Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Which show do you prefer?
Buffy: The Vampire Slayer 38 45.78%
Angel: The series 45 54.22%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 10 2008, 03:25 PM   #16
Forbin
Admiral

Re: Buffy or Angel?

They both became difficult to watch in their last season or two. Personally, I found Angel fell apart more than Buffy, and was harder to watch. Buffy's last season was pretty bad, but still had some fun moments. Angel's last was just unbearable. Buffy was more fun overall, throughout its run.
Forbin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 03:32 PM   #17
Gaius Baltar
Commander

I have to agree that angel was more consistent, better written and darker apart from Connor. I found his character even more annoying than dawn. However i still voted for Buffy. It was the show i grew up watching so i have a better connection with the characters and so many found memories. It will always be my favourite show.
Gaius Baltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 03:45 PM   #18
acs12798
Captain

I would also like to add, the while I voted Angel, I probably liked seasons 1 through 3 of Buffy more than either show stand alone. My vote was kind of season 4-7 of Buffy versus Angel, since Angel was on Buffy for seasons 1 through 3. As a whole, I did prefer Angel because I really didn't like Buffy nearly as much after he left. I would however, take season 1-3 of Buffy over Angel.

I actually just finished watching Buffy and Angel for the first time a couple months ago. And I remember that I would have to force myself to stop watching Angel episodes so Buffy would keep up. I didn't have that problem the other way around. Thats what I am really basing my vote upon too. Admittedly Buffy was less serialized than Angel which probably let into the not needing to the episode, but I just remember being more excited to keep watching Angel.
acs12798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 03:52 PM   #19
Jenee
Dancing Goddess

As far as fantasy goes... Angel was a much more likely storyline. Buffy? come on! A cheerleader? and the whole, 'when one dies another wakes up' - and that whole storyline...

Of course, the whole ...(what was her name?) Zoe storyline wasn't much better. the conner storyline had potential till he and ...what's her name ...

You know, everything was fine until that season, then it went to hell.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Jenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 04:20 PM   #20
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Jenee wrote: View Post
Buffy? come on! A cheerleader?
Former cheerleader. And that was kinda the whole point of the premise.....tiny blonde cheerleader goes into dark alley, kicks monster ass. Joss Whedon has made a career out of taking the expected and doing the exact opposite.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 04:51 PM   #21
crouteru
Captain

Angel is awesome, but I had to vote for Buffy for beginning a new and unique fantasy universe. I also liked Joss Whedon's idea of turning the dumb blonde in distress cliche on it's head.
crouteru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 04:59 PM   #22
Jenee
Dancing Goddess

Lindley wrote: View Post
Jenee wrote: View Post
Buffy? come on! A cheerleader?
Former cheerleader. And that was kinda the whole point of the premise.....tiny blonde cheerleader goes into dark alley, kicks monster ass. Joss Whedon has made a career out of taking the expected and doing the exact opposite.
Oh, you're right about that. and crouteru is correct about the originality of the storyline - you gotta give him that. I saw the movie way back when and like it. But, as an ongoing storyline... I didn't even see the series until I'd seen Angel on reruns up through season 2. Then got pregnant and had to stay in bed for a month. That's when I borrowed the series from my sister-in-law.

However, as an ongoing storyline, Angel wins out. (minus the last two seasons, of course)

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Jenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 06:07 PM   #23
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

That's odd, I thought the consensus was that Angel's last season was its strongest.
Old August 10 2008, 06:51 PM   #24
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Angel season 5 is great. Wasn't that big a fan of season 4, though. I actually would have been interested in seeing more of non-psycho Connor had there been a season 6.

I heard Oz was supposed to show up again in year 6. Shame....
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 07:39 PM   #25
judge alba
senior street judge

voted for buffy couldnt get into angel for some reason it just bored me even though they arte pretty much the same kind of while i could get into buffy it was more funnier
Firm as a mountain.
Strike as powerful as thunder.
judge alba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 07:42 PM   #26
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
That's odd, I thought the consensus was that Angel's last season was its strongest.
The majority opinion I've seen is more along the lines of "season 4 is crap, season 5 is good but not as good as the first three" which is about right.
Old August 10 2008, 08:39 PM   #27
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

This is a difficult question. My head says Angel but my heart says Buffy.

I love Buffy for loads of reasons - I love the whole concept of the Buffyverse as it came to be in Buffy. I love the idea of the blonde walking into the alley with the threatening man and it being the blonde who walks out. I love the characters of Spike and Dru and their relationship, especially when they were first introduced. I love the guardianship of Giles watching over the younger characters. And I love the relationship between Buffy and Angel, and between Spike and Buffy. It's not because I'm a particular shipper or think there is something "destined" about either of the relationships, I just love the kind of the blonde girl fucking the vampire. So, I love Buffy for its earthy, physicality.

Angel is more restrained, I feel. For a start we don't see Angel in gameface even very often. They could have made a whole lot between him and various women, and yet they didn't. I like Angel. I appeciate it. Buffy I love.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 10:12 PM   #28
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Season 4 is actually my favourite season of Angel. If you study the arc plot yes it is bullshit and makes no sense really, but that's mainly due to Charisma's pregnncy messing up their plans, and I don't really care anyways. For general consistency of episode quality it only falls under Buffy Season 3 IMO. Everything from Spin The Bottle to Orpheus is brilliant- Angelus, The Beast, Faith, Badass Wes, Rain of Fire, Lilah etc, I had many a fangasm when it first aired

Lindley wrote: View Post
I actually would have been interested in seeing more of non-psycho Connor had there been a season 6.
There is. Read Angel: After The Fall (first TPB of #1-5 is out now) Connor is an awesome kickass demon fighter now he's sorted his head out. Great story of what happened to him after Not Fade Away in #6 & 7
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 10:23 PM   #29
ZERO_of_ZERO
Fleet Captain

Always Buffy.
ZERO_of_ZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 11:18 PM   #30
Skywalker
Admiral

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
The majority opinion I've seen is more along the lines of "season 4 is crap, season 5 is good but not as good as the first three" which is about right.
The same thing happened with Buffy, strangely enough.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote