Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy

Trek Retro Watches

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 26 2008, 11:18 PM   #16
Yassim
Fleet Captain

Re: Captain America (SPOILERS through #41)

I've enjoyed Brubaker's run on Cap, but after having read some of his other stuff, it strikes me that Bru doesn't really have any interest in Captain America. Instead of figuring out Cap and writing him, he killed Cap off and figured out how to turn the book into his kind of tortured-soul-tries-to-make-amends book.

Even when Cap was alive, he wasn't terribly central in the book... and then he got killed off. As far as I can see, if Steve ever comes back, Bru will want to keep writing Bucky, and he'll give away the Cap title.

It's not really a complaint, but it's too bad Marvel had to kill Steve Rogers to make him interesting.
Old August 27 2008, 12:33 AM   #17
Gojirob
Rear Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
During the last election during his speeches, the audience and reporters all had to sign loyalty oaths to Bush and whoever was speaking otherwise they were turned away at the gate or not even allowed to purchase tickets or request free tickets.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004Jul31.html

I'm insanely younger than you then, but Oliver Stone does right by me.

Listening to Jessica Jones-Cage arguments about how she didn't want to be forced to wage war against all the little Muslim oil countries who argue with American foreign policy when she should be breast feeding was chilling. The 50 state initiative is about making an army who has no one to fight. When the House Committee of UnAmerican activities (Lead by you know who!) in the 50s told the Justice Society to unmask or Bugger off, well that seemed fine, it's not like everyone didn't accept that they were ignoring the laws against Vigilantism, it was a fair cop.
If by you-know-who you mean McCarthy, he was in the Senate, not the House. Unless you mean Nixon, though I don't think he ever led HUAC.
Old August 27 2008, 01:13 AM   #18
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Yassim wrote: View Post
I've enjoyed Brubaker's run on Cap, but after having read some of his other stuff, it strikes me that Bru doesn't really have any interest in Captain America. Instead of figuring out Cap and writing him, he killed Cap off and figured out how to turn the book into his kind of tortured-soul-tries-to-make-amends book.

Even when Cap was alive, he wasn't terribly central in the book... and then he got killed off. As far as I can see, if Steve ever comes back, Bru will want to keep writing Bucky, and he'll give away the Cap title.

It's not really a complaint, but it's too bad Marvel had to kill Steve Rogers to make him interesting.
I don't agree there; the Steve portion of the run up until #25 I thought was excellent (made me a huge fan of the character). In those issues, Bucky is basically a plot device to trigger an emotional reaction in Captain America; the story is very much about Steve.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2008, 01:44 AM   #19
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Gojirob wrote: View Post
During the last election during his speeches, the audience and reporters all had to sign loyalty oaths to Bush and whoever was speaking otherwise they were turned away at the gate or not even allowed to purchase tickets or request free tickets.

Listening to Jessica Jones-Cage arguments about how she didn't want to be forced to wage war against all the little Muslim oil countries who argue with American foreign policy when she should be breast feeding was chilling. The 50 state initiative is about making an army who has no one to fight. When the House Committee of UnAmerican activities (Lead by you know who!) in the 50s told the Justice Society to unmask or Bugger off, well that seemed fine, it's not like everyone didn't accept that they were ignoring the laws against Vigilantism, it was a fair cop.
If by you-know-who you mean McCarthy, he was in the Senate, not the House. Unless you mean Nixon, though I don't think he ever led HUAC.
Ah... You're talking about the real world. I've done some googling... Some comic book author was as bad at history as me, and they had McCarthy working along side Huac as a double threat to dispose of the JSA. Of course their dismissal has been rendered a couple times by different people and maybe some of them got it right within the borders of real world continuity.

Did you read the issue of ???? (Civil War #1?) where the armed soldiers told Steve that he was a Capebuster or he was going to be marched into detention? Other writers have soft shoed bad memories of those events, but it's no worse than when the seedy elements of the Reagan administration tired to make Cap pay back taxes on his back wages from being in the army while he was sleeping in near the north pole as soon as they were sure he'd spent all the million dollar hand out they gave him.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2008, 02:07 AM   #20
Gojirob
Rear Admiral

Gojirob wrote: View Post

Ah... You're talking about the real world. I've done some googling... Some comic book author was as bad at history as me, and they had McCarthy working along side Huac as a double threat to dispose of the JSA. Of course their dismissal has been rendered a couple times by different people and maybe some of them got it right within the borders of real world continuity.

Did you read the issue of ???? (Civil War #1?) where the armed soldiers told Steve that he was a Capebuster or he was going to be marched into detention? Other writers have soft shoed bad memories of those events, but it's no worse than when the seedy elements of the Reagan administration tired to make Cap pay back taxes on his back wages from being in the army while he was sleeping in near the north pole as soon as they were sure he'd spent all the million dollar hand out they gave him.
You are correct. I'd forgotten that bit of JSA mis-history. Actually, you bring up a good point from that earlier Cap storyline. I can accept that some people in government are borderline authoritarian, but the US government seems replete with the Skull's followers. And they have never explained to my satisfaction how he became Secretary Of Defense. Cabinet officers are vetted--if not shredded--during the nomination process. A guy from nowhere just can't get in there. He'd have an easier time getting in as VP.

In Cap 350, at the conclusion of the Cap No More storyline, the Skull bragged that he would always have infinite schemes running. But all the setbacks he's encountered have to have taxed that somewhat. When he meets defeat, I hope Brubaker at least makes it a real defeat, not a chuckle followed by the Skull conquers the Balkans two issues later.
Old August 27 2008, 02:32 AM   #21
Yassim
Fleet Captain

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
I don't agree there; the Steve portion of the run up until #25 I thought was excellent (made me a huge fan of the character). In those issues, Bucky is basically a plot device to trigger an emotional reaction in Captain America; the story is very much about Steve.
Really? I liked the book a lot, but I was surprised at how much Cap was sharing his own title. At times, the book could have been titled SHIELD. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, but Cap didn't feel central to things. So when he was killed, it seemed like Bru was more interested in the entourage than the star.

He's doing great things with the entourage, so I can't really complain. It just struck me as odd that he took one of Marvel's most white-bread characters, and gave his book new life by generating a tapestry of noir espionage (much like some of his other books) and then taking the character out.

I might not be giving Bru enough credit for writing Steve Rogers well, because it's not a very flamboyant assignment - it's not like writing good dialogue for Spiderman, or Wolverine, or Magneto, where it's obvious whether the character is on or not. Steve doesn't have as many obvious tics as a lot of characters, and Bru did some nice subtle stuff with him. "I've been punched by the Hulk. This is nothing."
Old August 27 2008, 02:52 AM   #22
CaptainCanada
Admiral

The noir espionage thing, while taken to a new stylistic level here, has a lot of precedent in his older stories; he's been regularly employed by SHIELD since the Lee run; Brubaker just made it more Bauer than Bond, I think.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is online now   Reply With Quote