Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old August 6 2008, 06:45 PM   #16
Christopher
Writer

Re: Trek Comics on DVD

Sorry, I neglected to list the DC/Malibu crossover, which is on the DVD. I've amended the list accordingly. Basically the only things it doesn't have (reprints aside) are the Trek/X-Men crossovers, the newspaper strips, and the TokyoPop and IDW stuff that's still in print.

There's a lot here I've never read: Most of the Gold Keys, all the Power Records, many of the Malibus, most of the '90 Marvels, about half the Wildstorms. And even more that I have read but no longer own.

Written Worlds -- My blog

Last edited by Christopher; August 6 2008 at 06:50 PM.
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2008, 07:04 PM   #17
FredH
Captain

Man, it's going to be nice to have the fugitive-Bird-of-Prey/Kirk-commanding-the-Excelsior years back again, and I don't care if they can't possibly be shoehorned into the movie continuity.
FredH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2008, 07:09 PM   #18
David Henderson
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to David Henderson

Christopher wrote: View Post
Sorry, I neglected to list the DC/Malibu crossover, which is on the DVD. I've amended the list accordingly. Basically the only things it doesn't have (reprints aside) are the Trek/X-Men crossovers, the newspaper strips, and the TokyoPop and IDW stuff that's still in print.
On another site, it was mentioned that the Star Trek/X-Men crossovers would be included, and the note seemed to come from someone involved in the production of the collection (though I may be mistaken about their role).

davidh
Old August 6 2008, 07:12 PM   #19
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

FredH wrote: View Post
Man, it's going to be nice to have the fugitive-Bird-of-Prey/Kirk-commanding-the-Excelsior years back again, and I don't care if they can't possibly be shoehorned into the movie continuity.

I disagree. There is nothing about those issues that flatly contradicts the movie continuity. In fact, I think it was a pretty smooth transition, if a wee bit contrived.
Old August 6 2008, 07:31 PM   #20
Christopher
Writer

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
I disagree. There is nothing about those issues that flatly contradicts the movie continuity. In fact, I think it was a pretty smooth transition, if a wee bit contrived.
Oh, yes there is. In fact, it even contradicts itself. Namely, the "Doomsday Bug" arc pre-ST IV claims that the Bird of Prey is miraculously small enough to fit inside the Excelsior's shuttlebay, even though the "Mirror Universe Saga" issues clearly (and accurately) showed it to be so large that it had to be towed by tractor beam behind/beneath the Excelsior.

And of course there are things in the DC comics that were contradicted later on, like Starfleet using cloaking devices or Koloth dying in issue 2 (and he came back without explanation later in the same series). But who cares what they do or don't contradict? What matters is that they're cool stories.

Old August 6 2008, 07:50 PM   #21
Dayton Ward
Word Pusher

View Dayton Ward's Twitter Profile

But who cares what they do or don't contradict? What matters is that they're cool stories.
Word.

"tlhingAn HoL, Mother F*cker! Do you speak it?!"
Dayton Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2008, 08:21 PM   #22
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Oh, yes there is. In fact, it even contradicts itself. Namely, the "Doomsday Bug" arc pre-ST IV claims that the Bird of Prey is miraculously small enough to fit inside the Excelsior's shuttlebay, even though the "Mirror Universe Saga" issues clearly (and accurately) showed it to be so large that it had to be towed by tractor beam behind/beneath the Excelsior.

And of course there are things in the DC comics that were contradicted later on, like Starfleet using cloaking devices or Koloth dying in issue 2 (and he came back without explanation later in the same series). But who cares what they do or don't contradict? What matters is that they're cool stories.
Oh sure, if your going to bring up specifics use facts and logic, well then, sure....

Seriously, in broad general terms, I don't see where the Kirk commanding the Excelsior and Spock commanding the Surak between ST 3 & 4 is contradicted by the dreaded canon. The only thing ever established about the time in between the movies is that they were in exile on Vulcan for three months before the begining of TVH, which works just as well being three months after the The Doomsday Bug as it does being three months after TSFS.

And I agree that the coolness factor of those stories really is the only important thing.
Old August 7 2008, 03:14 PM   #23
FredH
Captain

But who cares what they do or don't contradict? What matters is that they're cool stories.
...which admittedly didn't stop my teenaged self from going through all sorts of mental contortions trying to make it all fit. ("Right! Saavik's pon farr-induced attack on the Enterprise blew open exactly the same parts of the hull that Khan's did, and that's why Kirk's suddenly depressed about Spock's death again in STIII. Absolutely!")
FredH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2008, 05:20 PM   #24
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

I wasn't quite convinced by the lead-in to Star Trek III, so at the time, I wrote my own story that went in-between issue #8 and Star Trek III. It wasn't very long -- maybe fourteen or fifteen hand-written pages.

The Klingon War in issues #1-4 was an attempt by the Klingons to take Genesis by force. When it failed, they turned to subterfuge. Kruge was a cousin of Koloth's, and he wanted revenge for Koloth's death. So, with the aid of Klingon spies, he faked intelligence that the Klingons were going to take the Regula-I station, while the real attempt to take Genesis would do so by gaining the secrets of the Genesis Planet. (The idea was that Starfleet would be more willing to defend the space station than they would be to defend an evolving planet.) The Enterprise took heavy damage, but managed to fend off the Klingon attack on Regula-I, and the ship was so damaged (since it was much more damaged in Star Trek III than it was at the end of Star Trek II) that they had to offload characters like Bearclaw, Bryce, and Konom while the ship limped home.

It wasn't very good. I wrote it when I was 11. But I thought it was a better continuity implant than what we got, and it made the events of Star Trek III as much a continuation of Mike Barr's early stories as it was a sequel to Star Trek II.

Now I'm regretting not polishing this up and sending it in to Strange New Worlds... :/
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2008, 05:35 PM   #25
LightningStorm
The Borg King

This is considerably more pimp than I thought. For whatever reason I had in my mind how sucky it would be to have comics on a DVD that you'd watch on a TV (the menu navigation alone would be terrible). Little did i know they were data DVDs. NICE.

Now the egregious lack of the X-Men/ST cross overs is a huge pile of SUCK for me, because those are the ones I care most about. (They are in fact the only ST Comics I've ever read) and I did so based on the fact that they tied into the novel Planet X so well. I'm sure the problem has something to do with licensing and being able to distribute the X-Men characters, but still.

Nevertheless I may just get this so I can finally see what the hype is all about with the Trek Comics.
Old August 7 2008, 08:18 PM   #26
David Henderson
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to David Henderson

Alex Fletcher at TrekMovie.com says the X-Men comics are supposed to be included, even though they aren't listed in the flap (see comments #45 and #75).

davidh
Old August 7 2008, 09:49 PM   #27
Christopher
Writer

Ooh, look at comment #54!
Re: newspaper comic strips and UK Joe90 comics

CBS could not arrange the licensing rights for these in time. GIT has complete sets of these, and is working with CBS to arrange the licensing in the hopes of putting out a legal set of these next year, but, as usual, that all depends on how the licensing stuff works out.
So it may still happen. I hope it works out. Although I hope that set doesn't cost as much.

Old August 7 2008, 10:07 PM   #28
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Hey, can anyone tell me which comic featured Janice Rand? I read the synopsis on... Memory Beta, I believe... and it sounded cool!
"The saying implies but does not name the effective agency of its supposed utopia.... 'Needs and abilities' are, of course, subjective. So the operative statement may be reduced to 'the State shall take, the State shall give'."
--David Mamet
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2008, 12:57 AM   #29
Christopher
Writer

I can only think of a couple of comics featuring Rand, aside from some of the early Gold Keys (including the first issue, where the colorist misinterpreted her beehive as a wool hat and colored it red). She was prominent in issue 12 of Marvel's 1980-81 series, "Eclipse of Reason" by Alan Brennert and Martin Pasko. And she was featured in the fifth annual of DC's 2nd TOS series, "The Dream Walkers" by Michael Jan Friedman.

Old August 8 2008, 12:24 PM   #30
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Baerbel Haddrell wrote: View Post
Well, I tried to pre-order it and Amazon.com is refusing to deliver it to Britain. Great .
That usually means a different company will be distributing to international markets. Try asking your local comic shop to order it in for you.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote