Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old August 16 2008, 02:20 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Star Trek News Bullets

• IO9 reports that building a toy Enterprise is not as easy as one would think. Sculptors at Art Asylum shared emails sent back and forth with their production factory, in which they discussed various elements of their work. "Windows and some details in general seem sloppy please make sure in final product windows and details are straight and uniform," said one email. Another was critical of some elements, saying "Scribe lines on prototype in general are too wide, thick and sometimes very sloppy make finer and thinner. I can even see where the drill bit for the CNC machine slipped. This is not acceptable."

• Portraying a Romulan means perfecting a new made-up language, according to Clifton Collins Jr., who is one of the Romulans in the forthcoming Star Trek XI as reported by E! Online. "Me and Eric [Bana] are the new Romulans," said Collins. "They had a linguist come in and invent Romulan!" Collins went on to describe the Romulan look. "We're space pirates,", said Collins. "Think of Johnny Depp as a Romulan." Collins also hinted at surprise appearances in Star Trek XI, saying "There is, but I better not say. There are certain things that as kids growing up, whether it's Star Trek or other shows at the time, all you got to do is really just hear their voice and your heart warms."

• TrekMovie.com reported on new toys to appear on store shelves, including a EMCE Toys Retro MEGO playset, based on the 1975 MEGO Star Trek Enterprise Bridge playset. The playset, available next year, will retail for approximately $60.00. If fan response good, there is the possibility of future retro MEGO 'Star Trek' playsets. Another retro item, a life-sized captain's chair, is being made by Diamond Select. The chair will be a functional piece of furniture and will have lights and sound.

• According to two scientists as reported by Telegraph.co.uk, Star Trek warp drive is a possibility. Dr Gerald Cleaver, associate professor of physics at Baylor, and Richard Obousy have come up with an idea to produce a warp drive that they believe can travel faster than the speed of light, without breaking the laws of physics. But to do this, scientists need to harness a mysterious, poorly understood cosmic antigravity force, called dark energy.

Old August 16 2008, 06:55 AM   #2
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek News Bullets

I find it amusing that Art Asylum frets over small details like making the windows look right, yet they put those nasty round pegs (which I am presuming are to cover up screws) which are spaced unevenly in their toy models.
Old August 17 2008, 01:52 AM   #3
Pioneer
Captain

Re: Star Trek News Bullets

Broccoli wrote: View Post
I find it amusing that Art Asylum frets over small details like making the windows look right, yet they put those nasty round pegs (which I am presuming are to cover up screws) which are spaced unevenly in their toy models.
Send them an e-mail.
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)