Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

Old August 21 2008, 04:25 AM   #31
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Re: Stargate Atlantis CANCELLED

Now well never get to see the alternate alien foes promised for season 6 It seems that its become the norm

"We're cancelling the show........but you get dvd movies for closure,now shut up while we greenlight "Mansquito" the series"
Old August 21 2008, 04:30 AM   #32
Harvey
Admiral

I don't want to be too much of an ass, but we did get five seasons of Atlantis and ten seasons of SG-1. That's a total of more than 300 episodes. Add to that two DVD movies (and now a third movie finishing up Atlantis, and possibly a fourth movie dealing with dangling SG-1 threads) and you have at least 310 episodes worth.

And as much as I'd like to make fun of Mansquito, it was just a TV movie. And any series as bad as that (Flash Gordon, Painkiller Jane) has been canceled after one season.

It's not like we haven't gotten our share here.

Besides, we'll probably get all that in a series of DVD movies with a bigger budget and (hopefully) none of the filler anyway.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old August 21 2008, 04:33 AM   #33
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Well, this is what happens when a show starts to suck.

Sorry Atlantis fans, I feel your pain.
Old August 21 2008, 04:34 AM   #34
Pendragon
Lieutenant Commander

I'm guessing that the powers that be behind this are related to the former FOX board of directors circa 2002... It's like the Firefly cancellation all over again. And I agree... isn't Sci Fi Channel supposed to be about sci-fi? Where's all this low budget horror crap coming from???

Oy... my head hurts now. No more Rodney McKay. This really sucks.
Old August 21 2008, 04:35 AM   #35
Harvey
Admiral

Pendragon wrote: View Post
I'm guessing that the powers that be behind this are related to the former FOX board of directors circa 2002... It's like the Firefly cancellation all over again. And I agree... isn't Sci Fi Channel supposed to be about sci-fi? Where's all this low budget horror crap coming from???

Oy... my head hurts now. No more Rodney McKay. This really sucks.
Quit the hyperbole. The show ran five seasons. Longer than Enterprise was on the air. And Rodney McKay will still be in an intended series of DVD movies.

Old August 21 2008, 04:36 AM   #36
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post

Besides, we'll probably get all that in a series of DVD movies with a bigger budget and (hopefully) none of the filler anyway.
now we can have Rodney and Sheppard curse like sailors in the dvd movies

The season finale is finished filming right? It probably ended in a cliche cliffhanger so that will probably be resolved in the dvd movie along with the Wraith threat

Like I said a few posts above i'm not surprised that it ended at 5 seasons. It's the same as SG-1's run on Scifi and Temis the vorta posted that article that said it's getting costly to run Vancouver shows
Old August 21 2008, 04:50 AM   #37
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

Son of a bitch. While I don't see it as exactly an excellent show, it has still always been entertaining enough. 11 straight years of Stargate TV, and now no more. At least until SG:U begins, assuming it's still coming.
Old August 21 2008, 04:59 AM   #38
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
From SyFy, and I've been wondering when the dollar's slide would start hitting Vancouver productions:

Mallozzi, the "Atlantis" show runner, has stated in his blog that five years may be the limit for franchise shows in the future. He cited the fact that the rising Canadian dollar versus the U.S. dollar is becoming an expensive way to make Vancouver-produced shows like those in the "Stargate" family.
The ratings were decent, so it must be the exchange rate that was the nail in the coffin.
I can understand that that might make Canadian shows more expensive but why does this specifically limit them to 5-year runs?

I figured the reason why Stargate SG-1 got cancelled when it did was because MGM had to keep upping the license fee to pay for Amanda Tapping, Christopher Judge, & Michael Shanks to keep them interested. Around the end of Season 10, Shanks seemed to be making grumblings about leaving again anyway.

BTW, what's the status on that angels show that Judge & Shanks were working on.

NX_01 Mark wrote: View Post
If MGM pulled the plug then thats due to the new owners who took over it a while back, didn't Sony buy out MGM?
They bought a significant interest but not a controlling interest. Since then, the other owners at MGM have tried to reassert its independence. That's why the new DVDs are being put out by 20th Century Fox instead of Sony. I've also heard that Columbia's association with the James Bond franchise will end after The Quantum of Solace this year.
Old August 21 2008, 05:00 AM   #39
Harvey
Admiral

Chris3123 wrote: View Post
Son of a bitch. While I don't see it as exactly an excellent show, it has still always been entertaining enough. 11 straight years of Stargate TV, and now no more. At least until SG:U begins, assuming it's still coming.
I thought it was 12 years?

Old August 21 2008, 05:02 AM   #40
Jax
Admiral

So how many movies do you think it will take to wrap up the Wraith/Michael and the new species plots ? I guess the reps/asurans are finally gone for good.

I am thinking at least 4 or 5 DVD's. They could of wrapped up most stuff with a single season or a shorter season and then still made stories for DVD afterwards.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Old August 21 2008, 05:05 AM   #41
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

NX_01 Mark wrote: View Post
I guess the reps/asurans are finally gone for good.
God I hope so. They were by far the least compelling storyline this show ever cooked up.
Old August 21 2008, 05:11 AM   #42
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
From SyFy, and I've been wondering when the dollar's slide would start hitting Vancouver productions:

Mallozzi, the "Atlantis" show runner, has stated in his blog that five years may be the limit for franchise shows in the future. He cited the fact that the rising Canadian dollar versus the U.S. dollar is becoming an expensive way to make Vancouver-produced shows like those in the "Stargate" family.
The ratings were decent, so it must be the exchange rate that was the nail in the coffin.
I can understand that that might make Canadian shows more expensive but why does this specifically limit them to 5-year runs?
maybe a 100 episodes for syndication? any more seasons than that, things have to be renegotiated I guess.
Old August 21 2008, 05:11 AM   #43
RoJoHen
Awesome

^^The thing with Weir and her little Replicator ship could have been interesting, but this is something we will probably not get to see.

Unless that is one of the movies. That would be pretty cool.
Old August 21 2008, 05:12 AM   #44
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
^^The thing with Weir and her little Replicator ship could have been interesting, but this is something we will probably not get to see.

Unless that is one of the movies. That would be pretty cool.
Did you see "Ghost in the Machine" yet?
Old August 21 2008, 05:13 AM   #45
RoJoHen
Awesome

Um...tell me which one that is.

If it's from Season 5, no I have not.