Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 11 2008, 06:00 PM   #1
Nerdius Maximus
Fleet Captain

top ten hip hop albums of all time?

Public Enemy: It takes a nation of millions...

Ice Cube: Amerikkka's most wanted

EPMD: Strictly Business

Dr. Dre: The Chronic

Beastie Boys: License to Ill

NWA: Straight outta compton

LL Cool J: Radio

Slick Rick: The Great adventures of Slick Rick

Wu-tang Clan: Enter the Wu-tang(36 chambers)

Eric B & Rakim: Follow the Leader
Nerdius Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2008, 06:10 PM   #2
comicbookwriter
Captain

View comicbookwriter's Twitter Profile
Re: top ten hip hop albums of all time?

Wow, someone on TrekBBS actually knows something about music other than punk rock, indie rock, or brit-pop?

This is truly a day for the ages.

I love rock too, but the average conversation about hip-hop on this board usually goes south rather quickly because everyone seems to lump all hip-hop in with gangsta rap (that would be the same as lumping all rock in with death metal, and this makes no sense considering there is as much difference between Alice Cooper -- 70s version -- and Warrant or G'n'R as there is a difference between Dr. Dre/N.W.A. and A Tribe Called Quest, for those who know about both groups).

This list is pretty good, but I would also have put in:

ILLMATIC -- Nas' 1st album

LOW END THEORY -- A Tribe Called Quest 2nd album

DE LA SOUL IS DEAD -- De La Soul 2nd album

ME AGAINST THE WORLD -- Tupac Shakur's 3rd album

READY TO DIE -- Biggie's 1st album

The only podcast for aspiring sci-fi and comic book writers.

comicbookwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2008, 06:12 PM   #3
Nerdius Maximus
Fleet Captain

I might also have included some early ice-t, like Rhyme Pays. Shit, I forgot about Run-DMC! Raising Hell is awesome. But yeah, my musical tastes are pretty diverse.
As far as 2pac's third album goes, I prefer his later, more thugged-out shit, but Me Against the World is definitely a classic.
Old August 11 2008, 06:59 PM   #4
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PKTrekGirl

comicbookwriter wrote: View Post
Wow, someone on TrekBBS actually knows something about music other than punk rock, indie rock, or brit-pop?

Actually, I think this comment is a bit unfair. There are actually a fair number of folks around here who listen to and know alot about classical music, country music, current mainstream rock, and classic rock as well. IMO, we are not nearly as narrow as you imply.

There is a rather wide variety of musical interests around here, actually. In fact, I'd guess that the demographics of the population at TrekBBS fall pretty much in line with the musical demographics of the population as a whole. You have a fair number of older posters here, for example - posters over 40. Maybe TrekBBSers over forty don't listen to hip hop...but then, most people over forty out in the general population don't listen to hip hop either.

In other words, you can't expect people here to defy the demographics.

However, it doesn't make us lacking in interest, imagination, or willingness to try new things. It just makes us willing to try DIFFERENT 'new things' than what you apparently prefer.

Shoot...not 4 months ago, I myself was introduced to a band on this very board which I had never heard before, but which is now one of my favorite bands ever. Because I live in the southern portion of the U.S. and this band is really only big in Canada, I might never have heard of them at all if it wasn't for this board. And here I am, 4 months and about 15 albums later, just NUTS for this band.

Bottom line - there is a tremendous amount of knowledge around here, and people ARE willing to try new things and give stuff a chance. It just might not be according to your personal tastes.

Star Trek XI - "You know, if you have ten extra sombreros lying around, I have an idea on how to improve your current avatar..." - Samuel T. Cogley
PKTrekGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2008, 07:26 PM   #5
comicbookwriter
Captain

PKTrekGirl wrote: View Post

Actually, I think this comment is a bit unfair. There are actually a fair number of folks around here who listen to and know alot about classical music, country music, current mainstream rock, and classic rock as well. IMO, we are not nearly as narrow as you imply.

There is a rather wide variety of musical interests around here, actually. In fact, I'd guess that the demographics of the population at TrekBBS fall pretty much in line with the musical demographics of the population as a whole. You have a fair number of older posters here, for example - posters over 40. Maybe TrekBBSers over forty don't listen to hip hop...but then, most people over forty out in the general population don't listen to hip hop either.

In other words, you can't expect people here to defy the demographics.

However, it doesn't make us lacking in interest, imagination, or willingness to try new things. It just makes us willing to try DIFFERENT 'new things' than what you apparently prefer.

Shoot...not 4 months ago, I myself was introduced to a band on this very board which I had never heard before, but which is now one of my favorite bands ever. Because I live in the southern portion of the U.S. and this band is really only big in Canada, I might never have heard of them at all if it wasn't for this board. And here I am, 4 months and about 15 albums later, just NUTS for this band.

Bottom line - there is a tremendous amount of knowledge around here, and people ARE willing to try new things and give stuff a chance. It just might not be according to your personal tastes.
I get your point and I agree with your statement overall. However, I wasn't saying that people should or need to be willing to learn more about hip-hop. I guess I was more referring to previous experiences on this board where people had such a harsh and negative reaction to the notion that not all hip-hop is equivalent to gangsta rap.

There were folks on BBS who literally believed that there is no content diversity to hip-hop. I was very frustrated by giving people info on albums and specific songs that they would never check out to see that I wasn't making it all up.

I guess when you speak of demographics, I am not at all surprised by the choices in music from the board. It does reflect the general trends of American pop culture and society. But the vehement opposition to the concept that all hip-hop is not the same was somewhat bewildering to me. It was as if people's conception of the genre was integral to their view of the world, vis a vis, their views of the blacks and latinos who created the genre.

CBW

Old August 11 2008, 07:53 PM   #6
Pingfah
Admiral

I'm not gonna list purely american classic hip hop cause I don't have 10 albums of that, but my list accommodating variations (including British) of hip hop would be:

Snoop - Doggystyle
De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising
Jurassic 5 - Jurassic 5 LP
Stereo MCs - Connected
The Herbaliser - Remedies
Red Snapper - Reeled and Skinned
The Streets - A Grand Don't Come for Free
Roots Manuva - Run Come Save Me
Tricky - Maxinquaye
Beastie Boys - License to Ill
Old August 11 2008, 08:16 PM   #7
DeVario
Commodore

In no order, my picks would be:

1) Enter the Wu-Tang: 36 Chambers -- Wu-Tang Clan

2) Paul's Boutique -- Beastie Boys

3) Run-D.M.C. -- Run-D.M.C.

4) All Eyez on Me -- 2Pac

5) The Chronic -- Dr. Dre

6) De La Soul Is Dead -- De La Soul

7) Ready to Die -- The Notorious B.I.G.

8) Illmatic -- Nas

9) It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back -- Public Enemy

10) Cypress Hill -- Cypress Hill
DeVario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2008, 08:29 PM   #8
Goliath
Vice Admiral

I guess I was more referring to previous experiences on this board where people had such a harsh and negative reaction to the notion that not all hip-hop is equivalent to gangsta rap.

That attitude makes no sense to me.

And I say that, not as someone who enjoys hip-hop in all its diversity, but as someone whose taste in this genre is pretty much confined to early-90s gangsta rap. I got turned on to that particular style and era by playing Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

I may not listen to other styles, but I'm aware they exist, and that people listen to them: they just don't do much for me, personally. To deny their existence makes no sense to me at all.

With that in mind--I definitely agree with at least three of the choices on the OP's list: Public Enemy, Dr. Dre, and NWA.

(Though the 'bonus track' on the CD of The Chronic almost ruined the whole album for me. What the hell was Dre thinking? I've never listened to that song again, after the first time.)

Personally, I would add Ice-T's Freedom of Speech...Just Watch What You Say.

And speaking just for myself, I would add one of Cypress Hill's first four albums. Doesn't matter which one--they're all pretty much the same. If I had to choose, I would probably pick IV. They went downhill pretty quickly after that one.

With that, I've probably revealed just how limited my taste in rap really is.
Old August 11 2008, 08:41 PM   #9
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

I wouldn't necessarily try and say they're the best hip hop albums every, but I've been enjoying Immortal Techniques Revolutionary, and 3rd World albums lately. Plus a few random German ones I downloaded off We7, one called Das Beste just seemed to grab me for some reason, even though I have no clue what's being said.

Also, he won't be to everyone's tastes, but Plan B's Who Needs Actions When You've Got Words, and Paint It Blacker, while disturbing are very good, in my opinion.

Last edited by Bob The Skutter; August 11 2008 at 08:48 PM.
Bob The Skutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2008, 09:30 PM   #10
comicbookwriter
Captain

Camelopard wrote: View Post
I guess I was more referring to previous experiences on this board where people had such a harsh and negative reaction to the notion that not all hip-hop is equivalent to gangsta rap.

I may not listen to other styles, but I'm aware they exist, and that people listen to them: they just don't do much for me, personally. To deny their existence makes no sense to me at all.

And now you see how I felt when I first got that attitude thrown at me a few years back.

I was over in the MISC. forum and we had some discussion of recent albums. IIRC, someone had mentioned a new rap album and it started a discussion of how "hip-hop wasn't real music" and then it turned into a critique of lyrical content.

Before it was over, the general vibe turned into "rap sucks, its just cursing and sexism and rock is perfect." Despite giving numerous examples of groups and songs that represented other sides to the genre, the folks there refused to believe it.

CBW

Old August 11 2008, 09:35 PM   #11
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Camelopard wrote: View Post

And now you see how I felt when I first got that attitude thrown at me a few years back.

I was over in the MISC. forum and we had some discussion of recent albums. IIRC, someone had mentioned a new rap album and it started a discussion of how "hip-hop wasn't real music" and then it turned into a critique of lyrical content.

Before it was over, the general vibe turned into "rap sucks, its just cursing and sexism and rock is perfect." Despite giving numerous examples of groups and songs that represented other sides to the genre, the folks there refused to believe it.

CBW
Yeah, I find those sorts of posts annoying. It's pretty obvious they've paid no attention to nothing other than what hits the charts and gets airplay on mainstream radio and MTV type channels, and if you do that with any genre of music, you're bound to get plenty of rubbish.
Old August 11 2008, 10:22 PM   #12
AlphaMan
Rear Admiral

Nerdius Maximus wrote: View Post
Public Enemy: It takes a nation of millions...

Ice Cube: Amerikkka's most wanted

EPMD: Strictly Business

Dr. Dre: The Chronic

Beastie Boys: License to Ill

NWA: Straight outta compton

LL Cool J: Radio

Slick Rick: The Great adventures of Slick Rick

Wu-tang Clan: Enter the Wu-tang(36 chambers)

Eric B & Rakim: Follow the Leader
That's actually pretty good. I'd throw some Biggie and 2Pac in there and drop The Beastie Boys, but that's just me.
AlphaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2008, 02:16 PM   #13
Nerdius Maximus
Fleet Captain

DeVario wrote: View Post
In no order, my picks would be:

1) Enter the Wu-Tang: 36 Chambers -- Wu-Tang Clan

2) Paul's Boutique -- Beastie Boys

3) Run-D.M.C. -- Run-D.M.C.

4) All Eyez on Me -- 2Pac

5) The Chronic -- Dr. Dre

6) De La Soul Is Dead -- De La Soul

7) Ready to Die -- The Notorious B.I.G.

8) Illmatic -- Nas

9) It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back -- Public Enemy

10) Cypress Hill -- Cypress Hill
Paul's Botique is tragically underrated. The beats alone are a work of genius. I should have found a way to fit some BDP in there, too.
Old August 12 2008, 02:29 PM   #14
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Speaking as an old geezer who's definately not a rap fan, its a bit unfair to expect us to want to spend a whole lot of time and money tracking down 'good' examples when pretty much all thats promoted to us are the bitches shaking their asses in the camera, and punks covered in blink flashing fistfuls of $100 bills and rapping about what bad-asses they are on MTV and BET.

Or maybe I'm just showing my age.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2008, 02:37 PM   #15
Nerdius Maximus
Fleet Captain

Cutter John wrote: View Post
Speaking as an old geezer who's definately not a rap fan, its a bit unfair to expect us to want to spend a whole lot of time and money tracking down 'good' examples when pretty much all thats promoted to us are the bitches shaking their asses in the camera, and punks covered in blink flashing fistfuls of $100 bills and rapping about what bad-asses they are on MTV and BET.

Or maybe I'm just showing my age.
That's cool. I just tossed this thread out there to see if there were any hip hop fans on the board.