Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old May 27 2008, 09:10 PM   #406
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

Re: Ratings are in !

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
So this thread was brought back up to show Monkeys? Yeah, it's time to close this damn thing down.
I pretty much loath the phrase but this thread has finally umped the fucking shark full force. Monkeys come up and it's the end of everything.
Old May 27 2008, 09:11 PM   #407
Cyrus
Rear Admiral

sidious618 wrote: View Post
Cyrus wrote: View Post
I had a feeling this thread would get bumped after the post I made in that "Does Season Four suck?" thread.

Anyway, BSG is now back to the same level as season 3. The new viewers who were sampling the show are gone, so it's just us hardcore dudes left.
Accoding to SyFy Portal ratings are up a bit, actually.

Not that it bloody matters.
I wouldn't count on SyFy portal for reliable rating information. The actual rating info for past seasons and this season has been posted in this thread ad nauseum. Season 3 was mainly in the 1.1-1.4 rating range and that's what season 4 is getting now.

And you are right. It doesn't matter.
Old May 28 2008, 03:53 AM   #408
Kitty Worrier
Rear Admiral

At least BSG did better than ECW.
Old May 28 2008, 04:02 AM   #409
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

nuBSG has done well enough to get four seasons for the producers to tell their story. The Larson version didn't do well enough to get a second year as such.
Old May 28 2008, 06:55 AM   #410
jimbtnp2
Commander

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
nuBSG has done well enough to get four seasons for the producers to tell their story. The Larson version didn't do well enough to get a second year as such.
What story?

As the Battlestar Turns?.... ZZZZZZzzzzzzzz
Old August 26 2008, 04:54 PM   #411
Garth Rockett
Commodore

While we're waiting for new episodes, here's a little article that discusses BSG's ratings, and what they do (or don't) mean.

http://www.newsarama.com/tv/ap-08082...ams-ahead.html
Old August 26 2008, 07:51 PM   #412
solariabsg25
Captain

View solariabsg25's Twitter Profile

To be honest I think that the ratings system has been on a slippery slope to being immaterial since the introduction of the home VCR.

But now, with streaming, Tivo and all the other methods, it seems that the powers that be are realising that there is much more than just the paper ratings to a show.

Let's put it this way - are there DVDs on the shelves of American Idol, Dancing with the Stars, etc? Cos if the Nielsens were a true reflection of a show's popularity, then Battlestar Galactica should be no-where near the top twenty DVDs, yet consistantly whenever I've gone into a store on week of release, it's been in the top three.

And as that article states, no-one would make spin-offs from a failure.
Old August 26 2008, 07:57 PM   #413
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Bitching about Nielsens is useless. Unless there is another system put in place, with similar scope, that can be used as a comparison, there is no way to know if the Nielsens are wrong. And even then, if there was a discrepency, a third system would have to be created as a tie-breaker. There's no way anyone's going to fund these two shadow-Nielsens systems so we'll never know the truth.

What's far more interesting is the impact of DVD sales and TiVO (and paid downloads). But the story, like all these kinds of stories, is frustratingly short on specifics. How exactly do new revenue streams factor into business decisions about renewal of shows?

If the Nielsens drop 10%, how many DVD sets need to be sold to make up the difference? How many paid downloads make up the difference? Since only a minority (though reportedly a sizable one) of TiVO viewers watch ads, how much are TiVO ratings discounted versus Nielsens? How much does it matter that TiVO viewers are watching ads "at the wrong time" (many ads are time-sensitive)? TiVO households are unrepresentative of the general public (better educated, higher income, more white) - some advertisers want that demographic, but many don't - how is that factored in?

During Jericho's second season, the show was routinely #1 on iTunes' download list each week after it aired. It was cancelled anyway. How many more downloads would it have taken to avoid the axe?

What are the trends in alternative revenue streams? Are DVDs more important than paid downloads or vice versa? Is one overtaking the other? What is the relative importance of the various revenue streams now, and what will the balance be ten years from now?

Anyone who runs across a story like this that tells us something useful for a change, please post it. I'm really curious to know but nobody's talking (probably because this competitive info that businesses are loathe to reveal).
Old August 26 2008, 10:14 PM   #414
Garth Rockett
Commodore

I suspect we'll never see any detailed discussion on the issues you raise, Temis, because many of those variables will differ from show to show based on the financial models present.

With the specific case of BSG, we can draw the conclusion that the show is making a profit for Universal. Otherwise, as the article points out, they wouldn't be laying out money for more product. Ergo, the ratings don't effectively capture BSG's full earnings power. The same may or may not be true for other shows.

Beyond that, we'll never know as businesses aren't likely to get into the nuts and bolts of those things with the public. However, I do think it's interesting that technology has changed things to the point that the old measures of success are no longer the only means of determing success.
Old August 26 2008, 11:01 PM   #415
solariabsg25
Captain

View solariabsg25's Twitter Profile

Problem is Temis I agree that though I believe the Nielsons aren't really much of a yardstick for the modern viewers, I still don't know how anyone can possibly do better. It would definately take a total re-vamping of the entire system.

It's like if say Family A watched channel 1 at 8 on a Friday, Family B watched channel 2 at same time, and Family C watched channel 3, yet all three families taped the same show that was showing the same time on channel 4. The channel 4 show would be physically watched by three times as many people, but wouldn't even show up on the Nielsons.

But I'm sure the money-making machine weighs up the revenue from downloads, selling to other networks, and DVD sales against lost advertising revenue. These secret calculations are the ones that decide if a show lives or dies. Could also explain why some shows that deserve to die can hang on for season after season, while others are cut horribly short. Hey, I may not have liked Jericho but that was simply cos it didn't quite catch me, but I can certainly see it had potential.

Thing is on Neilsons alone if that was the true yardstick, basically all we'd have would be reality TV, soaps, cop shows and game shows, with very little if any genre shows in sight.

Last edited by solariabsg25; August 26 2008 at 11:09 PM.
Old August 28 2008, 11:02 PM   #416
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I suspect we'll never see any detailed discussion on the issues you raise, Temis, because many of those variables will differ from show to show based on the financial models present.
But some generalizations could be made. I'm pretty sure that sf/f shows - and any sort of serialized show - benefits more from downloads/DVD sales than sitcoms, police procedurals and reality shows. You can see that in the difference between the list of top-rated shows vs the list of top downloads or DVD sales.

Since this is about the financial basis of the entertainment biz, someone is making those generalizations now, in great detail, and giving them to the boss to make decisions on. They just won't share, darnit!

One other suspicion of mine: the sudden upsurge in sf/f series as a percentage of overall new shows is due to those generalizations. Somebody has realized that even if a new show sucks in the Neilsens, and most of them do, that sf/f shows can still be salvaged by downloads and DVD sales. Also, the international market is an unknown factor, but I'm thinking that helps sf/f as well.

It's interesting that Chuck, with its marginal ratings from last season, has already gotten a full season order from NBC, even though the season hasn't even begun. That's probably partly due to NBC's overall desperation, but if Chuck didn't have genre appeal, would they have been so generous?
Old August 30 2008, 05:20 PM   #417
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

Garth Rockett wrote: View Post
While we're waiting for new episodes, here's a little article that discusses BSG's ratings, and what they do (or don't) mean.

http://www.newsarama.com/tv/ap-08082...ams-ahead.html
that article says it averaged 2.2 million in for season 4.0? Only down slightly from season 1's average?
Old August 30 2008, 08:36 PM   #418
Harvey
Admiral

Viewers have been slightly up, at least early on in season four, but I have to wonder if that number includes DVRs, too.
Old August 31 2008, 06:52 AM   #419
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

Viewers may be up for season 4.0 but I'm sure the show has only gotten more expensive, especially now with the Canadian exchange rate.

Old September 11 2008, 06:35 PM   #420
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Kaijufan wrote: View Post
Viewers may be up for season 4.0 but I'm sure the show has only gotten more expensive, especially now with the Canadian exchange rate.
Probably not - all the live action stuff was shot and 'in the can' before the dollar's nosedive really hit. I doubt CGI rates had much of a change and that is all that's left to complete th series. The cost for the post series telefilm will probably be up quite a bit though.