RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,914
Posts: 5,388,358
Members: 24,718
Currently online: 456
Newest member: Tribblemaker

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 28 2008, 01:17 PM   #1
bennyrex
Lieutenant
 
bennyrex's Avatar
 
Vanguard Episode Guide

The other day, I read the Vanguard article in the new Star Trek magazine, and I was quite blown away. I consider Vanguard one of my favourite book series, and absolutely adore it, but I've always enjoyed them for the books themselves. I've only watched isolated episodes of the Original Series. Any references beyond the totally obvious (Hey, there's Gary Mitchell! Hey, there's Captain Kirk!) went totally over my head, and I had no idea at all that Vanguard, as well as being kick-ass stories in their own right, was also creating the epic glue to hold the Original Series episodic stories together.

With Open Secrets coming out next year, I've been planning on rereading the series, but with the added knowledge from that article, I now want to reread it with the context of the Original Series stuff. I'm excited to see how it'll change the way I see the stories with this whole new layer on top of it.

That being said, has anyone made a list of episodes related to Vanguard? Would anyone be willing to? Kind of like, watch these episodes, then read book 1, then watch these other episodes, and read book 2, etc.
bennyrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2008, 02:24 PM   #2
Dayton Ward
Word Pusher
 
Dayton Ward's Avatar
 
View Dayton Ward's Twitter Profile
Re: Vanguard Episode Guide

^ I don't know that there's anything which would be considered "required viewing" so far as Vanguard goes. The first three books take place after "Where No Man Has Gone Before" but before "The Corbomite Manuever," and therefore don't really play directly off events from any TOS episode. Also, the intent of the series is to add a new context to TOS. Rather than simply offering sequels to episodes or picking up a dangling plot thread and running with it, Vanguard (hopefully) will end up showing how events from the series did not take place in vacuum, and how events in and around the Taurus Reach might impact the Trek tapestry as a whole.

Open Secrets will continue this, but will unfold over a greater period of time. Events from certain TOS episodes will play into the storylines to varying degrees, but more as a means of showing how the "bigger picture" is evolving both within and beyond the Taurus Reach, rather than as direct ties to the book itself (or vice versa).

And then, Mack will come in and blow up whatever's left in Book 5.
__________________
www.daytonward.com

"tlhingAn HoL, Mother F*cker! Do you speak it?!"
Dayton Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2008, 09:06 PM   #3
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral
 
BrotherBenny's Avatar
 
Location: BrotherBenny
View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny
Re: Vanguard Episode Guide

Dayton Ward wrote: View Post
And then, Mack will come in and blow up whatever's left in Book 5.
But...but...he can't...

There must be someone left alive for you to do book six
__________________
"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." - Henry David Thoreau

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2008, 09:50 PM   #4
ClayinCA
Commodore
 
ClayinCA's Avatar
 
Location: New New Jersey
Re: Vanguard Episode Guide

Dayton Ward wrote: View Post
And then, Mack will come in and blow up whatever's left in Book 5.
Leaving the remains of the station floating in the Stygian blackness of space, one supposes...
ClayinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2008, 10:12 PM   #5
cbp44189
Commander
 
cbp44189's Avatar
 
Location: Jax, Fl.
Re: Vanguard Episode Guide

I like when things blow up...hehe..hehe.
cbp44189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2008, 05:31 AM   #6
bennyrex
Lieutenant
 
bennyrex's Avatar
 
Re: Vanguard Episode Guide

Dayton Ward wrote: View Post
^ I don't know that there's anything which would be considered "required viewing" so far as Vanguard goes. The first three books take place after "Where No Man Has Gone Before" but before "The Corbomite Manuever," and therefore don't really play directly off events from any TOS episode. Also, the intent of the series is to add a new context to TOS. Rather than simply offering sequels to episodes or picking up a dangling plot thread and running with it, Vanguard (hopefully) will end up showing how events from the series did not take place in vacuum, and how events in and around the Taurus Reach might impact the Trek tapestry as a whole.

Open Secrets will continue this, but will unfold over a greater period of time. Events from certain TOS episodes will play into the storylines to varying degrees, but more as a means of showing how the "bigger picture" is evolving both within and beyond the Taurus Reach, rather than as direct ties to the book itself (or vice versa).

And then, Mack will come in and blow up whatever's left in Book 5.
Hm... so instead of picking out single episodes, and watching and reading in a certain order, it's a matter of meshing all of Trek TV with all of the Vanguard series. It's a more holistic approach than the piecemeal-ish list I was looking for. Which is even more awesome, when I think about it, but it leaves no shortcuts for me other than to watch all of TOS... which really *is* something I should get around to doing anyway...
bennyrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2008, 12:43 PM   #7
Dayton Ward
Word Pusher
 
Dayton Ward's Avatar
 
View Dayton Ward's Twitter Profile
Re: Vanguard Episode Guide

Yes. Yes you should.
__________________
www.daytonward.com

"tlhingAn HoL, Mother F*cker! Do you speak it?!"
Dayton Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2008, 08:00 PM   #8
ronny
Fleet Captain
 
ronny's Avatar
 
Location: San Francisco, CA
View ronny's Twitter Profile
Re: Vanguard Episode Guide

bennyrex wrote: View Post
when I think about it, but it leaves no shortcuts for me other than to watch all of TOS... which really *is* something I should get around to doing anyway...
I would guess watching all the episodes would be a good idea. Something tells me the answer to T'Prynn's katra problem is going to be something out of Spock's Brain.
__________________
If you want people to respect your ideas, get better ideas. - John Scalzi

My Star Trek reading progress.
ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2008, 12:40 AM   #9
cbp44189
Commander
 
cbp44189's Avatar
 
Location: Jax, Fl.
Re: Vanguard Episode Guide

I love this series! Does anyone know if there are any talks about a comic book or other media?
cbp44189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2008, 01:29 AM   #10
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: Vanguard Episode Guide

I'm not positive, but I think Vanguard might have been mentioned as a possible future comic series, along with Titan.
__________________
My name is Max. My world is fire and blood. - Mad Max: Fury Road coming May 15, 2015
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2008, 04:26 AM   #11
Rabid Trekkie
Lieutenant Commander
 
Rabid Trekkie's Avatar
 
Location: Pasadena, Tx
Re: Vanguard Episode Guide

bennyrex wrote: View Post
Hm... so instead of picking out single episodes, and watching and reading in a certain order, it's a matter of meshing all of Trek TV with all of the Vanguard series. It's a more holistic approach than the piecemeal-ish list I was looking for. Which is even more awesome, when I think about it, but it leaves no shortcuts for me other than to watch all of TOS... which really *is* something I should get around to doing anyway...
The original series is probably the best Trek, which is one of the things that attracted me to Vanguard in the first place. However there are some differences in tone and the type of storytelling done in Vanguard compared to TOS. Most of that comes from the fact that society isn't as uptight about certain things any more, I mean TOS was shocking by having one of the first bi-racial kisses, I can only imagine what people would have said if they could have read Vanguard back then. But once you allow for that difference, the two mesh together really well.
__________________
I'm a great one for rushing in where angels fear to tread. -James T. Kirk
Rabid Trekkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2008, 04:55 AM   #12
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Vanguard Episode Guide

Rabid Trekkie wrote: View Post
I mean TOS was shocking by having one of the first bi-racial kisses....
More than one, actually. Shatner also kissed France Nuyen, who's half-Vietnamese. That was actually filmed well before the Kirk-Uhura kiss, but aired later.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2008, 05:32 AM   #13
LutherSloan
Fleet Captain
 
LutherSloan's Avatar
 
Location: Doing the Federation's dirty work
Re: Vanguard Episode Guide

Since the series has a lot to do with the Tholians, I would watch 'The Tholian Web'.
__________________
Deputy Director, Section 31

Expand Medicare for All!!
LutherSloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
vanguard

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.