Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old August 8 2008, 02:01 AM   #61
Skittles
Ensign

Re: Where have all the ebooks gone?

Thrawn wrote: View Post
Hey, I know this is off-topic, but I have a really random question about the Kindle. Does it tell you how many pages the book you're reading has (based on your chosen text size, obviously) and which page you're on while you're reading? Thanks.
Enh, I don't care about the off-topicness.

The Kindle doesn't use pages, since the font size is user-selectable and that affects the pagination. So instead, each "page" you see on screen has a Location reference at the bottom. Right now, for instance, I'm on location 2094 through 2099 of Dawn of the Eagles.

That way, I can go to any of my friends with a Kindle and say "Check out location 1138 in this book I'm reading" and when they load the book and choose "Go to Location 1138", it will jump to the same spot I'm at.

In the "Go to Location" menu, it shows you how many locations there are, so you can get an idea of how far you are in the book, and how much you have left to read.

There's also a progress bar at the bottom of the page to show you how far you've read through the eBook. It's a small bar, so it doesn't get in the way or distract you from reading.

Oh, and nice to meet a fellow Browncoat, by the way.
Skittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2008, 02:13 AM   #62
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Skittles wrote: View Post
Hey, I know this is off-topic, but I have a really random question about the Kindle. Does it tell you how many pages the book you're reading has (based on your chosen text size, obviously) and which page you're on while you're reading? Thanks.
Enh, I don't care about the off-topicness.

The Kindle doesn't use pages, since the font size is user-selectable and that affects the pagination. So instead, each "page" you see on screen has a Location reference at the bottom. Right now, for instance, I'm on location 2094 through 2099 of Dawn of the Eagles.

That way, I can go to any of my friends with a Kindle and say "Check out location 1138 in this book I'm reading" and when they load the book and choose "Go to Location 1138", it will jump to the same spot I'm at.

In the "Go to Location" menu, it shows you how many locations there are, so you can get an idea of how far you are in the book, and how much you have left to read.

There's also a progress bar at the bottom of the page to show you how far you've read through the eBook. It's a small bar, so it doesn't get in the way or distract you from reading.

Oh, and nice to meet a fellow Browncoat, by the way.
Very cool. And your friend would have to have text formatted the same size to get the same location numbers, or are they independent of size?

And thanks
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2008, 02:17 AM   #63
Skittles
Ensign

Very cool. And your friend would have to have text formatted the same size to get the same location numbers, or are they independent of size?

And thanks
They're independent of size. The location just refers to a certain page/sentence of the book, so that you always have a 'true' indicator of where you are within the book, no matter what your font size is.
Skittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2008, 02:43 AM   #64
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Skittles wrote: View Post
They're independent of size. The location just refers to a certain page/sentence of the book, so that you always have a 'true' indicator of where you are within the book, no matter what your font size is.
Much appreciated.

In general, I feel like I'm going to want a Kindle or something similar pretty soon (so I'm doing the research on them), but with the delays discussed in this thread and a few other minor issues, I think I'll wait a few more months.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2008, 03:21 PM   #65
Brynthe2
Commander

Much appreciated.

In general, I feel like I'm going to want a Kindle or something similar pretty soon (so I'm doing the research on them), but with the delays discussed in this thread and a few other minor issues, I think I'll wait a few more months.
Another thing to consider when looking at the Kindle will be what other kinds of books you like to read. I've found www.manybooks.net to be a great source for Kindle books that are free. They are mostly Project Gutenberg books that are no longer under copyright, and are now available to the public for free. Manybooks has converted the majority of them into Kindle versions that you can download to your computer and transfer to the Kindle, or you can go to their portable website mnybks.net and download the Kindle versions directly to the unit itself, using the Kindle's mini web browser. Obviously, these are older books, but if you're interested in books by Dumas, Lovecraft, Jules Verne, Lewis Carroll, Arthur Conan Doyle, etc. its a great source for Kindle books.

Also, in regards to .pdf files, I've had great success converting non-protected .pdf's to Word (.doc) format, transferring them and reading them on the Kindle.

As for the delays, I've only had problems with Star Trek books and that has been just recently. The majority of other books I read seem to come out around the same time as their paper counterparts, for the Kindle.
Brynthe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2008, 01:49 PM   #66
JWolf
Commodore

Deano2099 wrote: View Post
For New Frontier the hardback of Stone and Anvil comes with a CD with electronic versions of all the previous books too.
But the problem is that they come in PDF. Not a good format for fiction reading.
Old August 17 2008, 01:52 PM   #67
JWolf
Commodore

Brynthe2 wrote: View Post

Much appreciated.

Another thing to consider when looking at the Kindle will be what other kinds of books you like to read. I've found www.manybooks.net to be a great source for Kindle books that are free. They are mostly Project Gutenberg books that are no longer under copyright, and are now available to the public for free. Manybooks has converted the majority of them into Kindle versions that you can download to your computer and transfer to the Kindle, or you can go to their portable website mnybks.net and download the Kindle versions directly to the unit itself, using the Kindle's mini web browser. Obviously, these are older books, but if you're interested in books by Dumas, Lovecraft, Jules Verne, Lewis Carroll, Arthur Conan Doyle, etc. its a great source for Kindle books.
A really really good source of free eBooks for the Sony Reader line (500/505), Kindle, and any other device that reads Mobipocket format is MobileRead http://www.mobileread.com/forums/ because people there have been posting lots of public domain eBooks and freely available eBooks. A lot nicer formatted then the ones Manybooks gives you. There is even one Star Trek eBook available for free.
Old August 17 2008, 08:18 PM   #68
ATimson
Rear Admiral

JWolf wrote: View Post
But the problem is that they come in PDF. Not a good format for fiction reading.
But they come without DRM, so you can convert them to other formats.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2008, 02:32 PM   #69
JWolf
Commodore

ATimson wrote: View Post
But they come without DRM, so you can convert them to other formats.
Converting from PDF to something else is not as easy as it seems. Not even using Adobe Acrobat Pro gives perfect conversion results.
Old August 20 2008, 02:55 PM   #70
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Converting from PDF to something else is not as easy as it seems. Not even using Adobe Acrobat Pro gives perfect conversion results.
Oh, I know. But it usually gives "good enough" results, especially combined with a few choice search/replaces to strip out the extra line breaks.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2008, 09:49 PM   #71
Brynthe2
Commander

A really really good source of free eBooks for the Sony Reader line (500/505), Kindle, and any other device that reads Mobipocket format is MobileRead http://www.mobileread.com/forums/ because people there have been posting lots of public domain eBooks and freely available eBooks. A lot nicer formatted then the ones Manybooks gives you. There is even one Star Trek eBook available for free.
Good to know JWolf, I'm always happy to find new sources of reading material for the Kindle, especially if they're free.
Brynthe2 is offline   Reply With Quote