Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old August 22 2008, 11:46 PM   #31
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

Re: Sexy Vulcan Women of Star Trek - T'Pol and Saavik

CaptJimboJones wrote: View Post
3D Master wrote: View Post
One of the greatest crimes the Enterprise production crew ever did: stuffing Jolene's magnificent, beautiful, strokeable hair underneath a Spock wig.
I agree 100% - Blalock has absolutely gorgeous hair, and it was a fucking crime that they didn't let her show it off. They were more than happy to stuff her in a skintight catsuit, so why not let her hair down??
I also have to agree. That haircut didn't even work for Moe Howard. Why did they think it would work with her?!

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2008, 12:56 AM   #32
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

SFRabid wrote: View Post
Not sure why people complain about her looks!

Absolutely gorgeous as usual. Starting from season 3 of ENT, Jolene's T'Pol was the best looking regular female character in all of Trek with the possible exception of Jeri Ryan's Seven of Nine. That includes the movies and ALL of the T.V. shows.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2008, 02:36 PM   #33
Forbin
Admiral

Hm. Eye of the beholder, I guess.
She's pretty, but there are prettier.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2008, 10:45 PM   #34
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny

I prefer Robin Curtis as Saavik myself, but Kirstie did look kinda hot back then.

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2008, 11:18 PM   #35
matthunter
Vice Admiral

We only saw her from behind, but what I saw I liked - the Vulcan woman who Jake and Nog see sashaying down the Promenade and collectively exclaim "Whoa!!"
If you're frustrated with a smug, arrogant right-wing nutjob poster who never backs up their arguments and twists out of answering straight questions, try the Ignore feature! Now with raspberry filling.
matthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2008, 03:25 PM   #36
Agent Richard07
Retired

I thought Kirstie Alley looked great, especially during the turbolift scene when she was out of her duty uniform and her hair was down.

As for Jolene, that pic above is one of the best I've ever seen of her. She looks more natural and not plastic and emaciated which is what she looks like in most of her pics. And about the long hair on T'Pol, I speculated early on in the series that they'd let it get longer toward the end and that she'd have a more human disposition. Unfortunately the show got cancelled before that happened, but it was going in that direction wasn't it?
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2008, 03:45 PM   #37
3D Master
Rear Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I thought Kirstie Alley looked great, especially during the turbolift scene when she was out of her duty uniform and her hair was down.

As for Jolene, that pic above is one of the best I've ever seen of her. She looks more natural and not plastic and emaciated which is what she looks like in most of her pics. And about the long hair on T'Pol, I speculated early on in the series that they'd let it get longer toward the end and that she'd have a more human disposition. Unfortunately the show got cancelled before that happened, but it was going in that direction wasn't it?
Longer hair is not a Vulcan disposition as you imply. We've seen Vulcan women with long hair in TOS Amok Time, and in some of the movies IIRC.

The only reason why T'Pol and every other Vulcan since TNG has Spock hair, is because the producers decided that every member of species that is not Human has to look, talk, and think EXACTLY the same, right down to the hair. And of course, of the same token, we can have no other species (even if they are the same species, aka Romulans) look like any other species.

And why? Well, audiences are stupid, you see, you couldn't possibly expect them to understand when a member of a species doesn't look exactly the same is still a member of that species, right? And one organization/culture being an offshot of another species? God forbid! They'll be completely confused if we don't make it clear!
3D Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2008, 04:59 PM   #38
SFRabid
Commodore

What I don't understand is why do it with Vulcans when they don't do it with Klingons. You see a variety of hair on Klingons.
SFRabid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2008, 05:11 PM   #39
3D Master
Rear Admiral

SFRabid wrote: View Post
What I don't understand is why do it with Vulcans when they don't do it with Klingons. You see a variety of hair on Klingons.
They do? They seem to be no more diversity in Klingon hair than in Vulcan hair. They all got it lose and long over the shoulders.
Old August 27 2008, 05:27 PM   #40
Iamnotspock
Captain

FleetLord wrote: View Post
Wow, surprised no one has said Lt. Valaras (Kim Cattral) from ST6. Back in the day Kim was very hot and even as a Vulcan quite sexy, of course you get to see here bare all later on in HBO's Sex in the City series.
You got to see her bare all nine years earlier in Porky's as well.
Iamnotspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2008, 06:44 PM   #41
ClayinCA
Commodore

^^ And it was "all" good.
ClayinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2008, 12:47 AM   #42
cbp44189
Commander

Just been watching Enterprise's "Twilight,"

T'pol wins.
cbp44189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2008, 01:37 AM   #43
Red Ranger
Admiral

Longer hair is not a Vulcan disposition as you imply. We've seen Vulcan women with long hair in TOS Amok Time, and in some of the movies IIRC.

The only reason why T'Pol and every other Vulcan since TNG has Spock hair, is because the producers decided that every member of species that is not Human has to look, talk, and think EXACTLY the same, right down to the hair. And of course, of the same token, we can have no other species (even if they are the same species, aka Romulans) look like any other species.

And why? Well, audiences are stupid, you see, you couldn't possibly expect them to understand when a member of a species doesn't look exactly the same is still a member of that species, right? And one organization/culture being an offshot of another species? God forbid! They'll be completely confused if we don't make it clear!
3D:

Yes, I agree with you that making all members of a species look so much alike is boring. There may be a practical budgetary reason: Having wigs of the same type means the costumers know exactly what to stick on the heads of the actors. Guess you could also call it creative laziness.

As I recall, though, there are two Vulcans who don't fit the Spock/Sarek mold: Tuvok and T'Pol.

They pretty much kept Tim Russ's natural hair and just cut it short, instead of slapping a wig on his dome.

And while T'Pol did wear a wig, her hair color and skin tone was different than that of most Vulcans we've seen before.

Red Ranger

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman
Red Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2008, 10:54 AM   #44
3D Master
Rear Admiral

Red Ranger wrote: View Post

3D:

Yes, I agree with you that making all members of a species look so much alike is boring. There may be a practical budgetary reason: Having wigs of the same type means the costumers know exactly what to stick on the heads of the actors. Guess you could also call it creative laziness.
If the budgetary challenged TOS could have different hairdos for Vulcans, why can't the much less budgetary challenged later series? In the same token, even if that were the reason for the shows, why do we see the same pattern for aliens of the movies?

The simple fact is, it's not what this is about. Every alien species has to be the same for the producers twisted reasons, and they're not budgetary.

Indeed, look at B5, less budget than Star Trek, and each alien from a species is different, different skin tones and blodge patterns, different hairdo, shorter, longer. Each member of a species had slightly different make-up and prosthetics, each Centauri had different hairdo, and they weren't wearing wigs most of the time from what I can tell. Doing the hair like that costs more time, energy and money than sticking a wig on them, and the budgetary challenged show pulled it off, but Star Trek didn't. So it's got nothing to do with budget.

Indeed, if the aliens do NOT have the same hairdos, there's also no such problem with "knowing exactly what to stick on the heads", because every actor would be DIFFERENT, so if there even was a wig that went on there, it doesn't really matter if you got the wrong one, unless they're so blatantly wrong (like a white wig for Andorians on a Vulcan or some such), but then it's obvious and it never occurs.

And while T'Pol did wear a wig, her hair color and skin tone was different than that of most Vulcans we've seen before.
I don't care about the color, it's the style that's the problem. It's the problem that it's a wig in the first place. Which rather disagrees with it being budgetary reasons. They could have simply used her own hair.
Old August 31 2008, 02:50 AM   #45
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

[quote=3D Master;1995773]
I

And the producers were wrong? You must be unaware of the stink kicked up around here by the fans when T'Pol didn't act the same as all other Vulcans.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote