Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 25 2008, 01:29 AM   #46
Christopher
Writer

Re: Why No 1960s Batman TV Series on VHS, DVD, etc.?

RookieBatman wrote: View Post
As for the question of cameos mucking up the works, I read about this Bob Hope movie called "The Paleface," a western comedy. Apparently, according to the IMDB trivia (or maybe Wikipedia?), Bob Hope had so much influence back then that he got a crazy amount of cameos from all the western superluminaries of the time. He had James Arness as Matt Dillon, James Garner as Brett Maverick, Fess Parker as Davy Crockett, and others. It seems that no TV presentation or video release of The Paleface has ever been totally complete, because they weren't allowed to use some of the cameos outside of the theatrical release. I don't know any of the whys and wherefores of that, but there might be a similar situation like that for Batman.
In that case, the issue would probably be the use of copyrighted characters, not the appearance of the actors. Although it's true that a couple of the "window cameos" in Batman were performers in character as their contemporary sitcom roles (though not explicitly named as such), including Werner Klemperer as Col. Klink and Ted Cassidy as Lurch.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2008, 01:36 AM   #47
RookieBatman
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
RookieBatman wrote: View Post
As for the question of cameos mucking up the works, I read about this Bob Hope movie called "The Paleface," a western comedy. Apparently, according to the IMDB trivia (or maybe Wikipedia?), Bob Hope had so much influence back then that he got a crazy amount of cameos from all the western superluminaries of the time. He had James Arness as Matt Dillon, James Garner as Brett Maverick, Fess Parker as Davy Crockett, and others. It seems that no TV presentation or video release of The Paleface has ever been totally complete, because they weren't allowed to use some of the cameos outside of the theatrical release. I don't know any of the whys and wherefores of that, but there might be a similar situation like that for Batman.
In that case, the issue would probably be the use of copyrighted characters, not the appearance of the actors. Although it's true that a couple of the "window cameos" in Batman were performers in character as their contemporary sitcom roles (though not explicitly named as such), including Werner Klemperer as Col. Klink and Ted Cassidy as Lurch.
Yeah, now that you mention it, that's probably true. Although, since we've no way to see those Paleface cameos, there's no way to know whether a character was specifically identified as Davy Crockett, or whether it was just Fess Parker in a coonskin cap. That could probably still cause problems, though.
Old August 25 2008, 01:44 AM   #48
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

Klink? How'd they manage that? Batman shows up at Stalag 13?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2008, 02:42 AM   #49
Christopher
Writer

No, it was just one of their bits where B&R were climbing up the side of a building on a rope (actually a horizontal building facade with the camera turned sideways) and a celebrity would pop out of a window and exchange a few lines with them before they resumed their climb. No attempt was made to explain the anachronism of Klemperer/Klink's appearance, because he wasn't explicitly acknowledged as Col. Klink (although I believe Batman did ask him to pass along his regards to Col. Hogan).

Old August 25 2008, 03:51 AM   #50
Gojirob
Rear Admiral

Another example of how even creativity was freer then. If a cameo worked, and if you could do it, you just did it. One time on The Lucy Show, she was inducted by mistake, and when the mistake was corrected, the Sarge said that he could never imagine a bigger screw-up than her. On that cue, in walks Jim Nabors, playing you-know-who in all but name. Prolly in those days, Lucy called Danny Thomas (Producer of Andy Griffith and Gomer Pyle), and DT said 'Sure!' and that was that.
Old August 25 2008, 03:52 AM   #51
The Dead Mixer
Vice Admiral

Look what I found: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHD_53UqBeA

They might have trouble with the use of the Addam's Family theme in this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT5dz...eature=related
Old August 25 2008, 07:49 AM   #52
ITHell
Vice Admiral

In my experience, the Adam West Batman is a show that you love as a serious adventure series when you're a kid, then dismiss as silly and campy when you reach adolescence and want to take everything seriously
Not me.

It never fell out of favour with me at any stage, even when I did the "serious adolescent" thing. Later on from that, I remember it being re-run in the mornings back in the late 80's, so I'd watch it before I went to work. It always put a smile on my face. Especially when Julie Newmar was guest-villainessing.

For me, Batman works best when it's at extremes - totally silly and camp, or totally serious. Therefore I love the 60's stuff and the Nolan movies pretty much equally.
Old August 25 2008, 12:14 PM   #53
Baldus885
Captain

In my experience, the Adam West Batman is a show that you love as a serious adventure series when you're a kid, then dismiss as silly and campy when you reach adolescence and want to take everything seriously, then love again when you're fully grown up and finally figure out that it was a sitcom and was intentionally silly and campy, not to mention quite clever and subversive at times.
Absolutely. I saw the movie last year after about 25 years, I was surprised as my reaction; it's a work of genius. I absolutely loved it, and I loved the show when I was a kid.
Baldus885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2008, 12:21 PM   #54
The Squire of Gothos
Rear Admiral

N-121973 wrote: View Post
If thats the case, whats the story with the first Batman movie (1966)? Why wasn't that affected by this dispute?
Not sure, but I picked up a copy for good measure myself.

"Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!"
Old August 25 2008, 01:48 PM   #55
Christopher
Writer

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
Good grief, that was awful. Not one of their better-written window gags.

Old August 25 2008, 03:31 PM   #56
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

I've never stopped enjoying 60's Batman at any age either, at least the third season.

Being exposed to Yvonne Craig in purple pleather, frequently in bondage, greatly affected my 8 year old mind and eventual sexuality. The scene with Batman, Robin and Batgirl "tied up" in the Siamese Human Knot is forever burned into my fantasy life.
LaxScrutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2008, 04:01 PM   #57
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
Good grief, that was awful. Not one of their better-written window gags.
Perhaps this one is better...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUuv_fEJMpI&feature=related

I just love the introductions...
Old August 25 2008, 08:09 PM   #58
I Grok Spock
Fleet Captain

Fantastic show, one of the staples of my afternoon TV-watching as a child of the late 70s and early 80s. I hope they can work something out someday, as my cruddy VHS recordings are not improving with age.

Plus, imagining Yvonne Craig and Julie Newmar in digital (or even HD) clarity? Meow!
Old August 26 2008, 12:04 AM   #59
The Dead Mixer
Vice Admiral

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
"Gosh, Batman, what're they dressed like that for?" A very standard comic book line, but Ward's delivery nails it.

This one has to top them all for pure absurdity:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4_5j...eature=related
Old August 26 2008, 12:24 AM   #60
Christopher
Writer

Santa was played there by Andy Devine, a noted comedic character actor of the day. Interesting that Batman actually breaks the fourth wall and speaks right to the camera.

And have you noticed that they're always climbing the exact same wall with the exact same scenery behind it?