RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,664
Members: 24,815
Currently online: 396
Newest member: AlphaZero

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 12 2008, 07:10 PM   #16
comicbookwriter
Captain

View comicbookwriter's Twitter Profile
Re: top ten hip hop albums of all time?

Cutter John wrote: View Post
Speaking as an old geezer who's definately not a rap fan, its a bit unfair to expect us to want to spend a whole lot of time and money tracking down 'good' examples when pretty much all thats promoted to us are the bitches shaking their asses in the camera, and punks covered in blink flashing fistfuls of $100 bills and rapping about what bad-asses they are on MTV and BET.

Or maybe I'm just showing my age.
But just that's my point. Its not that I expect you to DO anything, I am just saying that what's promoted is actually not at all reflective of the culture as a whole or even in part.

However, it has nothing to do with age as much as just enough wisdom to know that while something might not be your "cup of tea" it doesn't make it bad or invalid.

I am 34 years old and I grew up listening to this stuff and I can tell you that the majority of the fans of the first generation or "old school" hip-hop are as appalled as those who don't know anything about it.

I hate all these new school acts that are nothing more than pawns of record execs and producers who want to make the quickest buck imaginable.

Bottom line, if you're not a fan, you're not a fan, but if you have an open enough mind and some free time, I can recommend some quality stuff to you that might surprise you.

CBW

The only podcast for aspiring sci-fi and comic book writers.

comicbookwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2008, 07:12 PM   #17
Goliath
Vice Admiral

Cutter John wrote: View Post
Speaking as an old geezer who's definately not a rap fan, its a bit unfair to expect us to want to spend a whole lot of time and money tracking down 'good' examples when pretty much all thats promoted to us are the bitches shaking their asses in the camera, and punks covered in blink flashing fistfuls of $100 bills and rapping about what bad-asses they are on MTV and BET.

Or maybe I'm just showing my age.
Just listen to the discs people are suggesting in this thread. Problem solved.

Or, play GTA: San Andreas and keep your car radio tuned to Radio Los Santos.

That worked for this old geezer.
Old August 12 2008, 07:27 PM   #18
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

You don't even had to spend any money if you want to check out some of these albums. We7.com has a few of them to stream for free (ad funded).
Old August 12 2008, 09:57 PM   #19
DeVario
Commodore

Nerdius Maximus wrote: View Post
Paul's Botique is tragically underrated. The beats alone are a work of genius.
It still sounds almost brand new today. That's what I love about it. I remember I bought the vinyl back in 1989. As I heard it, it never even occured to me that it was vastly different from LTI or something highly innovative. I just knew that I really dug it.
DeVario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2008, 07:48 PM   #20
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Anyone else like Riz MC? I first heard of him after he was in Road To Guantanamo, but I've really liked every song I've heard of his since.