Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old August 12 2008, 12:31 PM   #1
EJD1984
Commander

Uniform Differences

I've noticed that the new uniform's material has the Trek logo pattern embossed throughout for Uhura, Scotty, McCoy, Sulu, and Chekov, but not for Spock (maybe not for Kirk as well).

Is this something subtle they're doing interconnected to the ranks? Officers vs. Enlisted?
Old August 12 2008, 02:23 PM   #2
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Uniform Differences

It's just not visible in those two photos.
Old August 12 2008, 02:23 PM   #3
SonicRanger
Rear Admiral

It might just be part of the movie poster art. The whole promotion so far has focused on the delta shield. I doubt that the actors actually will have little delta shields in their eyes in the film -- that's just part of the artwork. So too could be the delta pattern on the uniforms here to give them some texture. I am not convinced that's the actually fabric pattern in the film.
Old August 12 2008, 02:41 PM   #4
Squiggy Claus
Rampant Sexist

View Squiggy Claus's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy Claus

What would it take to convince you, more pictures?
Old August 12 2008, 02:57 PM   #5
SonicRanger
Rear Admiral

Squiggyfm wrote: View Post
What would it take to convince you, more pictures?
Of course a photo that hasn't been artistically altered would be convincing. It just seems clear that the delta shield has been a recurring theme for the film's promotion -- these posters remind us of that. The subtle delta shield pattern, as seen in this posters, could be just an "easter egg" of sorts -- a little detail for us to catch, just like the delta reflected in their eyes. The graphic designers might also have decided that the uniforms needed some sort of texture when printed in monochrome on large posters. At this point, the delta pattern could just be an artistic addition.
Old August 12 2008, 03:03 PM   #6
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

The chevrons are on the uniforms.
Old August 12 2008, 05:17 PM   #7
ancient
Vice Admiral

There were no deltas visible on the grey uniform a while back, though that's not a command uniform. Some might have the little pattern thing, but others don't.
Old August 12 2008, 05:19 PM   #8
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

ancient wrote: View Post
There were no deltas visible on the grey uniform a while back, though that's not a command uniform. Some might have the little pattern thing, but others don't.
Let me be more specific: the deltas are on the TOS-style uniforms.
Old August 12 2008, 05:28 PM   #9
ToysOnLayAway
Rear Admiral

While I think the uniforms being made of little chevrons is Superman Returns lame, it's not that far a stretch. And it doesn't look as stupid as having a camo pattern made up of the GIJoe logo. The approach they seem to be taking with TOS unis is just layered athletic wear like Nike, Adidas, or Under Armor. The chevron is also a minor detail you'll barely see onscreen.
Old August 12 2008, 05:39 PM   #10
Messianni
Commodore

View Messianni's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Messianni Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Messianni

It's doubtful you'll see them on screen at all. It will just add texture to the uniforms.
Old August 12 2008, 05:52 PM   #11
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

ManOnTheWave wrote: View Post
Superman Returns lame
Non sequitor.
Old August 12 2008, 07:03 PM   #12
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

SonicRanger wrote: View Post
It might just be part of the movie poster art. The whole promotion so far has focused on the delta shield. I doubt that the actors actually will have little delta shields in their eyes in the film -- that's just part of the artwork. So too could be the delta pattern on the uniforms here to give them some texture. I am not convinced that's the actually fabric pattern in the film.
It was mentioned in this article at TrekMovie that it is indeed a fabric pattern. That detail and others from the article were discussed in this thread, which also contains links to images in which the fabric pattern can be clearly made out.

The delta shields in the eyes most likely will not be seen in the film. That's just ad stuff.
Old August 12 2008, 07:15 PM   #13
EJD1984
Commander

Ok, since there seems to alot of aggrement/conformation about the "delta texture" to the uniforms.

This goes back to my original post: Why does the texture seem to be missing from Spock's shirt?
Old August 12 2008, 07:21 PM   #14
Messianni
Commodore

View Messianni's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Messianni Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Messianni

Lighting.
Old August 12 2008, 07:40 PM   #15
SonicRanger
Rear Admiral

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
...It was mentioned in this article at TrekMovie that it is indeed a fabric pattern...
Sorta:

As TrekMovie’s closer look at the new poster reveals (above), the colored uniform blouses have small ‘delta shield’ emblems woven into the fabric (this is most apparent on Saldana’s)
That just means: "Hey, we looked at the poster and saw a delta pattern."

That is no more authoritative than anyone else looking at the poster.

I should point out, though, that I'm happy if this adds more depth to the uniforms so that they look great on a 40' screen or in high-def -- I'm not certainly against the idea, just a bit dubious at this point that we're not just seeing some creative license in the poster art.
Closed Thread