RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,806
Posts: 5,326,185
Members: 24,549
Currently online: 594
Newest member: kania

TrekToday headlines

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 15 2008, 07:27 PM   #1
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral
 
BrotherBenny's Avatar
 
Location: BrotherBenny
View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny
Britons Rejoice - eBooks are coming

Britons rejoice. Sony have finally deigned to release the PRS-505/SC in the UK and for a mere £199.99. It comes out on the 20th September 2008 and I'm seriously thinking about picking it up.

Cue JWolf for the lowdown.
__________________
"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." - Henry David Thoreau

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2008, 07:40 PM   #2
tenmei
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Manchester, UK
Re: Britons Rejoice - eBooks are coming

Meh, no more likely for me to get an eBook reader than I am now. I just like the way my books line up on the shelf.
__________________
Follow my literary odyssey at 52 Weeks, 26 Books ...
tenmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2008, 07:56 PM   #3
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral
 
BrotherBenny's Avatar
 
Location: BrotherBenny
View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny
Re: Britons Rejoice - eBooks are coming

As do I, but the only reason I didn't get one before was the price and size of the reader.

I will be buying this and getting the ST eBooks to go with it.
__________________
"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." - Henry David Thoreau

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2008, 11:38 PM   #4
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral
 
JoeZhang's Avatar
 
Re: Britons Rejoice - eBooks are coming

I prefer my phone - slips straight into my pocket.
JoeZhang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2008, 02:50 PM   #5
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral
 
Dimesdan's Avatar
 
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan
Re: Britons Rejoice - eBooks are coming

Thats half the bloody price of my lap top!

But even if it was a lot cheaper, I'm dead tree all the way when it comes to my pleasure reading, although when that smart plastic stuff like in Minority Report is developed, I might get that for my daily newspaper.
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2008, 01:55 PM   #6
JWolf
Commodore
 
JWolf's Avatar
 
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Re: Britons Rejoice - eBooks are coming

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
I prefer my phone - slips straight into my pocket.
And while you read your eBooks on your phone, you sit there and drain the battery so when the time comes when you need to make a phone call, you sit there and curse the dead battery.
__________________
Jon
JWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2008, 01:58 PM   #7
JWolf
Commodore
 
JWolf's Avatar
 
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Re: Britons Rejoice - eBooks are coming

Dimesdan wrote: View Post
Thats half the bloody price of my lap top!

But even if it was a lot cheaper, I'm dead tree all the way when it comes to my pleasure reading, although when that smart plastic stuff like in Minority Report is developed, I might get that for my daily newspaper.
Might be 1/2 the cost, but it's not even 1/2 the usefulness for reading eBooks on the go.
__________________
Jon
JWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2008, 02:02 PM   #8
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral
 
JoeZhang's Avatar
 
Re: Britons Rejoice - eBooks are coming

JWolf wrote: View Post
JoeZhang wrote: View Post
I prefer my phone - slips straight into my pocket.
And while you read your eBooks on your phone, you sit there and drain the battery so when the time comes when you need to make a phone call, you sit there and curse the dead battery.

Never happened so far.
JoeZhang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2008, 04:32 PM   #9
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral
 
Dimesdan's Avatar
 
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan
Re: Britons Rejoice - eBooks are coming

JWolf wrote: View Post
Dimesdan wrote: View Post
Thats half the bloody price of my lap top!

But even if it was a lot cheaper, I'm dead tree all the way when it comes to my pleasure reading, although when that smart plastic stuff like in Minority Report is developed, I might get that for my daily newspaper.
Might be 1/2 the cost, but it's not even 1/2 the usefulness for reading eBooks on the go.
I know from observing previous posts you've put, you are very passonate about ebooks, but I find having a hard copy book in my pocket or bag far better on the go than something I don't have a need of nor can I actually justify the cost, so, until thay make that fancy plastopaper, I'm sticking to my dead renewable sourced tree books!
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2008, 10:15 PM   #10
Idoliside
Commander
 
Idoliside's Avatar
 
Location: UK, Norfolk
Re: Britons Rejoice - eBooks are coming

I have a compaq ipaq, bought it for notes and organising my complicated life (heh), it also reads microsoft .lit files. Handy
Idoliside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2008, 11:35 PM   #11
T'Leisha
Lieutenant
 
Location: England
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to T'Leisha
Re: Britons Rejoice - eBooks are coming

There's something about the feel and smell of the pages of a book that makes the experience what it is.
I don't think i could give up the pleasure i feel in actually reading, and turning the pages, for something flashy and convenient. I enjoy the simple tactile sensation involved far too much.
Someone once told me that digitalised... Everything, is the future. That's probably true, but i think it would be a real shame if actual books with pages become obsolete. I think certainly some people might push for that, in the name of being forest friendly or some such. I'd probably only read an ebook, if my chosen read was no longer available in print.
T'Leisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2008, 12:21 AM   #12
Deano2099
Commander
 
Re: Britons Rejoice - eBooks are coming

Ebooks will take off eventually, but they don't offer any major advantages over dead-tree books at the moment. And for each advantage there's also a disadvantage.

Now if they were half the price, that might not matter. Or if paperbacks were sold with a redemption code for the eBook thrown in for free they might be able to slowly slide into greater use.

But at the moment they're just not viable. £200 is a lot. I might consider though if it did what my iPod did - let me carry my entire book collection about with me. But it doesn't. In fact I'd have to re-buy every book I want to read on it. Would the iPod ever have taken off if it'd only play albums you bought off iTunes? And they were the same price as the CDs. And you'd have to rebuy all the old ones. No chance.

The convenience and ease of use of an eBook reader really appeals to me. But I have 100s of unread books. If I can't read those on it it's no use whatsoever.
Deano2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2008, 12:25 AM   #13
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral
 
JoeZhang's Avatar
 
Re: Britons Rejoice - eBooks are coming

you are mixing up the cost of a particular reader with ebooks.


JoeZhang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2008, 03:54 PM   #14
JWolf
Commodore
 
JWolf's Avatar
 
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Re: Britons Rejoice - eBooks are coming

Deano2099 wrote: View Post
Ebooks will take off eventually, but they don't offer any major advantages over dead-tree books at the moment. And for each advantage there's also a disadvantage.

Now if they were half the price, that might not matter. Or if paperbacks were sold with a redemption code for the eBook thrown in for free they might be able to slowly slide into greater use.

But at the moment they're just not viable. £200 is a lot. I might consider though if it did what my iPod did - let me carry my entire book collection about with me. But it doesn't. In fact I'd have to re-buy every book I want to read on it. Would the iPod ever have taken off if it'd only play albums you bought off iTunes? And they were the same price as the CDs. And you'd have to rebuy all the old ones. No chance.

The convenience and ease of use of an eBook reader really appeals to me. But I have 100s of unread books. If I can't read those on it it's no use whatsoever.
Imagine carrying the lastes SCE/CoE omnibus around with you. In fact, imaging carrying two of them. Can you do it? Do you want to do it? Now imagine carrying around a device that is about the same size as a regular paperback, slightly wider, not as thick, and slightly heavier. Now imagine the SCE/CoE eBook on it able to be read when you want without the hassle of having to carry such heavy omnibuses. It's well worth it.
__________________
Jon
JWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2008, 04:49 PM   #15
tenmei
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Manchester, UK
Re: Britons Rejoice - eBooks are coming

But, you say imagine carrying around two SCE ominbuses around with you. The point would be - would I want to and would I ever need to? I'm terrible for taking books on holiday - as I read fast and can usually get through about three or four average paperbacks during a two week holiday - and that's more than most people I know may want to carry on holiday. But in other circumstances, I'd not want to carry two SCE omnibuses around - maybe one at a time, because that's all I'm going to read on the bus.
__________________
Follow my literary odyssey at 52 Weeks, 26 Books ...
tenmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
e-readers, ebooks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.