The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 16 2008, 08:08 AM   #31
darkwing_duck1
Vice Admiral

Re: New Conan movie in the works.

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
darkwing_duck1 wrote: View Post
I'd like to see Dwane Johnson (The Rock) as Conan. He proved he can do action AND be intelligent (even witty) in "The Scorpion King".

Of course, I'm still waiting for SK 2 also...
Please take my word for it and don't, it's really bad and I watch a lot of bad stuff and it's not even enjoyable bad.

They haven't MADE SK2...
darkwing_duck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2008, 08:17 AM   #32
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I'd like to see Dwane Johnson (The Rock) as Conan. He proved he can do action AND be intelligent (even witty) in "The Scorpion King".

Please take my word for it and don't, it's really bad and I watch a lot of bad stuff and it's not even enjoyable bad.

They haven't MADE SK2...
It's leaked: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1104123/
Will be released next week.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2008, 09:17 AM   #33
Australis
Writer

^ Dwayne Jonson ISN'T in it.

I too think he'd be a good Conan. but don't want him to just be an Ahnolt clone.

ETA: the main guy is... Randy Couture????

What kind of name is Couture for a tough guy????

Sounds like he should be sitting beside a Paris catwalk making bitchy comments.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."

Last edited by Australis; August 16 2008 at 09:29 AM.
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2008, 09:20 AM   #34
Dream
Admiral

Australis wrote: View Post
^ Dwayne Jonson ISN'T in it.

I too think he';d be a good Conan. but don't want him to just be an Ahnolt clone.
Yeah. The Rock isn't in The Scorpion King 2. The movie is supposed to be a prequel of the first Scorpion King movie which in turn had been a prequel to the Mummy Returns. Confused yet?

Last edited by Dream; August 16 2008 at 09:43 AM.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2008, 11:02 AM   #35
dragunzng
Rear Admiral

View dragunzng's Twitter Profile

I wouldn't, I really like Dwayne Johnson, he seems like a really nice guy and a decent actor, but I could never buy him as Conan, he's just too nice.

I sort of hope it's someone I don't know, mainly because I can't of anyone who looks like Conan.
Old August 16 2008, 11:59 AM   #36
Steve Roby
Commodore

It's funny, when it comes to adaptations it seems that only extremely faithful adaptations are desirable. Most movies seem to be pre-judged on how faithful they are to the source material and deviation is generally seen as negative.
What's funny about that?

Some source material is harder to make work on screen than other source material, which is why Blade Runner is so different from Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. There are too many story threads that just wouldn't lend themselves to a movie (Mercerism, for example).

But in general... does it make sense for someone to say "We love this story! We love it so much we want to spend millions of dollars to make it something the people who know and love the story won't even recognize!"

The problem with Conan is that, thanks to the previous movies, millions of people think they know who Conan is and what he's about. They greatly outnumber the people who've actually read Robert E. Howard. Cynical as I am, it wouldn't surprise me if whoever makes the movie decides it's more important to stay consistent to the widespread but misguided notion that Conan's a bodybuilder with flashy sword moves in a generic fantasy world.
Steve Roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2008, 04:47 PM   #37
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

^^ I guess because it seems films are dismissed out of hand for their approach if they aren't faithful rather than how they work on their own.

For example, Tim Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory often gets praised as superior for being closer to the source material rather than seriously considering if it's better than the prior film on its own merits. Similarly, his Batman is often shot down because it doesn't match up with the particulars of the comics.

I'm not saying I'm immune to it either but unlike say cover songs where an original approach is often praised it just seems that when it comes to movie adaptations people want to see exactly what they read on the screen. Perhaps it would be better to see how well it works as used in the film itself?
Old August 16 2008, 04:53 PM   #38
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

dragunzng wrote: View Post

I wouldn't, I really like Dwayne Johnson, he seems like a really nice guy and a decent actor, but I could never buy him as Conan, he's just too nice.

I sort of hope it's someone I don't know, mainly because I can't of anyone who looks like Conan.
I agree with that sentiment.

I don't know how his acting chops would be but Dave Batista of the WWE has a look that I think could work for Conan.
Old August 16 2008, 05:34 PM   #39
Hermiod
Admiral

dragunzng wrote: View Post

I agree with that sentiment.

I don't know how his acting chops would be but Dave Batista of the WWE has a look that I think could work for Conan.
The sum total of his acting experience is an episode of Smallville where he didn't say much.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote