Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old September 1 2008, 11:46 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

'Star Trek' Needed A Reboot

Too much focus on unimportant details is a sign of a need for a franchise revitalization according to Star Trek XI Producer Damon Lindelof.

As reported by Amctv.com, when the show becomes more about the details then the characters, it's time for a change. "I think it's like how with 'Batman,' it got to the point where there was more press about the nipples on the Batsuit than there was about the characters, and the franchise needed a reboot," said Lindelof.

But Lindelof had respect for Star Trek and its lengthy past. "I had a real reverence for the material, but more importantly, for the world and how special that world is, and how long it's persevered," he explained. "I watched a fair amount of the original and I really watched a lot of 'Next Generation.' The first series of meetings we had were along the lines of: What is the 'State of the Union' of Trek, and has it been brought to a place where people will resent our involvement because we're coming from the outside?"

In addition to the franchise, Lindelof has to deal with expectations and concerns from actors who were involved with the original Star Trek. One of them, William Shatner, was disappointed to not be included in Star Trek XI. "Mr. Shatner created Kirk, so I understand and sympathize with his feelings about what his role, or lack of a role, in our movie was," said Lindelof. "That being said, Kirk died. He fell down a cliff face. That made it incredibly challenging for us to tell the story we wanted to tell and figure out a way for William Shatner, who is now several years older than Kirk was when he died, to be in the movie. It's an incredibly ambitious movie on a technical scale. I can say with confidence that we achieved what we set out to achieve, and that's all you can ask for."

To read more, head to the article located here.

Old September 2 2008, 12:38 AM   #2
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: 'Star Trek' Needed A Reboot

It certainly did need a reboot, or restart, or whatever imprecise term one wishes to use. Good on Lindelof for just putting that out there.
Old September 2 2008, 01:49 AM   #3
zenophite
Rear Admiral

TrekToday wrote: View Post
The first series of meetings we had were along the lines of: What is the 'State of the Union' of Trek, and has it been brought to a place where people will resent our involvement because we're coming from the outside?"
at which point they all looked at a few printed versions of Trek BBS "Bermaga" threads and said

"how much more hate could we really inspire with just one movie?"
Old September 2 2008, 02:18 AM   #4
Garrovick

I'm sorry Mr. Damon Lindelof

You are mistaken

It did not.

It needed some one with imagination to go forward, to continue the saga.

However, your new movie will make a very nice purchase some day from the DVD bargin bin. Might even make the rainy Saturday afternoon DVD rental list from NetFlix.

Old September 2 2008, 02:23 AM   #5
zenophite
Rear Admiral

^wow.
Old September 2 2008, 02:31 AM   #6
StarMan
Vice Admiral

Garrovick wrote: View Post

You are mistaken

It did not.

Indeed. His name is JJ Abrams and that's precisely what he's doing.

Or are you suggesting the saga can only continue so long as it continues further into the fictional Trek timeline? That to me is a lack of imagination.
Old September 2 2008, 02:41 AM   #7
Dane_Whitman
Fleet Captain

*sigh*

After Pegg's "Trek XI is not a reboot", now it's supposed to be a reboot again. Though I think 'reboot' and 'revitalization' are not necessarily the same thing. Guess we'll have to wait to see the picture to be sure, as all involved seem to be contradicting each other.

- Bertrand Russell
Old September 2 2008, 02:49 AM   #8
zenophite
Rear Admiral

since they've got time travel and Nimoy in it, it seems obvious that it will be a "in-universe" reboot. Sort of like all those reset button episodes except without that final reset button.
Old September 2 2008, 03:03 AM   #9
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

TrekToday wrote: View Post
"I think it's like how with 'Batman,' it got to the point where there was more press about the nipples on the Batsuit than there was about the characters, and the franchise needed a reboot," said Lindelof.
So...Batman is in the movie? Awesome!

Dane_Whitman wrote: View Post
*sigh*

After Pegg's "Trek XI is not a reboot", now it's supposed to be a reboot again. Though I think 'reboot' and 'revitalization' are not necessarily the same thing. Guess we'll have to wait to see the picture to be sure, as all involved seem to be contradicting each other.
It's a revitalization of a reboot with repercussions which was initially a rerun, but they rebooted it before revitalizing it which makes the canon rewind until it becomes recanon. Really.
Old September 2 2008, 03:41 AM   #10
Garrovick

StarMan wrote: View Post
Garrovick wrote: View Post

You are mistaken

It did not.

Indeed. His name is JJ Abrams and that's precisely what he's doing.

Or are you suggesting the saga can only continue so long as it continues further into the fictional Trek timeline? That to me is a lack of imagination.
That's fine, things change..

Just don't expect everyone to support this new vision and allow them their opinions.

My opinion, based on Enterprise and this new movie, Star Trek ended with Nemesis.

Old September 2 2008, 03:49 AM   #11
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

There was nothing left of Trek worth following up on. A restart/reboot/reimagining/whatever you want to call it is a good thing.
Old September 2 2008, 04:03 AM   #12
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral

Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
There was nothing left of Trek worth following up on. A restart/reboot/reimagining/whatever you want to call it is a good thing.
That's half right.
Old September 2 2008, 04:07 AM   #13
Tom Servo
Commodore

Well seeing as how trek became so big, expansive and detailed that it was becoming choked with its own facts and canon, a nice fresh outlook on things will be nice to see.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Old September 2 2008, 04:34 AM   #14
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Lindelof is completely correct.
Old September 2 2008, 04:41 AM   #15
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

zenophite wrote: View Post
since they've got time travel and Nimoy in it, it seems obvious that it will be a "in-universe" reboot. Sort of like all those reset button episodes except without that final reset button.
Now that really begs the question of what'll happen on the Trek lit front--think we'll get two separate continuities, or a whole hell of a lot of retconning to try and bring the two continuities into line with each other?

I kind of fall in the middle on this issue. I think a new continuity could be a very interesting thing and possibly even worthwhile as far as creating a successful movie and a show that will attract new fans.

On the other hand, I think the current continuity works very well as the basis for literature (both official lit AND unofficial fanfic). Not being under the same degree of time and budgetary pressures that a movie is, there's no reason, especially with resources like Memory Alpha and Beta available, that an author cannot do the research to work within the existing continuity. The intricacy is now very well suited to the written format, much like the extreme detail in the Star Wars: Expanded Universe continuity, or Tolkien's Middle Earth.

I personally say it should not have to be an either-or dilemma: why not simply have one "new continuity" for the movie, and officially hand over the old material (ENT, TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, and the prior movies) to the writers at Pocket Book? It seems like it's been working its way in that direction already...let's just make it official.