

My Hates:

Fall Out Boy - Can't Sing, Can't Write, Epic Fail

Velvet Revolver - The Band That Made Weiland Suck

Metallica - The Blandest Franchise Since Mickey-D's.

AC/DC - Rock That Makes You Want To Cut Yourself

The White Stripes - Ghey, Without The Pretty Colors or Fashion Sense or Soothing Lisp or Smooth Skin or...
__________________
Ignorance is forgivable,
Arrogance is reprehensible,
Narcissism is intolerable.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2008, 03:17 PM   #79
HappyDayRiot
Commodore
 
HappyDayRiot's Avatar
 
Location: Cardiff, Wales
Re: If you could erase five bands from ever having existed

Ergh, Velvet Revolver. Yuck.

At least Weiland left.
__________________
"All you ever feel is anger. Why can't you ever express anything else?" Francine
"Because people make me mad all the time for being stupid about everything!" Stan
HappyDayRiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2008, 06:42 PM   #80
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Louis (aka Defiance)
Re: If you could erase five bands from ever having existed

Guns & Roses: I actually threw a radio that was playing them out of a moving car (sue me for littering, I don't care)

Def Leppard: McMetal--'nuff said.

New Kids On the Block--they were cool in the beginning, but...no, on second thought no they weren't...

Brittney Spears--not a band, but she spawned an army of blonde mass-produced clones that continues to ravage music today...

Jonas Brothers--what the !@#$ is this??? Even if I was young enough to appreciate their music, I wouldn't...
__________________
"Everybody wants to rule the world..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2008, 08:08 PM   #81
Pingfah
Admiral
 
Pingfah's Avatar
 
Location: Cornwall, UK
Re: If you could erase five bands from ever having existed

USS Mariner wrote: View Post
Velvet Revolver - The Band That Made Weiland Suck
I went to see STP a couple months ago. He was not sucking again, they were really good.
__________________
So it goes.
Pingfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2008, 05:23 AM   #82
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral
 
USS Mariner's Avatar
 
Location: Homestate of Matt Jefferies
View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner
Re: If you could erase five bands from ever having existed

I envy you, more than you shall ever know Pingfah.

I didn't know that Weiland was kicked out of Velvet Revolver. Without him providing the sole musical talent, Slash n' the Rosetards can finally fade into fail.

I initially thought that Weiland was terrible in VR because he quit drugs (turns out THAT was wrong.) In reality, he just needed to quit headlining a shitty band.
__________________
Ignorance is forgivable,
Arrogance is reprehensible,
Narcissism is intolerable.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2008, 03:23 AM   #83
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: If you could erase five bands from ever having existed

ElimParra wrote: View Post
^ Live really only had one good album ... Throwing Copper.
But it was a pretty solid album (one album wonder bands are OK. I honestly don't think Live can be blamed for what followed as much as Creed, which was inspired as much by Hetfield as Pearl Jam).

I've decided (since we can't ban outright shitty bans) that I wouldn't erase anyone. As much as I hate hair bands, they became so oversaturated that there was a backlash and other bands that were inspired by good 80s music could actually get mainstream attention.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2008, 06:54 AM   #84
nevermore
Admiral
 
nevermore's Avatar
 
Location: The Land of Pleasant Living
Re: If you could erase five bands from ever having existed

Crash wrote: View Post
blah...blah...blah..I know more about music than you
OMG! A Crash sighting?! And I missed it?! The world is cruel, and full of shitty bands, apparently.

I blame this on Pingfah because I can.

__________________
What is a country without the shackles of it's past?
nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2008, 12:58 AM   #85
DarkHelmet
Admiral
 
DarkHelmet's Avatar
 
Location: Mirimar, CA
View DarkHelmet's Twitter Profile
Re: If you could erase five bands from ever having existed

The Beatles
Grateful Dead
Phish
Ted Nugent
Reggae music in general
__________________
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
DarkHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2008, 10:06 AM   #86
MikeGainer
too fat to fish
 
MikeGainer's Avatar
 
Location: Chicago, IL
Re: If you could erase five bands from ever having existed

1. Linkin Park - Music ruined by a bunch of rapper posers I knew back in High School.
2. Limp Bizkit - No explanation is necessary.
3. Def Leppard - Reminds me of a obnoxious boyish girl I knew back in College. Plus their songs are about how much love hurts. Get over it!
4. Evanescence - fuck angst.
5. Chemical Romance - see #4.
MikeGainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2008, 01:03 PM   #87
MNM
Captain
 
Re: If you could erase five bands from ever having existed

msbae wrote: View Post
- Limp Bizkit, because they're nothing but Rappers with guitars... (and they can take all their contemporaries/damned industry whores like Korn and Kid Rock with them.)
Kid Rock was around and making quality music long before Durst stuck on his red hat.
MNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2008, 02:15 AM   #88
stoneroses
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Herford, Germany
Re: If you could erase five bands from ever having existed

Kaiser Chiefs - not important

Coldplay - so boring and up their own arses

Mark Ronson - lets take a Zutons song and ruin it

Robbie Williams - vapid

James Blunt - is a
__________________
Make poverty history! Make Trade fair!

http://communities.msn.com/infograpismo
stoneroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2008, 11:14 AM   #89
NCC1701
Commodore
 
NCC1701's Avatar
 
Location: New Zealand
Re: If you could erase five bands from ever having existed

I agree about Limp Bizkit - at least after their Significant Other days - but Korn, Linkin Park and System of a Down? What did they ever do to you? At least they aren't polluting the airwaves constantly, unlike some other bands.

Oh, and if I was allowed to erase a sixth band, I'd pick AC/DC. Just recycle the same crappy guitar riff and complement it with the same crap yelled vocals, and hey presto, it's a hit for over 30 years! I like to call it music for the moronic masses, so at least on some level AC/DC have to be geniuses to have hit the music jackpot.
NCC1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2008, 01:59 PM   #90
HappyDayRiot
Commodore
 
HappyDayRiot's Avatar
 
Location: Cardiff, Wales
Re: If you could erase five bands from ever having existed

NCC1701 wrote: View Post
System of a Down? What did they ever do to you? .
Some people are just aren't ready for songs about pogo stick orgies, the American prison system, sad statues and fucking the system!

And are you seriously saying Linkin Park don't pollute the airwaves where you live? I envy you my friend. Although I suppose since Nickelcack and Kid Twat released their respective cringe-fests LP haven't been on too much. Double-edged sword that.
__________________
"All you ever feel is anger. Why can't you ever express anything else?" Francine
"Because people make me mad all the time for being stupid about everything!" Stan
HappyDayRiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
hating, music

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.