RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,886
Posts: 5,329,822
Members: 24,557
Currently online: 526
Newest member: Mgroup Video

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Inquisition
By: Michelle on Jul 12

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 11 2008, 01:09 AM   #1
propita
Rear Admiral
 
Location: fresno, ca, us
I know I'm late, but Cloverfield questions SPOILERS (duh)

So I finally saw the flick, having bought the dvd.

In the extras, it's mentioned that this was a baby, screaming as it was lost. How is that to be determined just be watching the film itself?

Aside from the tanker getting tossed in the harbor and expository speculation, was there anything else to show/say that the thing came from the ocean and was of terrestrial origin?

What the heck were those remora-type things and did they make people explode? And was that "all" they did?

Or should I just watch it again with the commentary on?

Other than that, I thought the camera-work worked better than in Blair Witch. And it was pretty touching, discounting any literary license about choosing to go into the zone of danger. So only Lily lived out of the group, I assume?
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2008, 02:11 AM   #2
Brolan
Commodore
 
Brolan's Avatar
 
Location: Backwoods Minnesota
Re: I know I'm late, but Cloverfield questions SPOILERS (duh)

propita wrote: View Post
So I finally saw the flick, having bought the dvd.

In the extras, it's mentioned that this was a baby, screaming as it was lost. How is that to be determined just be watching the film itself?

Aside from the tanker getting tossed in the harbor and expository speculation, was there anything else to show/say that the thing came from the ocean and was of terrestrial origin?

What the heck were those remora-type things and did they make people explode? And was that "all" they did?

Or should I just watch it again with the commentary on?

Other than that, I thought the camera-work worked better than in Blair Witch. And it was pretty touching, discounting any literary license about choosing to go into the zone of danger. So only Lily lived out of the group, I assume?
I can only answer one of those questions. If you watch the very end of the movie, which is the part that wasn't taped over in the amusement park, you can see the creature "splash down" in the background.

I guess that it came from space was implied by that?
__________________
My use of revolutionary flags and symbols in no way endorses the group of morons known as The Tea Party
Brolan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2008, 02:33 AM   #3
Cutter John
Rear Admiral
 
Cutter John's Avatar
 
Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, just south of Seattle.
Re: I know I'm late, but Cloverfield questions SPOILERS (duh)

propita wrote: View Post
So I finally saw the flick, having bought the dvd.

In the extras, it's mentioned that this was a baby, screaming as it was lost. How is that to be determined just be watching the film itself?
Well, it wasn't really that important to the film. Just an interesting little side note from the production team.


What the heck were those remora-type things and did they make people explode? And was that "all" they did?
Since the first time we saw them was when the creature was rubbing them off against a building, I'm guessing they were parasites. The exploding could've been the result of a desease they were carrying, or a chemical they were carrying to help them feed, like the anti-clotting agent carried in some animals saliva (vampire bats, mosquits, ticks, I forget which) that reacted badly with human biology.

[/quote]
__________________
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2008, 04:41 AM   #4
HortaVorta
Commodore
 
HortaVorta's Avatar
 
Location: Orion Arm (coreward side)
Re: I know I'm late, but Cloverfield questions SPOILERS (duh)

Cutter John wrote: View Post

Since the first time we saw them was when the creature was rubbing them off against a building, I'm guessing they were parasites. The exploding could've been the result of a desease they were carrying, or a chemical they were carrying to help them feed, like the anti-clotting agent carried in some animals saliva (vampire bats, mosquits, ticks, I forget which) that reacted badly with human biology.
FWIW, I recall one source that said this is indeed the case. They are parasites with an anti-coagulant designed to work on a host from a high-pressure, deep-sea environment. Thus this same chemical causes explosive hemorraging in biologically flimsy humans.
__________________
"The world is my country, science my religion." -Christiaan Huygens, 1682
HortaVorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2008, 03:26 PM   #5
Jax
Admiral
 
Jax's Avatar
 
Location: England - "The Home of Football"
Re: I know I'm late, but Cloverfield questions SPOILERS (duh)

Saw the movie several weeks ago and it was decent but too be honest the ending was a little bit predictable (why did the heli pilot not turn away from the creature) and the camera thing got annoying after a whille.

Great SFX though (3 out of 5 on facebook I gave it)
__________________
World Cup Thread 2014
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2008, 09:27 PM   #6
captcalhoun
Admiral
 
Location: everywhere
Re: I know I'm late, but Cloverfield questions SPOILERS (duh)

actually, it's supposed to come from the ocean depths and was disturbed by a satellite or something that crashed into the see, which is supposedly what's seen in the background.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2008, 10:04 PM   #7
LitmusDragon
Commodore
 
LitmusDragon's Avatar
 
Location: The Barmuda Triangle
Re: I know I'm late, but Cloverfield questions SPOILERS (duh)

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
actually, it's supposed to come from the ocean depths and was disturbed by a satellite or something that crashed into the see, which is supposedly what's seen in the background.
This is the official explanation. I personally think the creature itself splashing down works better, and "feels" more correct with the movie. How plausible is it that a terrestrial land-walking creature would evolve in the deep ocean? Not at all, imo.
LitmusDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
cloverfield, movies

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.