Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old August 12 2008, 10:04 PM   #31
Jon1701
Rear Admiral

Re: Uniform Differences

Cary L. Brown wrote: View Post
jon1701 wrote: View Post
I suppose the only thing you could say for Spiderman, Superman et all is that they only had to make one outfit (although they probably made plenty of spares) as opposed the the hundreds they made this time out. I've no idea the costs involved in creating a delta shield-esqe fabric off the shelf. I assume its a relatively simple process but I honestly have no idea.

I think we need a fabric expert. Do we have a fabric expert on the board? There's never a fabric expert when you need one.

I can't believe I'm discussing fabric.
In order to create a new weave, you have to createa new weaving process and, in most cases, create new weaving machinery to produce it. And it's not a trivial task to come up with a weaving pattern.

I've never dealt with this for clothing purposes, but I've dealt with composites using woven fabric meshes integrated into them. In these cases, it's critical to get the "weave" exactly right for mechanical purposes, as you can certainly guess.

To create a new weaving process would probably run in the range of between 3 and 5 million dollars. Unless, as I said, they got lucky and found a fabric which already had the right shape in it already, purely by coincidence.

Now, if the shirts are some form of polymer-blend (rayon/polyester, for instance) they could theoretically "iron in" the patterns... essentially, do a small local melt of the fabric fibers to give it a little "sheen" in various locations. This would be practical, but the fabric would be compromised in terms of its strength... meaning that the tunics would probably only last through three wearings (and washings) before they'd need replacement.

But, again, the ONLY time this has ever been done in the past was with what were literally "rubber suits."

Furthermore... think about it... who's going to NOTICE the little symbols in the fabric? If the audience is bored enough by the STORY to be paying attention to the FABRIC WEAVING... then as far as I'm concerned, this'll mean that we have a true BOMB on our hands.

Only us... the "hardcore fans"... will even really care that the costumes are blue, red, and an earth-tone gold... and that's as it should be.

If even the FANS give a flying @#$* about "little symbols" in the fabric... and worse yet, if the production team WANTS US to give a flying @#$* about that... the production is doomed!
I still can't believe we are discussing fabric. Fabric. Man, we are fucking nerds...

Old August 12 2008, 10:05 PM   #32
Franklin
Rear Admiral

With computerized weaving and weaving pattern software out there, would creating a small and tight Starfleet shield pattern in fabric really be much more complicated than doing a fancy herringbone or hounds tooth pattern?
Old August 13 2008, 02:02 AM   #33
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Franklin wrote: View Post
With computerized weaving and weaving pattern software out there, would creating a small and tight Starfleet shield pattern in fabric really be much more complicated than doing a fancy herringbone or hounds tooth pattern?
There's been a lot of innovation in textile weaving and printing technology. This is far from the first time this has been done for a movie - it's a cool thing, but not challenging from a technical or budget POV on a film of this scale.
Old August 13 2008, 02:15 AM   #34
PowderedToastMan
Commodore

SonicRanger wrote: View Post
M'Sharak wrote: View Post
...It was mentioned in this article at TrekMovie that it is indeed a fabric pattern...
Sorta:

As TrekMovie’s closer look at the new poster reveals (above), the colored uniform blouses have small ‘delta shield’ emblems woven into the fabric (this is most apparent on Saldana’s)
That just means: "Hey, we looked at the poster and saw a delta pattern."

That is no more authoritative than anyone else looking at the poster.
We have actually known about the delta woven into ALL the uniforms for quite a while, it is just now that we can show it
Old August 13 2008, 02:19 AM   #35
M
Vice Admiral

PowderedToastMan wrote: View Post
We have actually known about the delta woven into ALL the uniforms for quite a while, it is just now that we can show it
You knew it all along?! And you didn't tell us? What kind of news site are you?

Kust kidding, of course.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
Old August 13 2008, 02:35 AM   #36
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
There's been a lot of innovation in textile weaving and printing technology. This is far from the first time this has been done for a movie - it's a cool thing, but not challenging from a technical or budget POV on a film of this scale.
Indeed. Just as an example (Cary... ), LucasFilm had custom patterned fabric woven for the Jedi robes in the prequel films. Some enterprising fans even joined forces and hired a company to recreate the weave for sale to other fans interested in making costumes; so it's clearly expensive, but not so much that it's beyond the reach of a movie studio, or even a few die-hard fans.
Old August 13 2008, 05:46 AM   #37
PixelMagic
Lieutenant Commander

I don't think the delta shield is weaved into the fabric, it's probably silk screened on.
Old August 13 2008, 01:17 PM   #38
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

It might just be part of the movie poster art. The whole promotion so far has focused on the delta shield. I doubt that the actors actually will have little delta shields in their eyes in the film -- that's just part of the artwork. So too could be the delta pattern on the uniforms here to give them some texture. I am not convinced that's the actually fabric pattern in the film.
It was mentioned in this article at TrekMovie that it is indeed a fabric pattern. That detail and others from the article were discussed in this thread, which also contains links to images in which the fabric pattern can be clearly made out.

The delta shields in the eyes most likely will not be seen in the film. That's just ad stuff.
I read through the entire thread (as it was being written) which you refer to, and either I missed the post showing the shield-in-weaving or it wasn't really there...

I remember that in the old board software it was quite easy to link to a specific post inside a specific thread. I haven't tried that since the change-over, but it seems likely that it wouldn't be much different... so perhaps you can link to the specific post?

Also... why isn't this evident in the Quinto-as-Spock image? His costume's "over-shirt" looks, simply, like velour, doesn't it?

http://www.trekmovie.com/images/trekmovieposter1.jpg
Old August 13 2008, 02:27 PM   #39
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

cbp44189 wrote: View Post

Why would it be lame?
Or lamé?
Old August 13 2008, 05:01 PM   #40
The Creeper
Commodore

EJD1984 wrote: View Post
I've noticed that the new uniform's material has the Trek logo pattern embossed throughout for Uhura, Scotty, McCoy, Sulu, and Chekov, but not for Spock (maybe not for Kirk as well).

Is this something subtle they're doing interconnected to the ranks? Officers vs. Enlisted?
EJD1984 wrote: View Post
Ok, since there seems to alot of aggrement/conformation about the "delta texture" to the uniforms.

This goes back to my original post: Why does the texture seem to be missing from Spock's shirt?
Also... why isn't this evident in the Quinto-as-Spock image? His costume's "over-shirt" looks, simply, like velour, doesn't it?
http://www.trekmovie.com/images/trekmovieposter1.jpg
I too do not see the pattern on Spock's shirt and I am thinking it may be his shirt was not created by whoever created the Starfleet uniforms. I mean, (in story) the Vulcan's supply their own with custom uniforms which meet the special requirements (need to be warmer) for Vulcan's in the Fleet. Also, the use of patterned material, along with being "illogical" may inhibit the insulating quality of the material used but more likely - they just want to be different.

Last edited by The Creeper; August 13 2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old August 13 2008, 05:12 PM   #41
SonicRanger
Rear Admiral

^^^

Patterns are illogical. Solid colors are the logical choice.

Last edited by SonicRanger; August 13 2008 at 05:53 PM.
Old August 13 2008, 05:12 PM   #42
Masquerade
Rear Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
cbp44189 wrote: View Post

Why would it be lame?
Or lamé?
It would be gold lame. Or avocado green lame as it's known among Trekkies.
Old August 13 2008, 05:24 PM   #43
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

I read through the entire thread (as it was being written) which you refer to, and either I missed the post showing the shield-in-weaving or it wasn't really there...

I remember that in the old board software it was quite easy to link to a specific post inside a specific thread. I haven't tried that since the change-over, but it seems likely that it wouldn't be much different... so perhaps you can link to the specific post?
My mistake. While it was mentioned in a post fairly early on in that thread, the discussion I was thinking of took place in a different thread, starting with this post. (No one could see the delta-shield pattern on Spock's tunic there, either.) There are at least a couple of links to pages containing high-resolution copies of the poster images. Have a look and see what you think.
Old August 13 2008, 05:34 PM   #44
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Well then, they're being illogical.

Imagine that.
Old August 13 2008, 06:35 PM   #45
SonicRanger
Rear Admiral

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
Well then, they're being illogical.

Imagine that.
That's the new film's explanation for why Vulcans disapprove of Starfleet: illogical uniforms.
Closed Thread