Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy

Trek Retro Watches

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old August 26 2008, 04:56 PM   #196
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Re: Visual Proof a Resdesign is a good thing

[QUOTE=Cary L. Brown;1991379][quote=Starship Polaris;1991310]
Vektor wrote: View Post
Do we know, for a fact, that the same people doing the FX for the movie did the trailer? Or could this trailer have been "subcontracted?" Happens all the time in other fields... and we see plenty of FX houses doing work even on a single film. So is it possible that what we saw there is "studio A's" take on a sequence which will never even appear on-film, while "studio B" is doing the stuff which we'll see on-screen?
In the past, lower-end facilities have knocked out fx for trek TNG trailers, but I don't think that was the case here. ILM does farm out overflow or model work, but this doesn't qualify as either. Plus the shots in the middle of the trailer look good, now that I have seem them in higher quality (though I still don't like the last shot that rises up to show the E, way too painterly for my taste.)
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2008, 08:05 PM   #197
ST-One
Vice Admiral

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
I like it a lot, but of course it's not what we're getting.
No, it’s not what we’re getting, but I hold out hope that what we’re getting may be a lot closer to the original than most people think.
I think that, besides the gerneral shape, this new Enterprise will look quite a bit different than the one we all know and 'love' - at least if they stick with what was hinted at in the teaser.

I doubt that the creative team would redesign the sets, uniforms, insignias and that shuttle just to give us a far too familiar 'new' Enterprise.
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2008, 09:10 PM   #198
Vektor
Rear Admiral

ST-One wrote: View Post
I think that, besides the gerneral shape, this new Enterprise will look quite a bit different than the one we all know and 'love' - at least if they stick with what was hinted at in the teaser.

I doubt that the creative team would redesign the sets, uniforms, insignias and that shuttle just to give us a far too familiar 'new' Enterprise.
I'm not at all convinced that the ship we saw in the teaser is the one we're going to see in the movie. There are a number of things in the teaser to suggest that the 3D model was built either somewhat hastily or without a fully refined blueprint. I also question whether or not the design for the ship had been locked down--or even seriously begun--that early in the production schedule. Perhaps it was, I really don't know, but the trailer was finished several months before they even began principle photography, let alone post production, and that leaves a lot of time and opportunity for further changes.

As for the creative team and their desire to change things, at least one of the items you mention, the uniforms, has apparently turned out to be far more authentic than practically anyone ever thought they would be.

J.J. Abrams is the type of person who likes to defy expectations and do things his own way regardless of conventional wisdom. Almost everyone out there is saying that he would NEVER use anything close to the original Enterprise design in the new movie, but I wouldn't put it past him to damn well do it anyway.
Old August 26 2008, 09:31 PM   #199
gastrof
Rear Admiral

My attempt at visual proof that [radical] redesign is not always necessary:

Your milage may vary.

As said once before when someone presented a similar "updating", I can't see any differences, and this is from one of the "CHANGE NOTHING!" people.

If JJ did something like this, I'd be fully satisfied.
Old August 26 2008, 09:50 PM   #200
gastrof
Rear Admiral

...I doubt that the creative team would redesign the sets, uniforms, insignias and that shuttle just to give us a far too familiar 'new' Enterprise.
The uniforms look nearly identical to the originals.
Old August 26 2008, 10:22 PM   #201
Guartho
Rear Admiral

3D Master wrote: View Post

There would be no gravity in the shafts AT ALL. Why would you even put gravity generators in there?

There's no point. It only endangers people.

And STV the whole scene with the turbo lift shaft is just humorous fluff.
Obviously you missed these parts

Guartho wrote: View Post
in certain emergency situations,
Guartho wrote: View Post
the gravity may have been turned on simply as part of whatever maintenance was being performed at the time.
Human beings work much more efficiently in gravity and air than out. We're just used to things being that way. It makes perfect sense to have gravity available in a turboshaft. That way you can have it when you want it and have it off when you don't.

If the gravity system is part of the inertial damping system it also makes perfect sense for all gravity generators to revert to a default on/1g setting if they're cut off from whatever normally controls them. If the gravity system is not independent of inertial damping, anyone caught working in a shaft when the ship moved would be a smear on the wall. If it is independent than it may not be necessary.

(AKA "Mr. Donkey Kong King" for no apparent reason)
Guartho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2008, 07:31 AM   #202
ST-One
Vice Admiral

gastrof wrote: View Post
...I doubt that the creative team would redesign the sets, uniforms, insignias and that shuttle just to give us a far too familiar 'new' Enterprise.
The uniforms look nearly identical to the originals.
Have we seen them (apart from the glimpses in the cast posters)?
We have heard that they are similar but not exactly the same - and it will be the same with the Enterprise I think.

Last edited by ST-One; August 27 2008 at 07:40 AM.
Old August 27 2008, 07:39 AM   #203
ST-One
Vice Admiral

I'm not at all convinced that the ship we saw in the teaser is the one we're going to see in the movie. There are a number of things in the teaser to suggest that the 3D model was built either somewhat hastily or without a fully refined blueprint. I also question whether or not the design for the ship had been locked down--or even seriously begun--that early in the production schedule. Perhaps it was, I really don't know, but the trailer was finished several months before they even began principle photography, let alone post production, and that leaves a lot of time and opportunity for further changes.
I agree that it is quite possible that the teaser ship will have gone through quite a few changes until it became the ship used in the film.
If it is not even the base-model for the new ship, then I at least hope that they stick to new design for the Bussard-collectors/nacelles.

J.J. Abrams is the type of person who likes to defy expectations and do things his own way regardless of conventional wisdom. Almost everyone out there is saying that he would NEVER use anything close to the original Enterprise design in the new movie, but I wouldn't put it past him to damn well do it anyway.
Count me in as someone who would love to see the original Enterprise (with upgrades like you proposed with your model) on the big screen.
Old August 27 2008, 03:59 PM   #204
Eric Cheung
Fleet Captain

One thing that will probably be the same is the font because that font was on the shuttles in they spy shots. Also, I think that the ship as seen in the teaser seems to be similar to the shuttles from those spy shots. So while the ship in the teaser may not be the final product, it's probably pretty close to what we'll see.
Eric Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote