Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 23 2008, 06:31 PM   #16
Bacl
Fleet Captain

Re: Frame Of Mind

Great episode, but I always hate the "It was just a dream" endings. I'd rather it had been a real psychological game aided by drugs, or something.

As soon as he starts shooting at the walls and they shatter....meh.
Old August 24 2008, 05:19 AM   #17
AstroMike
Captain

A great episode. When I was watching it when it first aired it was a dark and stormy night. It really added to the atmosphere of the episode. I had also had a hectic and crazy day work. It almost felt like I was going insane just watching it. One of Next Gen's best of the series.
AstroMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2008, 09:30 PM   #18
Red Ranger
Admiral

I really like this ep. It's like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest in space! LOL! I always enjoyed the TNG eps that depend on confusion and internal drama -- like Phantasms and Parallels. Also, the somewhat subtle clue of Riker bleeding from his temple, indicating something was attached there, as it turned out. Sure, Frakes was a bit over the top, but his frustration and confusion needed to be conveyed. My favorite freak-out moment is when you see his face in that circular widow and he's screaming his head off, "LET ME OUT OF HEEEEERRRRE!!" -- RR

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman
Red Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2008, 10:08 PM   #19
SiorX
Fleet Captain

WillsBabe wrote: View Post
acappellasaurus wrote: View Post
What's with Crusher though? She's all up on Riker like she wants him! Any other thoughts here?
She does. Well, that's a flippant comment but I know what you mean. She is all over him in this episode - the "how do you feel" scene in his bathroom being just one example. I sometimes think that she's just a director encouraging her actor, then I think of fandom subtext and think there's far more to it than that!
I've noticed before that Crusher's pretty touchy-feely with everyone. While the rest of them mostly interact with their hands rigidly held at their sides, Beverly basically just gropes the hell out of everybody, up to and including Worf.

One of the reasons it's so noticable in Frame of Mind is probably because we don't get to see Crusher and Riker interact often enough. That episode always makes me wish we'd seen more of their friendship. (It also makes me believe - based on no evidence other than that I want it to be true - that at some stage in their seven years on the Enterprise, Beverly and Will totally had the kind of night where a few too many beers ends up in dumb-but-fun friend sex.)

Frame of Mind is a brilliant episode. Even now, when we've seen that kind of episode done on a hundred other shows since, I think it bears up to re-watching. It's Trek at it's best imo, experimental and thoughtful without being trite.
SiorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2008, 11:03 PM   #20
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

^They did have that kind of night, but there was a Trill involved rather than a few beers....

Now I haven't seen this episode since not long after it originally aired, but I hated it at the time for the reason that Bacl touches upon--the complete reset button at the end, where nothing that we'd seen had actually happened anywhere but in Will's head.

Last edited by The Old Mixer; August 25 2008 at 02:11 AM.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2008, 11:24 PM   #21
Red Ranger
Admiral

I have to say a few too many fans are irked way too much by the infamous reset button. Get over it! -- RR

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 24 2008, 11:32 PM   #22
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

This was one of the first times that the "reset button" really ruined my enjoyment of an episode, years before I was familiar with that term via the Internet. It was then that I came to the realization that episodes were far less satisfying when, at the end, it was revealed that nothing you'd seen had really happened. "It was all a dream" was an awful storytelling cliche long before Trek fans started calling it the "reset button".

So it isn't really fair to be telling my 1994 self to "get over" something that was only just bothering me for the first time.
Old August 25 2008, 12:04 AM   #23
Red Ranger
Admiral

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
This was one of the first times that the "reset button" really ruined my enjoyment of an episode, years before I was familiar with that term via the Internet. It was then that I came to the realization that episodes were far less satisfying when, at the end, it was revealed that nothing you'd seen had really happened. "It was all a dream" was an awful storytelling cliche long before Trek fans started calling it the "reset button".

So it isn't really fair to be telling my 1994 self to "get over" something that was only just bothering me for the first time.
All is fair on the Internet, Old Mixer! All is fair! -- RR

Old August 25 2008, 12:32 AM   #24
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post

Does the "it's all a dream" thing really effect this episode? It's still a struggle Riker went through in his mind.

For me this is one of TNG's better episodes as it's just disturbing and unsettling enough. It has always given me that uneasy feeling of delirium. Like the kind of delirium you have when running a high fever.
Old August 25 2008, 12:40 AM   #25
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

I acknowledge that whenever I get around to revisiting Season 6 via DVD, I may find more of what you guys see in the episode. But not having seen it since '94 or so, I have only my memory to go on. Like Bacl, I would have been cooler with it if they'd actually been playing psychological mind games with him in the waking world. It felt like such a cheat that he was just lying on a table the whole time, and was none the worse for the wear afterwards.
Old August 25 2008, 01:51 AM   #26
Moocey
Vice Admiral

It was one of my favorites the first time I saw it, but it doesn't really stand up to repeat viewings with me.
Moocey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2008, 02:05 AM   #27
RAMA
Vice Admiral

RyanKCR wrote: View Post
This is one of the few good TNG episodes. By the time they got to seasons 6 and 7 they started to finally have decent episodes. I actually started to look forward to them when these season's were on the air.

Looking back on this episode after getting my BA in Pscyhology is very interesting and fascinating. I actually used a similar concept in a story I wrote while still in college.
At "one of the few good episodes". There were literally DOZENS of episodes better than this one.

RAMA
Old August 25 2008, 04:35 AM   #28
Moocey
Vice Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post
RyanKCR wrote: View Post
This is one of the few good TNG episodes. By the time they got to seasons 6 and 7 they started to finally have decent episodes. I actually started to look forward to them when these season's were on the air.

Looking back on this episode after getting my BA in Pscyhology is very interesting and fascinating. I actually used a similar concept in a story I wrote while still in college.
At "one of the few good episodes". There were literally DOZENS of episodes better than this one.

RAMA
Seriously. Each season has quite a few good episodes - even seasons 1 and 2.
Moocey is offline   Reply With Quote