RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,713
Members: 24,209
Currently online: 825
Newest member: Farside89

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

View Poll Results: Grade Tropic Thunder
A+ 6 16.22%
A 9 24.32%
A- 8 21.62%
B+ 6 16.22%
B 5 13.51%
B- 0 0%
C+ 0 0%
C 1 2.70%
C- 0 0%
D+ 0 0%
D 1 2.70%
D- 1 2.70%
F 0 0%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 14 2008, 05:41 PM   #16
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Re: Tropic Thunder Grading and Discussion - Spoilers.

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Grindhouse's trailers were done to keep in tone of the "Grindhouse" feel of the movie. Tropic Thunder's were done to establish the characters and the absurdity of Hollywood.
Big differences between the two.
Yes, I'm quite aware of the point, thank you. You're right, though, that there was a big difference between the fake trailers in Grindhouse and those in Tropic Thunder: the ones in Grindhouse were actually interesting, whereas the ones in Tropic Thunder merely made me wish the movie proper would hurry up and start. I would've much preferred more media coverage, interviews, etc., of the actors in order to establish the characters, instead of the yawn-inducing trailers.
I thought the trailers worked for establishing the characters. They give a laugh, they "throw you off" by just going right into them without any opening credits or even (IIRC) the movie's own studio animatics. I got a laugh out of all of them, not so much the energy drink one, but Black's mockery of the absurdness of The Nutty Professor movies, post-apoclyptic action movies with Stiller and I'm still laughing at the one with Tobey.

I think it "established" things well. Especially for the "movie within a movie" angle of things.
Old August 14 2008, 07:21 PM   #17
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
The theater's "Feature Presentation" bumper didn't tip you off?
There was none. We were sitting there in the darkness and all of a sudden the fake commercial came on screen, nothing at all before it. It was pretty funny.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2008, 07:41 PM   #18
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

Oh yeah and I didn't add the tags (at least I don't think I did...I've added a lot of tags recently) but they aren't just meant for seeing what the thread is about (in most cases they are quite painfully obvious) but for when you go to Tag Search and can then find all of the grading and discussion threads on the board, or all the Tropic Thunder threads on the board. I think there are 2 or 3 Tropic Thunder threads already, this way they can all be found together.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2008, 05:40 AM   #19
Pensive
Fleet Captain

View Pensive's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Pensive Send a message via Yahoo to Pensive

Just got back from seeing this, and let me tell you I am still wiping away the tears of laughter. I have visited all the viral sites (kirklazarus.com, rainofmadness.com, et al) and those really helped me enjoy the movie more. Seeing RDJ - as Lazarus - as Osiris in those mockumentary trailers was enough to make me laugh and think "man the guy is nucking futz!"

I gotta see this again, because there were times I was laughing so hard I missed lines. The whole movie could have been Downey in the sfx makeup doing shitty Shaft impressions and I would have paid $10 to see it. The guy is great -- he played the most complex role by far in the film (TWO characters!) and aced it.

And of course I loved the TOS clip playing on Speedman's iPod

It's high time someone did a really well thought-out sendup of Hollyweird, with the cheap comedies/disability Oscar-bait/self-absorbed Method stuff. I particularly loved the bit where Lazarus gives Speedman tips on how to win over the Oscar crowd: "never go full retard."

A
Old August 15 2008, 11:35 AM   #20
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Pensive wrote: View Post
Just got back from seeing this, and let me tell you I am still wiping away the tears of laughter. I have visited all the viral sites (kirklazarus.com, rainofmadness.com, et al) and those really helped me enjoy the movie more. Seeing RDJ - as Lazarus - as Osiris in those mockumentary trailers was enough to make me laugh and think "man the guy is nucking futz!"

I gotta see this again, because there were times I was laughing so hard I missed lines. The whole movie could have been Downey in the sfx makeup doing shitty Shaft impressions and I would have paid $10 to see it. The guy is great -- he played the most complex role by far in the film (TWO characters!) and aced it.

And of course I loved the TOS clip playing on Speedman's iPod

It's high time someone did a really well thought-out sendup of Hollyweird, with the cheap comedies/disability Oscar-bait/self-absorbed Method stuff. I particularly loved the bit where Lazarus gives Speedman tips on how to win over the Oscar crowd: "never go full retard."

A
I wonder how Speedman had his iPod and cell-phone (he called his agent) still. The director made the actors destroy them.

Put I agree. I would've watched a movie with just RDJ playing Lazarus. And as you said it's a complex character. RDJ is is LITERALY playing "the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

On the viral websites. I like how Jeff Portnoy (Jack Black)'s character's filmography has Heat Vision and Jack on it.

Last edited by Trekker4747; August 15 2008 at 11:40 AM.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2008, 05:00 PM   #21
Pensive
Fleet Captain

View Pensive's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Pensive Send a message via Yahoo to Pensive

I remember the agent giving Speedman a satellite phone in his gift basket, along with the other crappy gifts (and the dvd Speedman later strapped to his crotch). When the director shorted out their cell phones, Speedman only gave him his regular cell, not the satellite phone. I assumed he kept the iPod to himself as well

I like how Lazarus' biography has him with about 12 kids (all from different mothers) and drama the likes of which even Russell Crowe has never seen!

RDJ with those blue contacts creeps me out a little though.
Old August 15 2008, 05:49 PM   #22
Harvey
Admiral

Love it. Easily the funniest movie I've seen so far this year (although I admit it hasn't been a great year so far at the theatre for me).

I would say Tom Cruise stole the show like every other review I've read, but I could just as easily point out how great any of the other cast members were. And I totally didn't expect what was in store for Steve Coogan's character. Caught me totally off guard!

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2008, 06:00 PM   #23
Pensive
Fleet Captain

While I think his character (and credit-dance) was pretty funny, Tom Cruise is still not cool.
Old August 15 2008, 06:39 PM   #24
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Pensive wrote: View Post
While I think his character (and credit-dance) was pretty funny, Tom Cruise is still not cool.
I doubt Tom Cruise will be affected.
Old August 15 2008, 06:48 PM   #25
Pensive
Fleet Captain

Meh.
Old August 15 2008, 09:41 PM   #26
JD
Admiral

I just got back from the movie and I loved it. I especially loved RDJ, just like everybody else who has seen the movie. But that's not to say that I didn't like everybody else, because I thought they all did great jobs, even the kid who played the main villain and his goons. And then there was Tom Cruise, who definitely comes in a close second as my favorite actor in the movie. The writing for the movie was also really good IMO, pretty much everything that was supposed to be funny actually was, and I thought they did a really good job of getting out their message about the craziness of Hollywood and what these actors do to themselves.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)

Last edited by JD; August 15 2008 at 09:50 PM.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2008, 01:30 AM   #27
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

A

This movie was fucking hysterical. I saw it last night. Myself and the audience were laughing throughout the entire movie...to the point where I couldn't even hear dialogue. Love the shots this film takes at actors and their motivation for taking roles.

Downey Jr. steals the show, pulling off a bunch of convincing accents in the process. Can't stand Jack Black but he was funny here. Another scene-stealer was Jay Bruschi, basically playing the straight guy of the group. I'm not a Stiller fan and I thought he was the least funniest guy in the movie. Cruise's cameo was great.

Noticed one scene in the trailer that wasn't in the movie. After Stiller's character is untied, he attacks his captor then asks if he hit him too hard, thinking it's still a movie. Obviously, his captor attacks him.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2008, 03:15 PM   #28
JD
Admiral

Was Tom Cruise's part really a cameo? I thought cameo's were usually only a breif part in one scene, like the two at the very end.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2008, 01:21 AM   #29
Kira's Mom
Fleet Admiral

View Kira's Mom's Twitter Profile

Saw it today- A-. Great send-up! Not as hilarious as Pineapple Express (that had me on the floor laughing), but terrific. Tom Cruise was a scream! I usually hate him.

Etsy shop
Kira's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2008, 03:04 AM   #30
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Kira's Mom wrote: View Post
Saw it today- A-. Great send-up! Not as hilarious as Pineapple Express (that had me on the floor laughing), but terrific. Tom Cruise was a scream! I usually hate him.
Tom Cruise really shocked the hell out of me and with the dancing. Cruise hasn't been this enjoyable on screen for ages. Maybe in all of his roles he should don a bald-wig, lots of stage hair and a paunch belt?

"Who's the key grip?"
"I am sir."
"I want you to go up to that director and punch him right in the fucking face!"

Great, great stuff. I liked him almost as much as I liked RDJ. Both of them really stole the show and over shadowed Stiller and Black -both of whom I usualy enjoy very much and were really good in this movie but neither "lived up" to what RDJ and Cruise were doing.