RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,676
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 551
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old August 26 2008, 05:33 AM   #46
voggmo
Commodore

Re: Wacky idea about aliens & "dark matter".

Whether you take me seriously is of no consequence. It is the fact of your refusal to partake of, or give consideration to the scientific analysis of the subject that establishes you have no eductaed, hence intelligent position or point of view on the subject.
voggmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2008, 05:43 AM   #47
voggmo
Commodore

& negative emotional, ( non scientific ), reactions to said subject are not only entirely illogical, but they also create & provide no progress whatsoever. Throwing stones at it because, ( for whatever reason ), one doesn't like it offers no measurable gain for either you or I, & at the end of the day does not change the subject or the scientific analysis results of it in any way shape or form.

The real question is why you're so frightened of it.
Old August 26 2008, 06:29 AM   #48
scotthm
Rear Admiral

voggmo wrote: View Post
It is the fact of your refusal to partake of, or give consideration to the scientific analysis of the subject that establishes you have no eductaed, hence intelligent position or point of view on the subject.
On the contrary, I believe my failure to get suckered into the cult of UFOlogy is a sign of intelligence.

The real question is why you're so frightened of it.
A better question is why do you care that I don't swallow your UFO line?

When you have something really convincing to talk about let me know.

---------------
scotthm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2008, 07:18 AM   #49
voggmo
Commodore

Ignoring science is not a sign of intelligence.

As I stated above, whether you take myself seriously is of no consequence. I have made no attempt to get you to swallow any line, only to partake of science & then reach your own conclusion. Your decision to ignore science & instead pitch negative & incorrect emotional inuendo is of no conseqence or intellectual value.
Old August 26 2008, 08:57 AM   #50
TerriO
Writer-type human

Each response was given at a different time, & as well had different material.
Doesn't matter.

And deliberately flouting it after having it pointed out to you isn't going to help your case.

Warned for spamming. Comments to PM.
Old August 27 2008, 05:45 PM   #51
Nedersong
Captain

Well, that's a pretty wild theory. A Dyson sphere that's the edge of the universe that expands into infinity and beyond.
Nedersong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2008, 12:45 AM   #52
voggmo
Commodore

No deliberate flouting,( 2 posts together is not multiple posting), but thanks for the incorrect inference & incorrect enforcement of rules.

Scott, I belong to no UFO cult, therefore have no membership to sell. Really have no idea what you mean there. I do know you don't like the subject, that being the case, why bother with it? If it is of no real interest?
Old August 28 2008, 01:55 AM   #53
scotthm
Rear Admiral

Scott, ...I do know you don't like the subject, that being the case, why bother with it? If it is of no real interest?
My skepticism that UFOs are alien spacecraft doesn't prevent the UFO phenomenon from interesting me.

---------------
Old August 28 2008, 02:16 AM   #54
voggmo
Commodore

Weird. You thumb your nose at evidence & a scientists view of said evidence,( & even refuse to weigh in said evidence), & then take potshots at the person providing it & the subject in general, & then say you find it interesting? Very odd to say the least. I don't recall ever calling any of my college professors cult people that taught subjects I was interested in. & I don't have any memory of others behaving in a negative way towards subjects they find interesting either. Very weird approach to take towards a subject one finds of interest.
Old August 28 2008, 02:45 AM   #55
TerriO
Writer-type human

No deliberate flouting,( 2 posts together is not multiple posting), but thanks for the incorrect inference & incorrect enforcement of rules.
First off, what part of "Comments to PM" wasn't clear?

Second, there were three posts in a row from you shortly after your "explanation".

So, you were cautioned about making three posts in a row, and then proceeded to offer a less-than-believable explanation, and then go and post three replies in a row again.

That's what earned you your infraction.

I highly advise learning to do multiple quotes and condense your replies, because I have a distinct feeling this isn't the last time you'll be dancing this tango with the staff.

Thus ends the discussion of this infraction in the thread. Voggmo, comments to PM if you wish to continue presenting a case for reversing the infraction. Even though Bonz said it was the right decision, I'm willing to listen to all sides of the issue.
Old August 28 2008, 03:42 AM   #56
voggmo
Commodore

Learn to count, all the above postage is 2 in a row, not 3. Wake up. & I did PM you.
Old August 28 2008, 03:45 AM   #57
voggmo
Commodore

Your infraction is located in the PM.
Old August 28 2008, 03:51 AM   #58
scotthm
Rear Admiral

You thumb your nose at evidence
No, I just don't assume that the most improbable explanation is the correct explanation.

& a scientists view of said evidence
Your evidence didn't look conclusive enough for me to be all that interested in the theories of other people making their own guesses. It was certainly interesting video, but I refuse to conclude that it shows alien spacecraft just because I can't offer an alternative explanation that's 100% conclusive. It's good enough that I can conceive of an alternate explanation that's massively more likely than alien visitation.

& then take potshots at the person providing it & the subject in general, & then say you find it interesting? Very odd to say the least. ...Very weird approach to take towards a subject one finds of interest.
I'm sorry if you feel I've been taking potshots at you; that wasn't my intention.

---------------
Old August 28 2008, 04:11 AM   #59
The Borg Queen
Rear Admiral

Why does it have to be aliens? It could be human time-travelers. You know, from the future.
Old August 28 2008, 04:52 AM   #60
TerriO
Writer-type human

Learn to count, all the above postage is 2 in a row, not 3. Wake up. & I did PM you.
Not before you took it to MA, which as you were reminded is against the rules.

And you have a PM or two in response.

And this really ends your derailing of this thread, voggmo. If you have anything further to discuss on the subject of this infraction, you know where my PM inbox is. Please do not disrupt the thread further.