Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

Old August 21 2008, 03:16 AM   #1
James Bond
Rear Admiral

Stargate Atlantis CANCELLED

According to Multichannel News, Stargate Atlantis will end it's run on SciFi at the conclusion of season 5. According to the same source, a 2 hour TV movie will be made next year to air on SciFi, followed by it's DVD release.

Stargate Atlantis Ends Sci Fi First Run After Season 5

By Kent Gibbons -- Multichannel News, 8/20/2008 5:59:00 PM

Space drama Stargate Atlantis will conclude its run on Sci Fi Channel after the current, fifth season ends next January -- but the network has greenlit a two-hour Atlantis movie to run after that and says the show will live on as a network franchise.

After airing on Sci Fi sometime next year, the untitled Atlantis movie will be sold as a home-video title by producer MGM, Sci Fi told Multichannel News on Wednesday.
Old August 21 2008, 03:23 AM   #2
Gertch
Admiral

Re: Stargate Atlantis CANCELLED

I feel sad. Even though it was in need of some help I still feel sad.
Old August 21 2008, 03:25 AM   #3
Jax
Admiral

Gateworld has confirmed this...

SCI FI can fuck themselves, the show is only 5 episode into its 5th season with higher ratings than 4. MGM don't you dare give them the 3rd show or anymore shows.

BSG and Stargate made that shitty network and they get repaid with 3 canned shows.

go on Daddy and Nuts gloat about it
Old August 21 2008, 03:28 AM   #4
DWF
Vice Admiral

Given the ratings this was to expected still it's sad news.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
Old August 21 2008, 03:28 AM   #5
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I normally don't post in this forum (Only seen bits and pieces of all the stargates) but this is shocking. I thought Atlantis was going well for Scifi? Ratings were decent, they win a People's Choice and now the show is canceled? With BSG leaving, Doctor Who not on very much and now Atlantis canceled, I guess this is the very end of "Sci-Fi Friday." As someone who watched shows like Farscape, BSG, and liked the whole Sci-Fi Friday thing, this is kind of sad.

Last edited by SJSharksfan39; August 21 2008 at 03:40 AM.
Old August 21 2008, 03:29 AM   #6
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Can't say I'll be sad to see it go. Here's hoping that Joe Flanigan, Connor Trinneer and Robert Picardo can get on better sf/f shows quickly.

There are too damn many really excellent genre actors who aren't on good shows.

From SyFy, and I've been wondering when the dollar's slide would start hitting Vancouver productions:

Mallozzi, the "Atlantis" show runner, has stated in his blog that five years may be the limit for franchise shows in the future. He cited the fact that the rising Canadian dollar versus the U.S. dollar is becoming an expensive way to make Vancouver-produced shows like those in the "Stargate" family.
The ratings were decent, so it must be the exchange rate that was the nail in the coffin. This will start impacting other sf/f shows in Vancouver. Maybe they can get some decent credits in New Mexico or other inexpensive places? How about Utah, that's some stunning scenery and it can't be that pricey.
Old August 21 2008, 03:29 AM   #7
RoJoHen
Awesome

Damn. I was still liking Atlantis. Granted, I like it a lot less ever since they got rid of Weir.

I never managed to watch it on TV, though, since I work Friday nights. I always had to wait for the DVDs.

Perhaps SciFi wants to get the 3rd Stargate show on the air, and they know that it won't happen until Atlantis is done.
Old August 21 2008, 03:30 AM   #8
T J
Commodore

FUCK!!!
Old August 21 2008, 03:31 AM   #9
Skywalker
Admiral

Most TV shows nowadays are lucky to get one full season, let alone five. SGA had a run--I wouldn't necessarily call it a good run--but five seasons is nothing to sneeze at.

Hopefully now TPTB will sit back and take a break for a couple of years, and hopefully let the batteries recharge. Like Trek after Voyager, Stargate could use a bit of a break. Of course, UPN didn't let Trek have that break, so I wonder if MGM will give Stargate one.
Old August 21 2008, 03:31 AM   #10
R’cher
Fleet Captain

I say "BOYCOTT SCI-FI" They have shit for programming anyway! Just buy the DVDs of the shows you watch and skip them on sci-fi fridays!

those a-holes!
Old August 21 2008, 03:32 AM   #11
David cgc
Vice Admiral

My reaction, sadly, was the same as when the word came that Enterprise was cancelled in season 3, namely, "Oh, thank God, now they can do it right." In Enterprise's case, that would be in the novels, and in Atlantis's case, it'll be with the DVD movies (which I've quite enjoyed). Season 4 was the weakest year of Stargate, and the episodes that have aired so far in season 5 are all right, but haven't been enough of a turnaround to really get me fired up. Now, hopefully, the show will continue to get its footing back, and the next fifteen episodes will be so mind-blowing that, by the end of the season, I'll be sure they've gotten their mojo back and regret that the series isn't going to continue (as I was when Enterprise was actually cancelled, in season 4). As it is, though, I think giving them some time to recharge their batteries, and a large enough budget that they lose their irrational fear of actually using the damn stargate once in a while (I don't even need "romancing the gate," just show the thing turn on more than twice a season) is the best possible outcome.
Old August 21 2008, 03:33 AM   #12
nx1701g
Admiral

I can't really say I'm surprised by this. Sci-Fi seems to be dumping most of its programs in favor of the cheaper to produce movies.
Old August 21 2008, 03:36 AM   #13
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo

Gah. I'm torn on this. I loved Seasons 1-3, but thought 4 and 5 were mostly crap. On the other hands, Atlantis is one of SciFi's highest-rated shows at the moment, so it makes no sense to me to cancel it. And with BSG ending in 2009, Atlantis cancelled, and Doctor Who taking a year off, SciFi only has one proven show heading into late 2009/2010. If this was a normal network, someone's head would be rolling about now. But SciFi has an amazing tendency to frak everything up.

Sorry for the small rant on SciFi, but I'm through investing anything in their shows. $5 says Eureka is killed after its fourth season, for no good reason.
Old August 21 2008, 03:38 AM   #14
RoJoHen
Awesome

^At the time Farscape was canceled, I believe it was also their top-rated show. They don't know what they're doing.
Old August 21 2008, 03:38 AM   #15
StarTrek1701
Fleet Captain

That is fucked up beyond belief. Sci Fi is canceling their first run shows left right and center. First BSG and then Atlantis? I mean seriously, wtf? Oh that's right, they got Caprica and Sanctuary. I give those two shitfests one season at best, just like Painkiller Jane and Flash Gordon. Idiots.