New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 12 2008, 07:00 PM   #46
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

Re: Sony's Perceived Idiocy.

clint g wrote: View Post
I don't really get why people think the PS1 and PS2 were such great products. As far as I am concerned they were pieces of shit that would always break.
And yet, the Sega Dreamcast was allowed to die like an infected dog, even though it didn't have these problems, was able to really surf the 'Net unlike PS2 and XBOX, who could only do it when they were hacked by somebody, and was probably a better system. Amazing how people were/are so gullible (and I have to include myself as well, since I bought both a PS1 and a PS2-the latter system because of the crappy game Superman: Shadow Of Apokolips when I could have bought a XBOX and be playing Crimson Skies instead! I have enjoyed my PS2, though, although I am now on my 3rd.)
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2008, 07:49 PM   #47
billcosby
Commodore

Jim Steele wrote: View Post
I've had 2 PS1s fail on me and my Wii exploded a month back, but my 360 never gave me any problems.

I guess I'm just weird.

BigFoot wrote:
GT5: Prologue
Not even Microsoft would get away with charging 20 quid for a glorified demo.
Or lucky. I expect my XBOX 360 to blow any day now.
And I've had one PS2 go on me as well.
It's commonplace.

Permit me to entertain you with a Japanese expression:
soni taima (Sony Timer)
"ソニタイマ"
The idea is that some Japanese people believe that Sony actually designs its own electronics to malfunction at a future date, ideally just after the warranty expires, requiring the consumer to buy another!
It's even on wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_timer

In a lot of countries, that level of unethical behavior from such a large company would cause intense rage! But in Japan, it seems to be laughed about and shrugged off.

(Personally, I don't buy into the "Sony Timer" myth)

Last edited by billcosby; August 12 2008 at 07:59 PM.
billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2008, 09:03 PM   #48
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

billcosby wrote: View Post
Jim Steele wrote: View Post
I've had 2 PS1s fail on me and my Wii exploded a month back, but my 360 never gave me any problems.

I guess I'm just weird.

BigFoot wrote:
GT5: Prologue
Not even Microsoft would get away with charging 20 quid for a glorified demo.
Or lucky. I expect my XBOX 360 to blow any day now.
And I've had one PS2 go on me as well.
It's commonplace.

Permit me to entertain you with a Japanese expression:
soni taima (Sony Timer)
"ソニタイマ"
The idea is that some Japanese people believe that Sony actually designs its own electronics to malfunction at a future date, ideally just after the warranty expires, requiring the consumer to buy another!
It's even on wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_timer

In a lot of countries, that level of unethical behavior from such a large company would cause intense rage! But in Japan, it seems to be laughed about and shrugged off.

(Personally, I don't buy into the "Sony Timer" myth)
The "sony timer" concept is not unique to the japanese.
Old August 18 2008, 10:12 PM   #49
TedShatner10
Commodore

My first PS2 lasted a pretty long time, well over half a decade, but the streamline PS2 seems very fragile and I lost the first one within only two years.
TedShatner10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2008, 01:34 AM   #50
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

ok, i have had 3 psp's over it's run, a first gen which had the defect of the buttons being so close to the screen that i killed some pixels hitting the button, i leant it to my friend and his 5 year old brother got his hands on it, the second ran great, disappeared mysteriously, now i got the new gen Red God of War psp and it came with a dead pixel in the middle of the screen, a much more fragile construction (its mostly cheap plastic when the first two gens were mostly metal with a rubber handgrip texture) and to show how sony feels about it's fans, they packaged the movie "superbad" with the GOW PSP

my PS1 ans PS2 ran pretty well, no complaints there

i'll only get a PS3 if they remake Final Fantasy 7 (it's implied by the ending of crisis core but Squenix has waffled on the official word)

</all seph has to say on sony>
No, you clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2008, 01:45 AM   #51
unimatrix7
Rear Admiral

Sephiroth wrote: View Post
i'll only get a PS3 if they remake Final Fantasy 7 (it's implied by the ending of crisis core but Squenix has waffled on the official word)
It implies no such thing. It's a prequel, and it says 'to be continued' at the end of it. That doesn't imply a remake is on the way anymore than it's suggesting you go and put the original FF7 back into your PS1/PS2/PS3.
unimatrix7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2008, 02:09 AM   #52
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

unimatrix7 wrote: View Post
It implies no such thing. It's a prequel, and it says 'to be continued' at the end of it. That doesn't imply a remake is on the way anymore than it's suggesting you go and put the original FF7 back into your PS1/PS2/PS3.
the video at the end, the remake of the ff7 intro was introduced a few years ago to demo the graphics of the PS3, given how popular and expanded the series, it's highly concievable that there is a remake in the works
No, you clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!
Old August 19 2008, 02:21 AM   #53
unimatrix7
Rear Admiral

unimatrix7 wrote: View Post
the video at the end, the remake of the ff7 intro was introduced a few years ago to demo the graphics of the PS3, given how popular and expanded the series, it's highly concievable that there is a remake in the works
I'm not suggesting it isn't conceivable, and I hope it happens too. I'm just saying that Crisis Core didn't really imply anything one way or the other.
Old August 19 2008, 02:32 AM   #54
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

i kinda see the inclusion of that video as a subtle hint, remember, final fantasy 7 originally had alot of delay problems due to square being premature on the announcement
Old August 19 2008, 09:49 AM   #55
dragunzng
Rear Admiral

View dragunzng's Twitter Profile

I don't know that a FFVII remake is actually in the works, but they've hinted and teased about it, whether on purpose or not, far too strongly for them not to do something on that front.

That said, I sort of doubt it'll come out this generation, Nomura and co are a little to busy working on Fabula Nova Crystalis as well as the various Kingdom Hearts games methinks.
Old August 19 2008, 10:15 AM   #56
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

if you look around somewhere, you will find some promo images fo FF7 and 8 remade for the PS2, but they killed it cause the ps3 was gonna be out in 2 years, so it would have been a waste of effort, wouldn't be suprised if they have been working on it since they got the tools to start coding PS3 games
Old August 25 2008, 11:17 PM   #57
TedShatner10
Commodore

It would be fun if Sony remade FFVII, they would be criminally stupid to pass that on, but I won't hold my breath.
TedShatner10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2008, 01:29 AM   #58
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

From what I've read Final Fantasy XIII development hasn't been going smoothly and has been using a huge amount of Square Enix's work force, so I doubt they are actually able to remake Final Fantasy VII for the PS3 unless they farmed it out to a different company.

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2008, 02:13 AM   #59
unimatrix7
Rear Admiral

if you look around somewhere, you will find some promo images fo FF7 and 8 remade for the PS2, but they killed it cause the ps3 was gonna be out in 2 years, so it would have been a waste of effort, wouldn't be suprised if they have been working on it since they got the tools to start coding PS3 games
I think you're right, but the timeframe may have been off. Square confirmed that remakes of FF7, 8, and 9 would be coming to the PS2 - but they did that at the very beginning of the PS2's lifecycle. I think they were killed by 2003, at the latest.
Old August 26 2008, 04:15 PM   #60
dragunzng
Rear Admiral

View dragunzng's Twitter Profile

TedShatner10 wrote: View Post
It would be fun if Sony remade FFVII, they would be criminally stupid to pass that on, but I won't hold my breath.
Sony can't remake FFVII, only Square Enix can.