Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 17 2008, 07:08 PM   #31
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: are Vampires the "Next Big Thing" for '08? Twilight, Tru Calling.

[quote=Bad Bishop;1954384]Chicks only love vampires when the bloodsuckers look like they jumped out of a Prada or Giorgio Armani ad. How many girls would swoon at the sight of an ugly vampire like Nosferatu?
quote]

Perhaps, but Nosferatu is the exception. Literary vampires have been portrayed as suave Byronic seducers and femme fatales since at least 1817 . . . .

Last edited by Greg Cox; August 17 2008 at 08:43 PM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2008, 07:22 PM   #32
ialfan
Fleet Captain

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
I'm a 27-year old guy, and I read Twilight - along with my sisters and mother - and absolutely enjoyed it. Although the novels are aimed at teen girls, they also appeal to a broader range of readers. Of course, just like almost anything else, they're not going to appeal to everyone. Regarding the movie and its chances of success, I actually haven't personally heard of any overwhelmingly negative reactions to the film thus far; most of what I've heard has been positive, especially since the filmmakers have gone on record as wanting to strive to be as close to the novel as possible.

As to whether or not vampires have become the 'next big thing' in pop culture, vampires have always occupied a niche in pop culture, but the overall popularity of vampire-related material seems to fluctuate in cycles.
Indeed as an 18-year old guy I'm not exactly in Twilight's target audiance but I loved all four books in the series (the first one especially). The original novel asn't written to a teen girl audiance but that's who mostly flocked to it.

As for the movie I am cautiously looking forward to it. I really didn't picture Edward or Bella as lookng or sounding anything like the actors who are playing them do. Honestly I think Twilight is one of those things that would be best left to the books since a lot of the wonder (impossibly beautiful people with perfect voices) is hard to portray. I definately will see it though and probably in theaters.
ialfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2008, 07:37 PM   #33
Bad Bishop
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
Chicks only love vampires when the bloodsuckers look like they jumped out of a Prada or Giorgio Armani ad. How many girls would swoon at the sight of an ugly vampire like Nosferatu?

Perhaps, but Nosferatu is the exception. Literary vampires have been portrayed as suave Byronic seducers since at least 1817 . . . .
I had no idea that the romantic vampire archetype was so powerful today. Then I attended Comic-Con's Twilight panel, where an audience full of teenage and twentysomething girls could not stop screaming. I managed to escape from Hall H before I went mad from the noise.
Old August 17 2008, 08:29 PM   #34
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

For Next Big Thing, I nominate Earth based/modern day sci fi. There are a lot more of them on the horizon:

Fringe
Life on Mars
Kings
Eleventh Hour
Dollhouse
Warehouse 13

and a few marginal calls...
Caprica
(it's Earth in all but name)
My Own Worst Enemy (if split personality spyjinks count)
Harper's Island
(supernatural? horror)

But if someone wants to make a vampire show that will at long last appeal to me (none have since Dark Shadows! ), I'lll check it out.

Chicks only love vampires when the bloodsuckers look like they jumped out of a Prada or Giorgio Armani ad. How many girls would swoon at the sight of an ugly vampire like Nosferatu?
Good looking people are attractive and ugly people are not. What's so surprising about that?

Last edited by Temis the Vorta; August 17 2008 at 08:35 PM. Reason: stating the obvious
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2008, 08:45 PM   #35
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

[quote=Temis the Vorta;1954766]

But if someone wants to make a vampire show that will at long last appeal to me (none have since Dark Shadows! ), I'lll check it out.
quote]

Which they're talking about remaking . . . again!
Old August 17 2008, 09:01 PM   #36
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I am so sick of hearing about Twilight and Edward Cullen... I will probably check out True Blood though.
Old August 17 2008, 09:03 PM   #37
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

[quote=Bad Bishop;1954641]
I had no idea that the romantic vampire archetype was so powerful today. Then I attended Comic-Con's Twilight panel, where an audience full of teenage and twentysomething girls could not stop screaming. I managed to escape from Hall H before I went mad from the noise.
Exactly. I don't think vampires are the next big thing. I think they've just been steadily growing in popularity for almost two hundred years.
Old August 17 2008, 10:12 PM   #38
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

[quote=Greg Cox;1954805]
Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post

quote]

Which they're talking about remaking . . . again!
Yeah, I'm gonna wait and see on that one.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2008, 11:02 PM   #39
melancholymecha
Rear Admiral

If vampires are the next "big thing", they should have kept Moonlight on the air. That show was actually good.
I liked that show too... actually kinda wish there *is* a vampire craze just so CBS could kick itself in the nuts for canceling it.

As for the other upcoming vamp related stuff, Twilight looks meh but True Blood might be interesting. Too bad I dont get HBO...

Frankly, none of the descriptions I hear make sense. Essentially, she loves this total dick of a vampire, and clings to him throughout the series even though he never actually does anything nice to her. Pay attention girls, this is what a relationship should be!
Yeah, according to EW's review (they gave it a d, or an f, can't recall now) she gets pregnant with the vamp guy's baby & refuses to abort it even though its practically killing her (she's puking blood & it kicks so strong it breaks her ribs). He begs her to abort it but she refuses b/c she loves him so much & all. And teen girls are eating this up. Lovely.
melancholymecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2008, 01:41 AM   #40
Trippy
NaNoWriMo Victim

View Trippy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Trippy Send a message via Yahoo to Trippy

^I took her wanting the child as her only chance to have a child, as she was becoming a vampire after the wedding. She wanted to remain a teenager forever because Edward was 17 when he was turned.
Trippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2008, 03:44 AM   #41
V
Commodore

For Next Big Thing, I nominate Earth based/modern day sci fi. There are a lot more of them on the horizon:

Fringe
Life on Mars
Kings
Eleventh Hour
Dollhouse
Warehouse 13

and a few marginal calls...
Caprica
(it's Earth in all but name)
My Own Worst Enemy (if split personality spyjinks count)
Wrong. Well, the studios ARE going to crank out a lot of Earth-based scifi series in the *hopes* of making the next big thing on the cheap, but none of them will succeed. Further, there is a difference between "What is everyone making next year" and "what is the next big thing". last year reality shows and American Gladiators were by that logic "the next big thing"

No, I mean the o-so-hard to catch, "what grabs the hearts and minds of fans and critics"

I agree that "Caprica" will flop; Ron Moore isn't involved, and when people think "BSG prequel" they think "Cylon Revolt" not "I fell asleep watching Mad Men, woke up, and said "hey, cram some references to the Adama family and religious strife into that, crank out some scripts, and we'll call it a BSG prequel!" ugh...I get the same feel from "Caprica" that I did for "Enterprise"

Eleventh Hour and My Own Worst Enemy are both more police shows and 24 clones than scifi.

Life on Mars I do not seriously expect to gain a very wide following due to the way they're releasing it

Even with Heroes-staff at the helm I don't expect "Kings" to do well

Knight Rider remake, a shameless and frankly foolish attempt to cash in on BSG (seriously....someone was dumb enough to personally connect the dots as "BSG was based on an old show, therefore remakes of old shows are in now" rather than "people like Ron Moore's edgy writing style". It will be a laughingstock.

As for Warehouse 13 and Revolution: more guaranteed flops from the Skiffy Channel: I literally turned off my TV in abject disgust after watching the Eureka pilot...and they turned it into their new flagship series pushing aside Stargate in the process? And now come season 3, even the critics and initial viewers are over the "honeymoon period", its not "new" anymore, and they're realizing how formulaic it is.

No, no, the only NEW stuff worth following is Fringe and Dollhouse (returning shows Heroes and Pushing Daisies are great though)

Dollhouse I actually have very very high hopes for, but the only problem is, I get the fear that Fox will yank the plug on it like they did Firefly (I hope an understandable fear)

As for "Fringe"....increasingly I think it sounds like a desperate attempt to make a new X-Files and is a Lost-clone from the guys who brought us Lost! The leaked pilot was awful, the characters seem stupid, yikes

why is everyone stuck on thinking that "scifi" is only live-action crud? Last year while we were suffering through "Flash Gordon", the animated series "Death Note" was becoming a cult hit on Adult Swim:

isn't it ironic that the Emmys ignore scifi because "it's stupid scifi for kids", YET many scifi fans here ignore good shows like Death Note, or Venture Bros, just because "it's stupid cartoons, for kids"?!

Death Note already has a live-action film in Japan, and they're talking about a live-action English-version film

PLUS, they've CONFIRMED, yes CONFIRMED that Simpsons Treehouse of Horror 2008 will be a Death Note parody! If that's not Big, what is?!

Light Yagami is given a supernatural "Death Note" (Death Notebook) by a bored soul-reaper; a book that if you write anyone's name in it, they will die of a heart attack (it's like an evil chain letter curse). The rules are that you can kill anyone, so long as you know their name and know what they look like (you have to think about their face as they write it; this was done to avoid killing people with the same name). Within a matter of days, Light kills hundreds of criminals, earning him the public nickname "Kira" (Japanese slurred version of "Killer") "Light" effectively ceases to exist, and goes mad with power, utterly consumed by being "Kira".

Kira plans to become the God of a New World, where he decides who is evil and deserves life and death.

How can anyone stop Kira? he has the powers of a God and is untraceable. The police are baffled at the wave of deaths and can't even figure out of "Kira" is real or a myth, much less where he may be

So Interpol brings in "the world's greatest detective": a recluse known only by the letter "L", who only communicates over scrambled internet feeds.

So the series becomes a deadly game of cat-and-also-cat, a battle of wits between Kira and L.

Can L catch Kira? Who will win Kira vs. L? Who is....Justice?

"Death Note" is more innovative and creative than any of the regurgitated stuff they're throwing at us this fall.
Old August 18 2008, 04:21 AM   #42
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Lindley wrote: View Post
V wrote: View Post
Is there perhaps some other Vampire-story that you think deserves a new TV series/movie?
Well, there's *always* Faith, The Vampire Slayer. Not that I think it'll ever happen.
Ripper at least still has a chance.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2008, 05:18 AM   #43
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

V wrote: View Post
I literally turned off my TV in abject disgust after watching the Eureka pilot...and they turned it into their new flagship series pushing aside Stargate in the process? And now come season 3, even the critics and initial viewers are over the "honeymoon period", its not "new" anymore, and they're realizing how formulaic it is.
Eureka is still a lot of fun. I don't think anyone expects it to be terribly deep, but then neither was Stargate most of the time. It's got good characters, and usually manages to avoid getting *too* out-there.

Besides, all of us who work for companies contracting with DoD *wish* we had projects half as cool as the stuff on that show.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2008, 05:53 AM   #44
Australis
Writer

I agree with Lindley, Eureka is simple fun, taking bug ideas and poking gentle fun at them.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2008, 06:07 AM   #45
Bad Bishop
Vice Admiral

Good looking people are attractive and ugly people are not. What's so surprising about that?
You win, Temis. You caught me scoffing at the superficiality of female fans when it comes to vampires. Men are probably worse. We love superheroines, for example, primarily because of their tight outfits.