New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old August 18 2008, 06:43 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Old Shatner Unrecognizable To Current Shatner

Looking back on his work on the original series is a bit off-putting to the seventy-seven-year-old William Shatner.

As reported by The Times-South Africa, the young man of the 1960s is a stranger to Shatner. "He’s a complete stranger," said Shatner. "Not only is he physically foreign, emotionally I don’t know where I was at that time. There's also a certain amount of revulsion involved. How could I have looked that young? What happened? I should have taken more vitamins. It's totally science-fictional."

Shatner has always lived life to the fullest, engaging in various adventurous activities ranging from flying a stunt plane to racing a car. He offers this advice for enjoying the experience, whatever it may be. "In striving to experience things, you may be rushing the experience. That carries with it the seeds of its own displeasure, and you have to guard against that."

Shatner's role as Kirk led to fame for the Canadian actor. When he got into acting, he never thought that he was destined to be famous. "I never had any expectation," he said. "I attribute a great deal of it all to luck. I think the pursuit of success is environmental; I had wonderful parents who encouraged and supported me and taught me the value of money and hard work."

To read more, head to the article located here.

Old August 18 2008, 07:57 AM   #2
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: Old Shatner Unrecognizable To Current Shatner

I've always been awed at the significant difference between Shatner of the original series and Shatner of the movies. Where did all that hair come from? It really is like there were two different Shatners doing the same role. It's also interesting in that now he is quite funny, but before, he was a little bland. Thank god for acting experiance I guess.
Old August 18 2008, 10:08 AM   #3
Pioneer
Captain

I remember seeing Shatner and Nimoy on a game show (I think it was the Match Game) shortly after the Original Series was canceled. Shatner behaved like a total goofball. It was almost as if he was trying to distance himself from the Kirk character. Nimoy was basically the same as he is today. And Shatner behaved more like you see him nowadays as Denny Crane with a lot of silliness and forced humor. I think The Shat was afraid of being typecast while Nimoy was happy to be cast at all. Funny since Nimoy had an easier time of it immediately after TOS.
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Old August 18 2008, 06:14 PM   #4
JonathonWally
Admiral

View JonathonWally's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to JonathonWally Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JonathonWally

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I've always been awed at the significant difference between Shatner of the original series and Shatner of the movies. Where did all that hair come from?
Mail order catalog?
Are you hearin me, like I'm hearin you?
Old August 18 2008, 07:27 PM   #5
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

JonathonWally wrote: View Post
I've always been awed at the significant difference between Shatner of the original series and Shatner of the movies. Where did all that hair come from?
Mail order catalog?
I was going to say Chia Pet.
Old August 19 2008, 01:04 AM   #6
Procutus
Admiral

Pioneer wrote: View Post

I think The Shat was afraid of being typecast while Nimoy was happy to be cast at all. Funny since Nimoy had an easier time of it immediately after TOS.

One of Nimoy's post-TOS projects I recall fondly is a made-for-TV supernatural thriller called Baffled. And I also greatly enjoyed the series he narrated, In Search Of, which introduced me to the mystery of the Oak Island treasure.
Old August 19 2008, 01:40 AM   #7
Basil
Fleet Captain

When I watched "Star Trek" reruns as a child, my mother always commented that Shatner looked like he'd just been cracking jokes before a scene was shot -- she always sensed a slight air of silliness in his face, even when the scene was one of high drama or Shakespearean intensity. She said for years that he should be doing comedy instead of more serious roles.
Old August 19 2008, 01:34 PM   #8
Balthier the Great
Fleet Captain

Basil wrote: View Post
When I watched "Star Trek" reruns as a child, my mother always commented that Shatner looked like he'd just been cracking jokes before a scene was shot -- she always sensed a slight air of silliness in his face, even when the scene was one of high drama or Shakespearean intensity. She said for years that he should be doing comedy instead of more serious roles.
I said the same after I saw Boston Legal. The guy is funny.
Old August 19 2008, 07:17 PM   #9
Colonel Green
Vice Admiral

I thought the "old Shatner" WAS the current Shatner Did he find the fountain of youth?

- Homer
Old August 21 2008, 06:06 AM   #10
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

Hair weave?
Old August 21 2008, 02:57 PM   #11
Pioneer
Captain

Procutus wrote: View Post
Pioneer wrote: View Post

I think The Shat was afraid of being typecast while Nimoy was happy to be cast at all. Funny since Nimoy had an easier time of it immediately after TOS.

One of Nimoy's post-TOS projects I recall fondly is a made-for-TV supernatural thriller called Baffled. And I also greatly enjoyed the series he narrated, In Search Of, which introduced me to the mystery of the Oak Island treasure.
I always liked In Search Of.
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Old August 24 2008, 02:11 PM   #12
Procutus
Admiral

^

In Search Of was great for its time. Granted, it rehashed a lot of popular mysteries, the usual fare of tabloids such as UFOs, Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster and others, but it also delved into a lot of lesser known topics as well (such as the Money Pit).

I know a little bit about the making of that particular show, as I've corresponded with D'Arcy O'Connor, who was involved with the production. Filming and recreation of historical scenes were filmed in Nova Scotia on the mainland, and shots of the island were taken from the air. Leonard did the narration in Los Angeles after the footage was assembled. I don't think that he ever visited any of the locations used in the show, to the best of my knowledge.