Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 17 2008, 01:41 PM   #16
Australis
Writer

Re: are Vampires the "Next Big Thing" for '08? Twilight, Tru Calling.

^ I'd say the poster got confused between Tru Calling and True Blood.

As for vampires, meh. I'm over them.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2008, 02:07 PM   #17
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

^Yeah I think someone else mentioned his error further up the page.

I'm always up for something new, but so few shows and films do that well with the genre, cheap or camp or otherwise bloody awful (Bloodrayne).

I'd settle for a new Carmilla film, as long as it stuck mostly to the novel and just fleshed out the story. That BBC Dracula was terrible, tried to rewrite the whole damn thing 'til there wasn't much point.

Really wish they'd let Moonlight keep going, I was starting to like that one.
Old August 17 2008, 02:59 PM   #18
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Vampires are always with us. Just look at the paperback racks. Vampire romance novels and chick lit (sometimes known as "bite lit") are one of the hottest categories in publishing. And it seems like there's always at least one or two vampire tv shows on the air. Besides "Moonlight," we also just had "Blood Ties" on Lifetime.

I'm more impressed that we seem to have a mini-werewolf boom in the works. Besides "Underworld: Rise of the Lycans," we also have the upcoming remake of "The Wolf Man" plus some upcoming film about Mexican werewolves south of the border.
Old August 17 2008, 03:02 PM   #19
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

And Kelley Armstrong's novel series, which is the Werewolf equivalent of the Vampire series, and getting some decent reviews too.
Old August 17 2008, 03:24 PM   #20
ancient
Vice Admiral

The pre-teen fangirl-legion aimed "Twilight" DOMINATED Comic-Con this year, and now we hear that Harry Potter 6 has been pushed back to next summer, so the "Twilight" film pushed up its release date 3 weeks to now come out the weekend HP 6 *would* have come out, Thanksgiving weekend. So for this christmas season, going into fall/winter, the big movie experience will be the vampire-themed Twilight.
I predict that this movie will flop big time. The Twilight series, from what I hear, is one of the worst book series ever concieved. It starts out with a girl who does nothing but whine, everyone automatically loves her despite this, and she has some ill defined "specialness" which makes her super seductive to Vampires.

Or something. Frankly, none of the descriptions I hear make sense. Essentially, she loves this total dick of a vampire, and clings to him throughout the series even though he never actually does anything nice to her. Pay attention girls, this is what a relationship should be!

Anyway, I hear the fanbase went into a tizzy because in later books she gets married to him, then...ugh...gets pregnant with a vampire baby that starts eating her from the womb...so the hubby bites her to make her a vampire so she'll live. Or die but still be undead or whatnot. It's much worse than I can describe, but really the whole series takes a sharp turn into crazyland.
Old August 17 2008, 03:24 PM   #21
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

True story: a few years ago I was informed by Tor's publicity department that one of our books had been nominated for "Best Werewolf Romance of the Year" by ROMANTIC TIMES. My first response was "There's an actually an award for that?"

Then I went and browsed the Romance section at Borders:

Ohmigod, there were dozens of them!
Old August 17 2008, 03:28 PM   #22
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

[quote=ancient;1954006]
The pre-teen fangirl-legion aimed "Twilight" DOMINATED Comic-Con this year, and now we hear that Harry Potter 6 has been pushed back to next summer, so the "Twilight" film pushed up its release date 3 weeks to now come out the weekend HP 6 *would* have come out, Thanksgiving weekend. So for this christmas season, going into fall/winter, the big movie experience will be the vampire-themed Twilight.
I predict that this movie will flop big time.

I wouldn't be so sure. I haven't read the books yet, but, for the last several weeks, all four novels have been the bestselling books in the USA by a considerable margin. We're talking crazy-big numbers.

That's not a fan base, that's a phenomenon.
Old August 17 2008, 03:30 PM   #23
ancient
Vice Admiral

There is something undeniably sexy about a mangy man-dog that kills people and eats them.
Old August 17 2008, 03:35 PM   #24
ancient
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I wouldn't be so sure. I haven't read the books yet, but, for the last several weeks, all four novels have been the bestselling books in the USA by a considerable margin.

That's quite a fan base!
So does Eragon, but I guess seeing crap is worse than reading about it. Look how that turned out.

As I said, a large portion of the fanbase has been pissed off of late. Also, the preview in EW got universally poor reviews from both fans and critics, from what I hear.

I guess it's hard to make a movie out of a book where none of the characters have motivation or personality.
Old August 17 2008, 03:43 PM   #25
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I don't know. Like I said, I haven't read the books, but they've clearly hit some sort of nerve.

And never underestimate the potential power of teenage girls. Anybody remember a little movie named TITANIC?
Old August 17 2008, 04:34 PM   #26
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
And never underestimate the potential power of teenage girls. Anybody remember a little movie named TITANIC?
Never heard of it. Anyone known in it?
Old August 17 2008, 04:56 PM   #27
Trippy
NaNoWriMo Victim

View Trippy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Trippy Send a message via Yahoo to Trippy

Not only teenage girls liked Twilight...I enjoyed the series as well...and the very basic plot of 'girl loves teenage vampire' is augmented by other good characters too (Jacob the teenage werewolf, the Carlisle family, the Italian vampires, etc)

I've always liked Vampire stories, I like Anne Rice's books, and Salem's Lot, Lost Boys, etc. It's always appealed to me and I look forward to the new HBO series!

(and I liked Moonlight too )
Trippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2008, 06:14 PM   #28
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

I'm a 27-year old guy, and I read Twilight - along with my sisters and mother - and absolutely enjoyed it. Although the novels are aimed at teen girls, they also appeal to a broader range of readers. Of course, just like almost anything else, they're not going to appeal to everyone. Regarding the movie and its chances of success, I actually haven't personally heard of any overwhelmingly negative reactions to the film thus far; most of what I've heard has been positive, especially since the filmmakers have gone on record as wanting to strive to be as close to the novel as possible.

As to whether or not vampires have become the 'next big thing' in pop culture, vampires have always occupied a niche in pop culture, but the overall popularity of vampire-related material seems to fluctuate in cycles.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2008, 06:21 PM   #29
Bad Bishop
Vice Admiral

Chicks only love vampires when the bloodsuckers look like they jumped out of a Prada or Giorgio Armani ad. How many girls would swoon at the sight of an ugly vampire like Nosferatu?

That being said, I hope vampires are not the next big thing. There have been too many of them on network TV for the last few years.
Old August 17 2008, 06:27 PM   #30
clint g
Admiral

V wrote: View Post
Because I for one, literally more than I could care for a human baby, want to see a live-action "Hellsing" TV series based on the manga/anime/OVA series (though I'd call it just "Alucard", Hellsing is kind of a generic name)

who's bloody with me?!

As completely awesome as that would be, knowing the creator it would take a bout a year before each episode comes out. The guy does awesome work but hes slow as hell