Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 8 2008, 10:52 PM   #31
Brolan
Commodore

Re: XXIX Olympic games coverage

Timewalker wrote: View Post
Brolan wrote: View Post
Steven wrote: View Post
Maybe you should ask your cable/satellite provider to carry Canadian channels? It's on CBC right now and looking pretty good. Sadly, I have to go to work in a few minutes.
NBC has an iron-clad contract with the Olympic games that restricts all Olympic coverage in the US to them. You can't even legally stream video to the US of the Olympic games.

I've thought about going up to the Canadian border to see the CBC Olympics coverage but it just isn't practical for two weeks.
Try http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/livevideo/ You can adjust the schedule for your own time zone.

Titus Andronicus wrote: View Post
I really wish they would've shown the Opening Ceremonies live....
I saw them live on CBC. The Canadian athletes got a nice reception from the crowd.

It will be interesting to see how the US athletes are greeted. I wouldn't be surprised if we were cheered or booed.
Old August 8 2008, 11:06 PM   #32
Brolan
Commodore

Drone36929 wrote: View Post
I hate NBC and their time-delayed, over-produced, warm & fuzzy, US-centric coverage.
I think that has been the case for a long time. When I was growing up, I was under the mistaken impression that NBC (or whichever network was doing the coverage) hosted the Olympics and everything revolved around the U.S. athletes.
I remember watching the Olympics as a kid in the '60s and '70s. Minimal intrusion by the sportscasters and they showed everyone who competed. Not just the US athletes and a few elite foreigners.

I always thought the NBC coverage should called the "US Olympic coverage *"

* 'and a few people from unimportant countries'
Old August 8 2008, 11:09 PM   #33
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Darnitall. I'm sorry the link doesn't work for you, Brolan.

But not to worry -- the U.S. athletes were not booed. That is an inexcusably rude thing to do at the Olympics, and the only time I can think of when it does happen is if the audience takes extreme exception to the way an event is judged or an athlete shows extremely poor sportsmanship.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2008, 11:37 PM   #34
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Timewalker wrote: View Post
NBC has an iron-clad contract with the Olympic games that restricts all Olympic coverage in the US to them. You can't even legally stream video to the US of the Olympic games.

I've thought about going up to the Canadian border to see the CBC Olympics coverage but it just isn't practical for two weeks.
Try http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/livevideo/ You can adjust the schedule for your own time zone.

Titus Andronicus wrote: View Post
I really wish they would've shown the Opening Ceremonies live....
I saw them live on CBC. The Canadian athletes got a nice reception from the crowd.

I tried your link but it doesn't work for me. They can id your country from your IP address and I don't think they are allowed to stream to the US.

Maybe someone else from the US can confirm or deny this?

Yes, you need an anonymizer or a proxy server. Every country is doing this, unfortunately.

Also, there's so much coverage about this fencer who won gold for China in Los Angeles but is not fencing for Canada. I'm sure there's a little cheering for that person.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2008, 11:47 PM   #35
anais
Captain

I read somewhere that Putin and the russian athletes were booed.
anais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2008, 12:11 AM   #36
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

Pretty epic opening ceremony in lack for better words! Loved that the Swedish team had nice China-style clothes, the women looked especially hot in the Chinadresses But damn did they pick the most Swedishlooking guy to hold the flag Me and sis kept making jibes whenever we could about China and their politics though.

Looking forward to seeing the olympics, even though it will be odd since the swimming, one the sports I really care about, will be broadcast EARLY around here since US networks (I can only assume that means NBC) had demanded that it be held at a time that worked for the US audience.
Old August 9 2008, 01:20 AM   #37
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

Yep, the IOC allowed NBC to rearrange the swimming schedule so that all finals are being held in US prime time. So much for the vaunted Olympic spirit; it can be bought by anyone with enough money, apparently.

What I saw of the opening ceremony looked fabulous, but I'm not sure about the Australian team's outfits. Hopefully channel 7's coverage won't be as embarrassing as usual...yeah, right.
Old August 9 2008, 01:21 AM   #38
Steven
Admiral

You know, I really wish there was a way to shut up the damn commentators and listen to what's actually going on.
Old August 9 2008, 01:30 AM   #39
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Orac Zen wrote: View Post
Yep, the IOC allowed NBC to rearrange the swimming schedule so that all finals are being held in US prime time. So much for the vaunted Olympic spirit; it can be bought by anyone with enough money, apparently.

What I saw of the opening ceremony looked fabulous, but I'm not sure about the Australian team's outfits. Hopefully channel 7's coverage won't be as embarrassing as usual...yeah, right.
It probably helps that many of the sponsors are American as well.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
Old August 9 2008, 01:36 AM   #40
Neeka Keet
Admiral

Steven wrote: View Post
You know, I really wish there was a way to shut up the damn commentators and listen to what's actually going on.
Indeed, blah blah blah. I would prefer subtitles explaining the symbolism and not a couple of wankers going on about stuff they probably are reading from a fucking script.

P.S. The Chinese don't do anything small. I'm utterly impressed.
Old August 9 2008, 02:19 AM   #41
Brolan
Commodore

With all the scandals involving the IOC it's clear they are all about bribes and money.
Old August 9 2008, 02:20 AM   #42
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

Emher wrote: View Post
Looking forward to seeing the olympics, even though it will be odd since the swimming, one the sports I really care about, will be broadcast EARLY around here since US networks (I can only assume that means NBC) had demanded that it be held at a time that worked for the US audience.
Agreed. Hopefully this never happens again, as the swimming finals should be at night.

firehawk12 wrote: View Post
So what if there are lots of American sponsors. Hopefully this is only an one off situation.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2008, 02:38 AM   #43
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

firehawk12 wrote: View Post
And that makes it okay...how? It's a world event; it's not held for the convenience of one country, regardless of how much money they tip into people's pockets.

With all the scandals involving the IOC it's clear they are all about bribes and money.
Oh, absolutely, but even the IOC isn't usually quite this blatant.
Old August 9 2008, 02:48 AM   #44
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Realistically, would the Olympics even exist if it weren't for the sponsors?
I'm sure Coke and MacDonalds has so much money tied to this it'd make my head spin.

Old August 9 2008, 02:53 AM   #45
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

For the love of god the Olympics have barely started and people can't stop complaining. Boo fucking hoo.
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote