New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old September 1 2008, 11:23 PM   #1
JD
Admiral

Q & Guinan

I'm watching Q,Who? right now during the Sci-Fi marathon, and they just talked about Q and Guinan's first meeting 200 years ago. Has this story ever been told?
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2008, 11:38 PM   #2
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh
Re: Q & Guinan

Nope, unless it was covered in Strange New Worlds.

This is definitely an event I would love to read.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2008, 11:40 PM   #3
Christopher
Writer

I was tempted to work something in about it when I covered Guinan's backstory in The Buried Age, but there was no place for it in the story.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2008, 11:42 PM   #4
JD
Admiral

To bad you couldn't have worked it in somehow. Maybe you'll get to use it in another story later.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2008, 12:10 AM   #5
donners22
Commodore

I think it's better that the story not be told. Not every gap needs to be filled. There's always room for mystery, especially for characters who are so unique.
Janeway: Ha! Good one, Ensign. Take us in, Mr. Paris.

http://www.fiveminute.net/voyager
donners22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2008, 04:31 AM   #6
LightningStorm
The Borg King

donners22 wrote: View Post
I think it's better that the story not be told. Not every gap needs to be filled. There's always room for mystery, especially for characters who are so unique.
I respectfully, greatly disagree. Any story that can be told well should be.
Old September 2 2008, 06:29 AM   #7
TGTheodore
Writer

donners22 wrote: View Post
True.

And I always suspected that Picard and Guinan had another meeting besides the one depicted in "Time's Arrow"(a.k.a. "Data's Head"). That episode certainly didn't develop their special friendship referred to on the series. It had to be another occasion or occasions that formed their bond.

--Ted
Old September 2 2008, 09:26 AM   #8
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

TG Theodore wrote: View Post
And I always suspected that Picard and Guinan had another meeting besides the one depicted in "Time's Arrow"(a.k.a. "Data's Head"). That episode certainly didn't develop their special friendship referred to on the series. It had to be another occasion or occasions that formed their bond.
"Stargazer: Oblivion" by MJF.

And there was a one-panel cartoon in "Starlog" once that followed up "Q Who". Guinan was Q's... X.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2008, 09:28 AM   #9
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

LightningStorm wrote: View Post
I respectfully, greatly disagree. Any story that can be told well should be.
Whoopi Goldberg says that she worked out what the first meeting Guinan/Picard was all about, in order to play Guinan with the proper depth, but she likes the idea that she'll never tell anyone. She believes that a little mystery is a good thing.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2008, 10:00 AM   #10
Sxottlan
Commodore

View Sxottlan's Twitter Profile

I kind of got the impression that the loose thread regarding Iliana Ghemor must have been something that someone must have really wanted to return to given the amount of attention focused on this character lately.

While I certainly don't share that desire, I can understand it because the scene where Guinan is apparently ready to defend herself against a Q is one that I've always thought was screaming for a follow up.
The Crimson Shadow: ***
Sxottlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2008, 01:55 PM   #11
Christopher
Writer

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
TG Theodore wrote: View Post
"Stargazer: Oblivion" by MJF.
Well, it was quite explicit that "Time's Arrow" was not their first meeting from Picard's perspective. Before Picard went back in time, Guinan asked him if he remembered how they first met, and when Picard said yes, Guinan told him, "No, you don't."

And of course their first meeting from Picard's POV (the meeting depicted in Oblivion) was not their only meeting prior to TNG; one event over two decades in the past would not have been enough to account for their closeness.

The Buried Age depicts some of the key events in the Picard/Guinan relationship. They've already been good friends for many years at the time of TBA, but the novel's events help explain what there is about their relationship that's so profound to them both in later years.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2008, 04:28 PM   #12
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Sxottlan wrote: View Post
I kind of got the impression that the loose thread regarding Iliana Ghemor must have been something that someone must have really wanted to return to given the amount of attention focused on this character lately.
You know, I actually...haven't been so sure about that choice myself. While I can see where the direction they went with it makes for some very interesting writing, I also felt the ambiguity was in line with the themes of "Second Skin" and "Ties of Blood and Water" and that leaving it open had its own message and impact.
Old September 2 2008, 05:04 PM   #13
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

As the fact that I once wrote an execrable SNW submission featuring Q and Guinan's first meeting should indicate, I've always been interested in the history of these two characters, though I do think it would be difficult to write something about it that would make for a worthwhile story without damaging either character.
Old September 2 2008, 06:00 PM   #14
TGTheodore
Writer

Christopher wrote: View Post
And of course their first meeting from Picard's POV (the meeting depicted in Oblivion) was not their only meeting prior to TNG; one event over two decades in the past would not have been enough to account for their closeness.

The Buried Age depicts some of the key events in the Picard/Guinan relationship. They've already been good friends for many years at the time of TBA, but the novel's events help explain what there is about their relationship that's so profound to them both in later years.
Thanks for the heads up, Christopher. I knew that someone had to have touched on that.

--Ted
Old September 2 2008, 08:35 PM   #15
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

John DeLancie's standard answer is, "They went on a bad date."