TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Closed Thread

Old August 21 2008, 04:10 AM   #76
Christopher
Writer

Re: Read & Reread "Greater Than The Sum"- My Opinion (Spoilers)

LightningStorm wrote: View Post
And as for the part still on the Rhea, I too (at first) took that exchange to mean there was some sort of affair going on with her commanding officer.
I am totally surprised by that. I was going for one friend plying another friend with comically exaggerated flattery and sweet talk to extract a favor. It never occurred to me that it might be interpreted as flirtatious in any way.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Old August 21 2008, 05:35 AM   #77
Dayton3
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
And as for the part still on the Rhea, I too (at first) took that exchange to mean there was some sort of affair going on with her commanding officer.
I am totally surprised by that. I was going for one friend plying another friend with comically exaggerated flattery and sweet talk to extract a favor. It never occurred to me that it might be interpreted as flirtatious in any way.
It does appear that way when you look at the total character in context.
Old August 21 2008, 05:39 AM   #78
Dayton3
Admiral

[quote=Dayton Ward;1968789]

Don't get too worked up about it. He goes through some variation of this cycle every year or so. He didn't do it last year, and it screwed up my whole late summer/early fall lawn care schedule, so, personally, I'm glad he's back on the job.
quote]

I do not know what you are talking about.

I had a series of posts a couple of years ago where I openly disagreed with writers and editors of Star Trek who were maintaining there was no profitable market for Star Trek technical manuals and similiar publications.

I maintained that they could not know that without actually publishing something.

The reaction I got from many was "My god! He is disagreeing with writers!! People who produce Star Trek material FOR MONEY are here blessing us with their presence, and he has the gall to disagree with them!! Shut him up before the writers get irritated and refuse to post here anymore!!.
Old August 21 2008, 05:55 AM   #79
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Dayton3 wrote: View Post
I do not know what you are talking about.

I had a series of posts a couple of years ago where I openly disagreed with writers and editors of Star Trek who were maintaining there was no profitable market for Star Trek technical manuals and similiar publications.

I maintained that they could not know that without actually publishing something.

The reaction I got from many was "My god! He is disagreeing with writers!! People who produce Star Trek material FOR MONEY are here blessing us with their presence, and he has the gall to disagree with them!! Shut him up before the writers get irritated and refuse to post here anymore!!.
Publishing isn't magic. They've had sales figures of technical manuals and similar publications for years, and it probably wasn't hard to see the downward trend. Mostly, I think people were disagreeing with you because you were wrong.

But you never answered my question. If you haven't really enjoyed a Star Trek book in 13 years, why do you still care enough to come on here and post about them? Very few people involved with writing or editing the books back then are still on the team, and the philosophy, boundaries, continuity, and scope of the novels are all rather different.
Old August 21 2008, 06:03 AM   #80
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via AIM to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Yahoo to The Scrooge Doctor

This side discussion about Dayton3 and his past posting history is completely irrelevant to this thread. Get back on topic.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Old August 21 2008, 06:06 AM   #81
William Leisner
Scribbler

View William Leisner's Twitter Profile

Apparently, the Trek Lit Gay Agenda had finally succeeded!!
Old August 21 2008, 12:09 PM   #82
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Christopher, I've thought about it, since you said yesterday that, no, it wasn't supposed to have been interpreted that way.

And I think the reason I thought that (and I can't speak for anyone else), is that Trys flirting with Dawn Blair is one of the very first things we see her do. There was no reason, as a reader, for me to not take it seriously, since Blair does seem to take it seriously (the flirting works on her, after all) and I hadn't seen yet the extent of Trys' personality. There was never any reason for me not to think that Trys was bisexual, probably into multiple simultaneous relationships.

Now, I'm like, "Oh, you weren't suggesting that," and I'm slightly crushed.

I'm not criticizing. I'm just trying to think through why I thought that about Trys two weeks ago when I read the book.
Old August 21 2008, 01:18 PM   #83
tenmei
Fleet Captain

I didn't take that scene as construing an unseen Blair/T'Rys relationship, to be honest. I 'flirt' like that with some of my hetero male friends and it doesn't mean anything.
Old August 21 2008, 02:18 PM   #84
Christopher
Writer

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
And I think the reason I thought that (and I can't speak for anyone else), is that Trys flirting with Dawn Blair is one of the very first things we see her do. There was no reason, as a reader, for me to not take it seriously, since Blair does seem to take it seriously (the flirting works on her, after all) and I hadn't seen yet the extent of Trys' personality.
See, but that's just it. I didn't intend it to be "flirting" in any sense, whether serious or facetious. It was meant to be flattery, not flirtation. I mean, it's a pretty standard cultural trope for person A to lavish person B with obsequious flattery before asking them for a favor. "My, boss, you look really sharp today! That's a really great tie! By the way, can I have a raise?" When people see, say, Dagwood buttering up Mr. Dithers like that, I don't think many people would read that as flirtation. The context of this scene was that Trys was trying to get out of a boring duty assignment, so I thought it would be clear that her flattery of Dawn was in service of that goal.

Also, at least in our culture, women are generally more open than men about expressing affection in entirely platonic contexts. When a woman compliments another woman or expresses how much she cares for that woman, it doesn't automatically imply anything sexual or romantic as it probably would if a man in our culture said such things. Since the participants in the scene were two women, it never even occurred to me that there was anything flirtatious about what Trys said.

Old August 21 2008, 02:40 PM   #85
JAG
Vice Admiral

I am with Allyn on this one. I thought she was flirting as well, probably because it was the first thing we saw her do. Her actions past that reinforced the thought for me. I understand what you are saying now as to what she was doing. It did not come across that way in the context of the book though. (to me at least)
Old August 21 2008, 02:45 PM   #86
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I just thought she was just being an awfully bad suck up, myself.

But then what is intended and what is perceived can vary...
Old August 21 2008, 02:48 PM   #87
ATimson
Rear Admiral

See, but that's just it. I didn't intend it to be "flirting" in any sense, whether serious or facetious. It was meant to be flattery, not flirtation.
Flattery is one thing, but I think that "O commander of my heart" is rather hard to construe as such...

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
Old August 21 2008, 02:50 PM   #88
Christopher
Writer

^^I figured that line was so ridiculously broad that no one could possibly think it was meant in earnest.

Old August 21 2008, 02:52 PM   #89
tenmei
Fleet Captain

I thought it was a subtle tongue in cheek reference to the Walt Whitman poem (O Captain! My Captain!), at first, so that shows how completely wrong I read the line.
Old August 21 2008, 02:57 PM   #90
Sisko_is_my_captain
Captain

Dayton3 wrote: View Post
T'Ryssa is hideously immature.
Actually I think she's quite attractively immature.
There are other kinds of action.
Baum chicka baum baum. Oh yeah.

(I'm sorry; I couldn't resist.)

"Don't blame me - I voted for Kodos the Executioner."
Closed Thread