Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 13 2008, 10:06 PM   #31
Red Ranger
Admiral

Re: No respect for the character of Scotty in "Relics"?

brian wrote: View Post
Mallory wrote: View Post
Hambone wrote: View Post
What I didn't like was the ending...getting the old codger off the ship in a shuttlecraft so he'd quit bugging Geordi was kind of lame.
I didn't like the ending either. It seemed a lot like the Eskimos putting their elderly on icebergs and pushing them off to sea.
Yeah, you get the sense that the shuttle is rigged to space him and return on autopilot right after the closing credits.
Ah, no. Giving a respected retired officer use of a shuttlecraft doesn't sound to me like the bum's rush. Scotty wanted to get back to work, as he indicates toward the end. They gave him one of their shuttles so he could do that.

As a captain of engineering, I wonder what kind of project he'd be involved in if he reactivated his Starfleet commission -- after some time catching up on his technical manuals, of course!

And what uniform would he wear? Me, I think it would be similar to the Picard variant uniform, with the jacket in black and operations gold and the black-and-gray tunic underneath.

Red Ranger

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman
Red Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2008, 10:24 PM   #32
John Picard
Vice Admiral

golakers wrote: View Post
Just watched "Relics" tonight. I was so excited for this crossover when it first aired in 1992. Watching it again, I'm reminded what a bummer this episode turned out to be even though it had much potential.

Ron Moore sure threw out some TOS love with the references to Kirk and especially the real fanboy references to "By Any other Name". "Elaan of Troyus" and a couple other old episodes.

However, Moore didn't reference that Scotty was a rockstar engineer and a known part of Starfleet history. I was disappointed that Geordi and Picard didn't immediately recognize Scotty. A little recognition and props for being the legendary "miracle worker" It seemed like they knew Kirk and the Enterprise, but Scotty got sold short in terms of name recognition.

Did anyone else feel this way? It made the whole useless old guy story line even more depressing.
I didn't read through all of the posts, but I suggest you read the novel. it goes into more detail that a one-hour story can't. Scotty really was out of his element by the 24th Century.
Old August 13 2008, 11:10 PM   #33
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

The ending is odd to me too.

"Well then, I thought you were going to buy me a drink in Ten-Forward."
"Actually, I had a better idea."

You can leave!

Old August 13 2008, 11:43 PM   #34
nx1701g
Admiral

Then again knowing Scotty that shuttlecraft is probably more capable than the Enterprise-D is within a week.

Not Dead Yet.
nx1701g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2008, 12:18 AM   #35
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

nx1701g wrote: View Post
Then again knowing Scotty that shuttlecraft is probably more capable than the Enterprise-D is within a week.
Pimp My Shuttlecraft! Why use a wimpy replicator when you can have... an ionic plasma gas-powered grill with dual quantum-lock hinged stainless steel door?
Cyke101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2008, 12:56 AM   #36
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
nx1701g wrote: View Post
Pimp My Shuttlecraft! Why use a wimpy replicator when you can have... an ionic plasma gas-powered grill with dual quantum-lock hinged stainless steel door?
And check it out. We've got LCARS interactive panels in the headreasts!
Old August 14 2008, 01:33 AM   #37
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Gods save us from a Trek story where modern Trek characters fawn over TOS characters. That's not drama, it's fanboy wish fulfillment verging on masturbation.

"Relics" was wonderful because for the very first (and last) time in the history of "Star Trek" James Doohan was the central actor and star of a Trek production (that episode about "Redjack?" Don't make me laugh). The episode honored Doohan and gave him an opportunity to show what he was capable of in a "Star Trek" story, so who cares whether "Scotty" was properly worshipped or not?

Last edited by Admiral Buzzkill; August 14 2008 at 04:12 AM.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2008, 04:11 AM   #38
Mr. Fergy
Fleet Captain

View Mr. Fergy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Fergy

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
Geordi probably skipped class when they talked about Scotty...same as he skipped class when they talked about how to eject the warp core.

Maybe.

Then again ST: Generations made the whole, damned, TNG crew look incompetent.
Old August 14 2008, 04:13 AM   #39
Mr. Fergy
Fleet Captain

View Mr. Fergy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Fergy

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
Gods save us from a Trek story where modern Trek characters fawn over TOS characters. That's not drama, it's fanboy wish fulfillment verging on masturbation.

"Relics" was wonderful because for the very first (and last) time in the history of "Star Trek" he was the central actor and star of a Trek production (that episode about "Redjack?" Don't make me laugh). The episode honored Doohan and gave him an opportunity to show what he was capable of in a "Star Trek" story, so who cares whether "Scotty" was properly worshipped or not?
I couldn't agree more. Relics was a brilliant episode, easily one of the top 5. Hell, reports say it made the Directors wife cry, and she's not a Trekkie it was so good.
Old August 14 2008, 12:09 PM   #40
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Mr. Fergy wrote: View Post
The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
Geordi probably skipped class when they talked about Scotty...same as he skipped class when they talked about how to eject the warp core.

Maybe.

Then again ST: Generations made the whole, damned, TNG crew look incompetent.
It wasn't just Generations...it was a pattern that developed throughout the show. Every one of the many times that the ship was threatened with a warp core breach, they either never mentioned ejecting it, or gave some vague excuse as to why it couldn't be done. They put a safety system in there and then constantly make excuses why it won't work. So it became my humorous contention that Geordi was hiding the fact that he never learned how to eject the warp core.
50 years ago on the week of April 4: With a little help from their latest #1 single, the Beatles occupy the top five spots on the Billboard Hot 100 chart--a feat yet to be matched.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2008, 07:47 AM   #41
Timo
Admiral

That would be pretty consistent with most of the preceding Trek, though. In TNG, and perhaps TOS, warp core ejection is only a theoretical possibility that really spells doom for the ship one way or another, be it a horrible instant kaboom or a long freezing to death. Many real-world "safety systems" are like that, simply because it is impossible to build anything better.

It's only in VOY that we first begin to get the impression that the system might actually work as intended. Perhaps the engineers vanquished the impossible in the decades between the construction of the respective hero ships?

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote