RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,686
Members: 24,830
Currently online: 422
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 7 2008, 08:03 PM   #76
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: So is the pressure on Superman?

Cary L. Brown wrote: View Post
No movie is better than a bad movie... IMHO.
Agreed. Does anyone think that the Superman series is any better because of The Quest for Peace or that the Batman series is any the richer for Batman & Robin (etc, etc).
Old August 7 2008, 08:47 PM   #77
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
If Superman slips back to 2012 then I think they'll go with a new cast and director and start from scratch.
I've been thinking that is what is needed for the unlikely 2010 film that many kept insisting was going to happen. By a 2012 release date you'd think they would restart ala Hulk.

davejames wrote: View Post
Yeah I definitely think Nolan has earned the right now to make the next Batman in his own time and on his own terms. And considering how hard a followup to TDK will be, he'll probably NEED all that time.
And on the other side of the dual coin I think its justifiable to allow a solid 3-4 years between the next, hopefully Nolan helmed, Batman film. It gives this one ample time to be absorbed on DVD while also being recent enough still to have the fanbase(general and rabid) eager for the follow-up.

Not so convinced anyone other than the rabid Supes fanbase wants a Returns themed sequel so soon.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2008, 08:55 PM   #78
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Didn't Nolan make The Prestige before he started casting and production on The Dark Knight anyways? I'm sure that he would want at least a year break before going back at it.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2008, 11:21 PM   #79
3D Master
Rear Admiral

Galactus wrote: View Post
Like I said I haven't read the new Thor, or much of comics lately but I thought Sentry was suppose to be the most powerful hero on Earth for Marvel now.
No, actually, the most powerful hero on Earth, (and just about the entire universe) is Squirrel Girl.
3D Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2008, 11:45 PM   #80
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Didn't Nolan make The Prestige before he started casting and production on The Dark Knight anyways? I'm sure that he would want at least a year break before going back at it.
Yes, he made The Prestige between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Another three-year break between Batman films should be sufficient for him to recharge, maybe make another non-Batman film in the meantime, and then deliver the next sequel. All things being equal, summer 2011 is highly likely to see next, and likely final, Nolan Batman film.
Old August 8 2008, 05:11 AM   #81
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I'm expecting another two or three year pause and another non Batman Nolan picture before we see the third and final Nolan film. I think he's only going to make three as well. What is his contract situation? I think I remember reading waaaaay back last summer in the Justice League thread someone saying that Christian Bale had a three picture deal with Warner Bros? Was that three BATMAN pictures or three Warner Bros movies?

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2008, 05:37 AM   #82
Bad Bishop
Vice Admiral

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
Returning to the original topic, can another Superman film start filming in early 2009 and still make it onto the Summer 2010 schedule?
Then the ball needs to get rolling. I don't see another Superman film making it to 2010 with Bryan Singer as director; he is knee-deep in post-production on Valkryie, and still re-shooting some scenes or having recently shot them.

The film isn't due until 2009 and I don't think Singer will want to primarily focus his efforts on another project like Superman until he is done with his current one.

2011 might be feasible.
I don't think 2010 is looking likely either. And Warners will presumably want to get the next Nolan/Bale Batman film out in the summer of 2011, and I don't see them releasing a Superman film in the same year (unless they gave it a Christmas release - although I don't think they'd do so). If Superman slips back to 2012 then I think they'll go with a new cast and director and start from scratch.
I pray it doesn't come to that.

I think that producing a new Superman film should be easier, not harder, now that all parties have had the experience of Superman Returns. I hope the remainder of 2008 will bring some positive developments. I want the studio to hold on to the cast of SR. I certainly don't want Brandon Routh to become the George Lazenby of the film franchise.
Old August 8 2008, 06:21 AM   #83
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
JacksonArcher wrote: View Post

Then the ball needs to get rolling. I don't see another Superman film making it to 2010 with Bryan Singer as director; he is knee-deep in post-production on Valkryie, and still re-shooting some scenes or having recently shot them.

The film isn't due until 2009 and I don't think Singer will want to primarily focus his efforts on another project like Superman until he is done with his current one.

2011 might be feasible.
I don't think 2010 is looking likely either. And Warners will presumably want to get the next Nolan/Bale Batman film out in the summer of 2011, and I don't see them releasing a Superman film in the same year (unless they gave it a Christmas release - although I don't think they'd do so). If Superman slips back to 2012 then I think they'll go with a new cast and director and start from scratch.
I pray it doesn't come to that.

I think that producing a new Superman film should be easier, not harder, now that all parties have had the experience of Superman Returns. I hope the remainder of 2008 will bring some positive developments. I want the studio to hold on to the cast of SR. I certainly don't want Brandon Routh to become the George Lazenby of the film franchise.
I would tend to agree. The cast & creative crew is for the most part in place. The world is pretty much established. Re-figuring that out would just add more time for the development of the film. This is in many ways a Spider-Man 2 or Iron Man 2 situation where the world is established so if you wanted to do the movie in less than two years you conceivably, hopefully, could.
Old August 8 2008, 12:28 PM   #84
dragunzng
Rear Admiral

View dragunzng's Twitter Profile

Frikkin' Superman, I mean seriously. I can't believe we've heard NOTHING.
Old August 8 2008, 12:58 PM   #85
Dream
Admiral

dragunzng wrote: View Post
Frikkin' Superman, I mean seriously. I can't believe we've heard NOTHING.
At least Warners has been doing a good job with Batman!
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2008, 11:11 PM   #86
Galactus
Rear Admiral

It is Superman, what is to develop? If there was one character just about everyone in the civilized world knows, then it is Superman. That is why it is so baffling that they messed it up the first time and it took years do even get that done.

The only problem with doing a Superman movie is that the people that would make the movie are those type of people that try to relate to Superman instead of just excepting who he is. They either can't believe someone like Superman could exist or even if he does they don't buy into what he represents.

If we get Superman back to fighting for truth, tolerance and justice then all will be well. I can just hope.
Old August 9 2008, 12:02 AM   #87
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Galactus wrote: View Post
The only problem with doing a Superman movie is that the people that would make the movie are those type of people that try to relate to Superman instead of just excepting who he is. They either can't believe someone like Superman could exist or even if he does they don't buy into what he represents.

If we get Superman back to fighting for truth, tolerance and justice then all will be well. I can just hope.
I see a contradiction in these statements. It's "Truth, Justice, and the American Way". Accept it, buy into it.
Old August 9 2008, 12:37 AM   #88
CaptainCanada
Admiral

"the American way" was added in the 50s to the radio show; Siegel and Shuster's original creation was just "Truth and Justice". Given the importance of international markets, we've now come full-circle.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2008, 12:42 AM   #89
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

^Either way, "tolerance" isn't part of the classic phrase, however appropriate and noble it may sound. It's not just movie producers who try to remake Superman to suit their own image.
Old August 9 2008, 12:47 AM   #90
Harvey
Admiral

I thought the phrase in Superman Returns was "truth, justice, and all that other stuff?" Or did another character say otherwise? (Or are we just talking about a different Superman film?)

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote