Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 22 2008, 05:03 PM   #91
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: "Superman Returns Again" still in limbo...

I'm iffy on this news. I don't think every DC Comics character needs to be taken in a darker direction. It worked for Batman because he is a darker character. The Dark Knight was not a success because it was a dark movie -- it was a success because it was a good movie.

As for the Superman news, while I would have liked to have seen a continuation of Superman Returns under the direction of Bryan Singer I am more than open to a new interpretation. Now the biggest question is, since this is a reboot, will we see any of the cast from Returns -- including Brandon Routh -- or a completely new cast? I'm assuming that we'll see a new actor as the Man of Steel, which is something I'm not entirely convinced is the best course of action.
Old August 22 2008, 05:09 PM   #92
Bad Bishop
Vice Admiral

Like the recent Batman sequel -- which has become the highest-grossing film of the year thus far -- Mr. Robinov wants his next pack of superhero movies to be bathed in the same brooding tone as "The Dark Knight." Creatively, he sees exploring the evil side to characters as the key to unlocking some of Warner Bros.' DC properties. "We're going to try to go dark to the extent that the characters allow it," he says. That goes for the company's Superman franchise as well.
Robinov thinks he's found a magic formula, but I doubt that Nolanizing Superman is such a brilliant idea.
Old August 22 2008, 05:11 PM   #93
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
Like the recent Batman sequel -- which has become the highest-grossing film of the year thus far -- Mr. Robinov wants his next pack of superhero movies to be bathed in the same brooding tone as "The Dark Knight." Creatively, he sees exploring the evil side to characters as the key to unlocking some of Warner Bros.' DC properties. "We're going to try to go dark to the extent that the characters allow it," he says. That goes for the company's Superman franchise as well.
Robinov thinks he's found a magic formula, but I doubt that Nolanizing Superman is such a brilliant idea.
Exactly. I'm a bit worried now. One of people's biggest complaints towards Superman Returns was how brooding and dramatic it was. Wouldn't you think they'd want to lighten it up for another go-around?
Old August 22 2008, 05:16 PM   #94
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

The best news coming out of that article is confirmation that WB is planning a much bigger push to get more DC films made, with DC superheroes getting individual films that lead up to team films. The prospect of two DC superhero films per year is awesome (if, of course, it pans out).

As for WB aiming to make dark films, note that he says as dark as each character allows. Overall, I take that as good news, too, since it means they'll be concentrating on making serious superhero films and not getting into any Jack Black as Green Lantern malarkey.
Old August 22 2008, 05:19 PM   #95
Harvey
Admiral

I liked Superman Returns, but we'll see, I guess. Worse comes to worse, WB will put out a number of comic book movies that I just don't care about and don't have to spend any money on to go see.

I'm just looking forward to another Nolan Batman film at this point. Anything else is gravy.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2008, 05:28 PM   #96
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
Exactly. I'm a bit worried now. One of people's biggest complaints towards Superman Returns was how brooding and dramatic it was. Wouldn't you think they'd want to lighten it up for another go-around?
I enjoy Returns. But I can easily see how people have problems with it, particularly tonally. Instead of "dark and brooding" the concept should be "tone which best suits the character". I don't know that Superman lends itself readily to dark and brooding, or that it should. The character always struck me as being most effective when it is used to evoke a sense of wonder from the extent of all those impossible powers. It's the clear eyed optimism of a superpowered farm boy in the face of all that darkness, which I think is what makes the character unique.

The challenge is not to make him darker, but to make those aspects work without being corny.

"F*** you! That's my name. You know why mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name."

Last edited by TheArsenal; August 22 2008 at 05:34 PM.
TheArsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2008, 05:44 PM   #97
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

WB seem to be missing the point here. As Jackson points out, dark worked for Batman because Bats is a dark character. Superman is the light to that darkness. One of the biggest complaints lobbed at SR was the downbeat mood. Not every movie needs to be as down or grim as TDK. Look at the success of Iron Man - a feelgood,light-hearted movie, which pleased pretty much everyone. Sure, no-one wants the next Superman movie to be like Batman and Robin or Superman III, but it has to find its own tone, not be a clone of TDK.

It's looking increasingly unlikely, but I still would like to see Routh return, albeit with a spunkier and older Lois and a more menacing, sinister Lex. Off the top of my head, Elizabeth Banks and Stanley Tucci?!
Old August 22 2008, 05:51 PM   #98
davejames
Vice Admiral

Ugh. As much as I wanted at least one followup to SR, I don't really have a problem with a fresh start. But "dark and brooding"? Isn't that the complaint most people already had with SR?

It's hard to get any darker than Superman getting the crap kicked out of him, watching him crawl through the muck, and then seeing him get stabbed in the back with kryptonite as he yells out in pain! Hell, I still find that scene in SR to be more powerful and disturbing than anything I saw in TDK.

If they want to give people a Superman movie they want to see, just make it light and fun and action-packed like Iron Man. It's not that hard to figure out.

(oops, looks like Captaindemotion beat me to it)
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2008, 06:04 PM   #99
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

A dark superman is not the way to go. That's why we never got those aborted plans of superman throwing knives, homicidal tendencies and choosing not to fly.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2008, 07:54 PM   #100
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Ugh. As much as I wanted at least one followup to SR, I don't really have a problem with a fresh start. But "dark and brooding"? Isn't that the complaint most people already had with SR?
I had the opposite complaint: that the film, amongst its many other faults, was corny, cheesy, and all-around impossible to take seriously. A dark Superman could work; my favourite version of the character is the JLU version, seasoned and perhaps a bit world-weary for it, concerned with the dynamic between his power, his notion of justice, and the free will of others. But then, my favourite 'Superman' concept is JMS' version of Hyperion in the Supremeverse, which squarely situates an entity of such power into the realpolitiks of the modern world.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
Old August 22 2008, 09:13 PM   #101
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

A darker Superman...puh-lease.

I hope they keep Routh as he was the best part of SR.