RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,367
Posts: 5,356,207
Members: 24,625
Currently online: 681
Newest member: 3d gird

TrekToday headlines

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 12 2008, 08:50 AM   #31
Daedalus12
Rear Admiral
 
Daedalus12's Avatar
 
Location: South West France!
Re: Sony's Perceived Idiocy.

Outpost4 wrote: View Post
But it is their arrogance that has been their downfall. They are more self righteous than General Motors was in their heyday. They have taken some hits in the past few years and maybe a new corporate management style - an American now heads the company, very different for a Japanese firm - will get them to realise when their shit stinks, it really stinks.
Stringer is a naturalized US citizen but he was born in Cardiff and most likely still considers himself foremost as Welsh. A complete shift in corporate management style is totally unnecessary and most likely not going to happen.
__________________
"Bennett & Meyer are obviously the Ceti Eels introduced into the collective brain of Trekdom, leading to easy manipulation (TWOK), impaired cognitive functionality (TSFS), drooling (TVH), agonized death (TFF) and extended post-mortem twitching (TUC).
Daedalus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2008, 09:10 AM   #32
clint g
Admiral
 
Location: No where
Re: Sony's Perceived Idiocy.

I dont really get why people think the PS1 and PS2 were such great products. As far as I am concerned they were pieces of shit that would always break. Interestingly enough though, the PS3, what seems to be their least successful home console thus far, has proven to be their most reliable and well built product thus far. It's come as a shock to me since I've been burned by them so many times but it is very sturdy and very sleek. Its a shame that the only exclusive it has thats worth a damn is MGS4
__________________
It's nothing personal, just business
clint g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2008, 09:19 AM   #33
BigFoot
Admiral
 
BigFoot's Avatar
 
Location: Slovenia (EU)
Re: Sony's Perceived Idiocy.

^ To each his/her own, but I think there are quite a few really awesome exclusives on the PS3 (Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, Motorstorm, GT5: Prologue).
BigFoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2008, 09:49 AM   #34
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral
 
Jim Steele's Avatar
 
Location: Croydon
Re: Sony's Perceived Idiocy.

I've had 2 PS1s fail on me and my Wii exploded a month back, but my 360 never gave me any problems.

I guess I'm just weird.

BigFoot wrote:
GT5: Prologue
Not even Microsoft would get away with charging 20 quid for a glorified demo.
__________________
Ghost of TrekBBS past.

Last edited by Jim Steele; August 12 2008 at 09:59 AM.
Jim Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2008, 09:58 AM   #35
dragunzng
Rear Admiral
 
dragunzng's Avatar
 
Location: Ortigas, Philippines
View dragunzng's Twitter Profile
Re: Sony's Perceived Idiocy.

Daedalus12 wrote: View Post
Outpost4 wrote: View Post
But it is their arrogance that has been their downfall. They are more self righteous than General Motors was in their heyday. They have taken some hits in the past few years and maybe a new corporate management style - an American now heads the company, very different for a Japanese firm - will get them to realise when their shit stinks, it really stinks.
Stringer is a naturalized US citizen but he was born in Cardiff and most likely still considers himself foremost as Welsh. A complete shift in corporate management style is totally unnecessary and most likely not going to happen.
Whoopth, never knew he was Welsh.

As far as a complete shift in corporate management, I dunno about company-wide changes, but the gaming division's been shuffled quite a bit in the past 2-3 years.

BigFoot wrote: View Post
^ To each his/her own, but I think there are quite a few really awesome exclusives on the PS3 (Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, Motorstorm, GT5: Prologue).
Not to mention the awesome stuff on PSN, Warhawk, Q4B, Siren, SSHD, Eden, Monsters. The whole idea that the PS3 has no worthwhile exclusives is about as valid an argument as "PSP has no games", it's rhetoric from a bygone era.

Jim Steele wrote: View Post
I've had 2 PS1s fail on me and my Wii exploded a month back, but my 360 never game me any problems.
Not even Microsoft would get away with charging 20 quid for a glorified demo.
Prologue is the equivalent of a PSN game like Warhawk or Siren, it's got online rankings and online play as well as a dedicated Motorsports channel, 76 cars and 6 tracks with 12 layouts... how is this in any way a demo? It's got more content than most full priced racers.
__________________
I'm making a comic called Outcasts of Jupiter - Check it out!
dragunzng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2008, 10:03 AM   #36
BigFoot
Admiral
 
BigFoot's Avatar
 
Location: Slovenia (EU)
Re: Sony's Perceived Idiocy.

^ Oh yeah, Eden totally kicks ass.

Jim Steele wrote: View Post
BigFoot wrote:
GT5: Prologue
Not even Microsoft would get away with charging 20 quid for a glorified demo.
In a way I agree with you. But OTOH GT5:P is more then just a demo. You get a decent amount of tracks and cars and there's a decent MP.

I do think they should have some sort of a discount on GT5 to people that bought GT5:P though (even though I know it's never gonna happen).
BigFoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2008, 10:09 AM   #37
dragunzng
Rear Admiral
 
dragunzng's Avatar
 
Location: Ortigas, Philippines
View dragunzng's Twitter Profile
Re: Sony's Perceived Idiocy.

BigFoot wrote: View Post
^ Oh yeah, Eden totally kicks ass.

I do think they should have some sort of a discount on GT5 to people that bought GT5:P though (even though I know it's never gonna happen).
Agreed, I feel what should happen is that owners of GT5P should be able to just pay to update their game to full GT5 status via the PSN store, or else buy an update disc at a reduced price.
__________________
I'm making a comic called Outcasts of Jupiter - Check it out!
dragunzng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2008, 10:19 AM   #38
Rii
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Adelaide
Re: Sony's Perceived Idiocy.

Jim Steele wrote: View Post
my Wii exploded a month back
Throwing it out the window doesn't count as a hardware failure.
Rii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2008, 10:23 AM   #39
Hermiod
Admiral
 
Hermiod's Avatar
 
Re: Sony's Perceived Idiocy.

Rii wrote: View Post
Jim Steele wrote: View Post
my Wii exploded a month back
Throwing it out the window doesn't count as a hardware failure.
I thought that was one of Nintendo's new innovative control methods.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2008, 10:48 AM   #40
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral
 
Jim Steele's Avatar
 
Location: Croydon
Re: Sony's Perceived Idiocy.

Rii wrote: View Post
Jim Steele wrote: View Post
my Wii exploded a month back
Throwing it out the window doesn't count as a hardware failure.


If my wife wasn't so obsessed with Wii Fit, I'd have sold the blasted thing months ago.

As a gaming platform it's turned out to be a spectacular waste of £200.
__________________
Ghost of TrekBBS past.
Jim Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2008, 11:09 AM   #41
clint g
Admiral
 
Location: No where
Re: Sony's Perceived Idiocy.

dragunzng wrote: View Post
Daedalus12 wrote: View Post
Outpost4 wrote: View Post
But it is their arrogance that has been their downfall. They are more self righteous than General Motors was in their heyday. They have taken some hits in the past few years and maybe a new corporate management style - an American now heads the company, very different for a Japanese firm - will get them to realise when their shit stinks, it really stinks.
Stringer is a naturalized US citizen but he was born in Cardiff and most likely still considers himself foremost as Welsh. A complete shift in corporate management style is totally unnecessary and most likely not going to happen.
Whoopth, never knew he was Welsh.

As far as a complete shift in corporate management, I dunno about company-wide changes, but the gaming division's been shuffled quite a bit in the past 2-3 years.

BigFoot wrote: View Post
^ To each his/her own, but I think there are quite a few really awesome exclusives on the PS3 (Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, Motorstorm, GT5: Prologue).
Not to mention the awesome stuff on PSN, Warhawk, Q4B, Siren, SSHD, Eden, Monsters. The whole idea that the PS3 has no worthwhile exclusives is about as valid an argument as "PSP has no games", it's rhetoric from a bygone era.

Jim Steele wrote: View Post
I've had 2 PS1s fail on me and my Wii exploded a month back, but my 360 never game me any problems.
Not even Microsoft would get away with charging 20 quid for a glorified demo.
Prologue is the equivalent of a PSN game like Warhawk or Siren, it's got online rankings and online play as well as a dedicated Motorsports channel, 76 cars and 6 tracks with 12 layouts... how is this in any way a demo? It's got more content than most full priced racers.
And again, I'd say not one of those games are that great. Sure they may be fun but when your console costs as much as a PS3 does they need to be a bit more than what the competition is offering. None of those games are enough to make me want to get a system so I'm going to stand by my statement and say it doesn't have any exclusives that are worth a damn.
__________________
It's nothing personal, just business
clint g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2008, 12:53 PM   #42
dragunzng
Rear Admiral
 
dragunzng's Avatar
 
Location: Ortigas, Philippines
View dragunzng's Twitter Profile
Re: Sony's Perceived Idiocy.

clint g wrote: View Post

And again, I'd say not one of those games are that great. Sure they may be fun but when your console costs as much as a PS3 does they need to be a bit more than what the competition is offering. None of those games are enough to make me want to get a system so I'm going to stand by my statement and say it doesn't have any exclusives that are worth a damn.
Certainly entitled to your opinion, as BigFoot stated, to each his/her own. Uncharted was worth the price of entry for me, not so much because of the game but because of the experience. In a similar manner Gears of War was worth the price of the 360 for me not cus of the game but because of the total experience.

*sigh* good times.
__________________
I'm making a comic called Outcasts of Jupiter - Check it out!
dragunzng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2008, 12:56 PM   #43
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral
 
Jim Steele's Avatar
 
Location: Croydon
Re: Sony's Perceived Idiocy.

I do kinda want a PS3, there are some cool things on the horizon like LBP, and there's the bluray player aspect. But the 360 game library isn't exactly leaving me wanting, quite the opposite actually.
__________________
Ghost of TrekBBS past.
Jim Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2008, 01:02 PM   #44
BigFoot
Admiral
 
BigFoot's Avatar
 
Location: Slovenia (EU)
Re: Sony's Perceived Idiocy.

dragunzng wrote: View Post
clint g wrote: View Post

And again, I'd say not one of those games are that great. Sure they may be fun but when your console costs as much as a PS3 does they need to be a bit more than what the competition is offering. None of those games are enough to make me want to get a system so I'm going to stand by my statement and say it doesn't have any exclusives that are worth a damn.
Certainly entitled to your opinion, as BigFoot stated, to each his/her own. Uncharted was worth the price of entry for me, not so much because of the game but because of the experience. In a similar manner Gears of War was worth the price of the 360 for me not cus of the game but because of the total experience.

*sigh* good times.
Yeah, Uncharted is a fun game. I got it when it was released and played it once. Then I didn't play until about a week ago when the Trophy patch was released. Since then I've played through it twice already and plan to do so again (on Crushing). And I have to admit I'm actually enjoying it more and more. It's just a ton of fun.
BigFoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2008, 02:21 PM   #45
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral
 
Rincewiend's Avatar
 
Location: .eu / .nl
Re: Sony's Perceived Idiocy.

clint g wrote: View Post
And again, I'd say not one of those games are that great. Sure they may be fun but when your console costs as much as a PS3 does they need to be a bit more than what the competition is offering. None of those games are enough to make me want to get a system so I'm going to stand by my statement and say it doesn't have any exclusives that are worth a damn.
That's my opinion on the Xbox360...
As dragunzng said, to each their own...
__________________
Don't trust atoms, they make up everything!
Rincewiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
sony

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.