Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old August 8 2008, 03:05 PM   #16
King Moonracer
Vice Admiral

Re: what does Star Trek food taste like?

I always imagined Leola Root to be more like turnips.
Old August 8 2008, 05:52 PM   #17
Fifth Dimension
Ensign

AdmiralGarak wrote: View Post
Hasperat's probably more of an Italian-American dish. Something akin to a hot pepper cheese pepperoni roll. Minus the pepperoni.

Um, did you even watch Deep Space Nine? In the Season Six opening arc, in one of the most important episodes, Ziyal makes a souffle out of hasperat. Also, in "Wrongs Darker than..." when Meru and Nerys are taken to Terok Nor and given food, hasperat is on the table and I believe it looks more like a cream type thing.

So sorry, I don't think your analogy works. I've never even heard of making a souffle out of a hot pepper cheese roll.
Fifth Dimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2008, 03:55 AM   #18
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

^Since they haven't invented Smell-O-Vision yet, this is all conjecture and fantasy... so lighten up and have fun with it!
Unless, that is, you have actually BEEN to Bajor...

I say if you don't know what it tastes like, it must taste like chicken!
Old August 9 2008, 12:33 PM   #19
AdmiralGarak
Rear Admiral

Fifth Dimension wrote: View Post
Hasperat's probably more of an Italian-American dish. Something akin to a hot pepper cheese pepperoni roll. Minus the pepperoni.

Um, did you even watch Deep Space Nine? In the Season Six opening arc, in one of the most important episodes, Ziyal makes a souffle out of hasperat. Also, in "Wrongs Darker than..." when Meru and Nerys are taken to Terok Nor and given food, hasperat is on the table and I believe it looks more like a cream type thing.

So sorry, I don't think your analogy works. I've never even heard of making a souffle out of a hot pepper cheese roll.
Hasperat looks like a burrito. It's lterally just dough with spices cooked in. The prop was a flour tortilla with cream cheese and peppers (though quite bland and not tasting anything like what real hasperat would.)

The souffle was probably made with hasperat spices. The cream was either a mistake (yours or the prop department's) or it was the uncooked ingredients.

Memory Alpha. They even have a damn picture of it looking very burritoish.

Last edited by AdmiralGarak; August 9 2008 at 12:40 PM.
AdmiralGarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2008, 06:39 PM   #20
CaptainSerek
Commander

View CaptainSerek's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to CaptainSerek Send a message via AIM to CaptainSerek Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to CaptainSerek Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainSerek

There is also the debate of replicated food versus fresh food. Fresh tends to be preferred although replicated is more practical.
Old August 9 2008, 07:03 PM   #21
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

Fifth Dimension wrote: View Post

I always thought that hasperat was the Bajoran hamburger.
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2008, 08:22 PM   #22
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

bryce wrote: View Post

I wonder what Tribble tastes like?
Damn, you got me. That tastes like chicken.

The stuff about replicated food tasting better is psychological. Starfleet has done extensive blind taste testing. There is no difference, even for tomatoes.

Gagh tastes like all sorts of stuff, but all of it is nasty.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2008, 08:56 PM   #23
Terengo
Captain

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that kanar was based on fish, so it would probably be pretty nasty.

Hasperat is supposed to be very spicy.

As for replicated food, one of my pet theories is that a replicator is a stripped-down version of the transporter, using stored patterns instead of an object to transport, and most importantly lacking a Heisenberg Compensator. So foods that are replicated would be "stripped-down" versions and somehow lack the zing of real food.
Old August 9 2008, 09:57 PM   #24
AdmiralGarak
Rear Admiral

Terengo wrote: View Post
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that kanar was based on fish, so it would probably be pretty nasty.
I suspect that whoever wrote that confused kanar (Cardassian booze) with hot fish juice (Cardassian breakfast).
AdmiralGarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2008, 10:22 PM   #25
drasche
Captain

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
bryce wrote: View Post
I wonder what Tribble tastes like?
Damn, you got me. That tastes like chicken.

The stuff about replicated food tasting better is psychological. Starfleet has done extensive blind taste testing. There is no difference, even for tomatoes.

Gagh tastes like all sorts of stuff, but all of it is nasty.
And it is a weird sensation the first time you feel it move in your stomach (sorry, couldn't resist)
Old August 10 2008, 01:13 AM   #26
Jeri
Vice Admiral

Nice idea for a thread. I was watching ENT: Doctor's Orders today, wherein at one point Phlox goes to the galley for a sandwich, pulls out a jar from the fridge, and eats something he calls a leech.

He tells Porthos that if he wants one, it will clean out his digestive tract; so I'm not sure if it's food or medicine. But it looks like black chanterelle mushrooms, and that's what I thought it tasted like.

Old August 10 2008, 07:13 PM   #27
Red Ranger
Admiral

Hey, something does taste like chicken in ST! After all, in Tomorrow is Yesterday, when Mr. Kyle asks the hapless Air Force sergeant what he wants to eat, he jokingly asks for chicken soup. Kyle gets it for him, and he's astonished that it is chicken soup! So there! -- RR

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman

Last edited by Red Reindeer; August 10 2008 at 08:48 PM.
Red Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 09:04 PM   #28
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Terengo wrote: View Post
You sure that's not fish juice you're thinking of? (The favorite Cardassian breakfast beverage.)

Or maybe kanar has a fish head at the bottom of the bottle (which we've never seen thanks to how thick it is) kinda like tequila has a worm.

Hasperat...I've always imagined that like jalapeño or habanera or something like that.

Now the one I've always wondered about is yamok sauce. For some reason I always think of something like sweet-and-sour sauce, or maybe teriyaki. Definitely something that would evoke Asian cuisine. Hard to understand why Quark had so much difficulty unloading the stuff, in the latter case...in the former, it might make more sense.
Nerys Ghemor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 10:01 PM   #29
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Hasperat = spicy but not hot like jalepenos.

Yamok sauce = funky mayonnaise.

Plomeek soup = too bland for human tastebuds to taste like anything much...maybe a slight celery flavor.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2008, 12:07 AM   #30
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Oooh...for plomeek soup, maybe that soup you get at the hibachi restaurant before your meal.

And your idea for yamok sauce...EW, dang!! That puts kim chee to shame! I think I'll stick with the "sweet-and-sour sauce" idea, for my own purposes...

(No offense to anyone here who likes kim chee. Personal preference!!)
Nerys Ghemor is offline   Reply With Quote