Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Your grade for Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor aka Mummy 3
A+ 1 2.86%
A 1 2.86%
A- 3 8.57%
B+ 7 20.00%
B 0 0%
B- 4 11.43%
C+ 3 8.57%
C 4 11.43%
C- 4 11.43%
D+ 2 5.71%
D 3 8.57%
D- 0 0%
F 3 8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 3 2008, 05:59 AM   #31
Thespeckledkiwi
Vice Admiral

Location: TheBolianChef is no more! It's theSpeckledKiwi now!
Re: Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor - Review&Discussion **SPOILERS**

Man, did the director take lessons from Michael Bay? Most of the fights were unwatchable and gave me a headache that I had to close my eyes and just listen.

It was okay. Nothing great. Not abysmal. It is, what it is.

Though I do wonder if they'll spin off with Alex and his new fling? that might not be bad. The kid seemed like a good actor.
Thespeckledkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2008, 02:59 PM   #32
PK95
Captain

I cannot say that I hated this movie but I do feel that it is the weakest of the three in the fun factor. I always enjoy Brendan Fraser in almost anything he does though so he is able to make it more enjoyable. Michelle Yeoh is also dependable as always.

The loss of Rachel Weisz was the biggest hurt. She and Fraser had great chemistry together and they helped the franchise out. Maria Bello was just okay in the role. She looked the part but did not have any chemistry with Fraser and I could not buy her in the role. Also, she was not good with the accent.

The rest of the cast was all right but I wish that John Hannah was in the movie more. When Jonathan is on screen, the fun level rises every time.

I give the movie a "B-" which translates that although I will not go to see it again at theaters, I will watch it again when the DVD is cheap to add to the collection of the others in the franchise.
PK95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2008, 03:59 PM   #33
Messianni
Commodore

View Messianni's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Messianni Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Messianni

10% on Rotten Tomatoes...

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mumm...ragon_emperor/

Ouch. I didn't think it'd do that great in the reviews but, still...
Old August 4 2008, 05:47 PM   #34
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I really liked that they at least acknowledged that Eve is a different actress (and character) in her opening scene. The Rachel Weiss version is just the one from her novels, which I'm okay with.
I thought that was what they were going for as well. That the Evie of the first two movies was more a caricture of Evie herself. I thought it was a creative piece of writing around it for our purpose anyway. Still missed Rachel though. She had better chemistry with Brendan.

T'Pers0n wrote: View Post
The dad is played by someone age 39. The son is played by someone age 27.

When I kept seeing all the trailers, I kept thinking it was suppose to be his little brother or something. This is supposedly one of the main reasons Weiss passed on the film. She didn't want to have some 30 year old son.
True. Rachel never publicaly cited the script itself as an issue for her not returning. It was that she did not want to be seen on screen as being a mother to a 19year old son. I personally think she played into sterotypes too much with her decision but it was her choice to make.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2008, 12:02 AM   #35
Tom
Rear Admiral

HAte to say this but the Mummy Ride I went on at Universal Studios in Orlando 2 weeks ago was much better than this movie!
Old August 6 2008, 02:50 AM   #36
Dar70
Rear Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
T'Pers0n wrote: View Post
The dad is played by someone age 39. The son is played by someone age 27.

When I kept seeing all the trailers, I kept thinking it was suppose to be his little brother or something. This is supposedly one of the main reasons Weiss passed on the film. She didn't want to have some 30 year old son.
The characters, though, are much older. 10 years passed between the first movie and the second, it would seem the same ammount of time passed between the second movie and this one. So Rick and Evie are much, much, older than the actors who play them. They're probably in all "reality" in their 50s.

Well this film is 24 years after the first one. If we are to assume that Evie and Rick were in their early 20's in the first film, this would mean they are in their mid 40's in this one. I would think Rick is about 44-46 as well as Evie. Which would mean Brendon Fraser isplaying someone 5-7 years older than himself.Luke Fords character is supposedtobe about 22-24. Which means hes playingsomeone 3-5years younger than himself. Not a far stretch if you ask me. Maria Bello looks a little older than Fraser and definitelylookedlike she could be Fords mother. It would have helped if they at least added a little grey to Frasers temples.
Dar70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2008, 03:30 PM   #37
Mr Light
Admiral

I enjoyed the movie as a popcorn flick, but I definitely preferred the first two. Didn't care for Bello, the freakishly adult son, or the underuse of Jonathan my favorite character. I did love the Yetis though, shoulda seen more of them. The football gag didn't bother me at all. Unfortunately the entire story is a beat by beat remake of the first movie, though.

I mean really, this comes out 9 years after the first movie, and they have a 25 year old son?! WTF.

Last edited by Mr Light; August 6 2008 at 03:37 PM.
Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2008, 06:12 PM   #38
DWF
Vice Admiral

I mean really, this comes out 9 years after the first movie, and they have a 25 year old son?! WTF.
The first movie was set in 1921, the second in 1933 and the third in 1947 and Alex was what 9 in the second movie so it's possible for him to be in his early 20s in the third movie.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2008, 06:48 PM   #39
RoJoHen
Awesome

I have no problem with Alex's age. I just wish they had tried to make Rick look a little older. He did not have the haircut of a 40-50 year old man.
Old August 6 2008, 07:58 PM   #40
Mr Light
Admiral

The problem isn't the artificial timeline, but the reality of the appearance of the actors. The "kid" looks like he's 30, and Fraiser looks like he's 35-40. They could have at least found a guy who looked younger.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2008, 08:06 PM   #41
Capt_Piett
Rear Admiral

Saw it this past Monday, and thought it was pretty good. I liked they got some of the secondary actors back from the second film for this one. Overall, I liked it. Gave it a B+. Not the best movie I've ever seen, but certainly entertaining. And Brenden Fraiser still looks hot, as seen in the shirtless portion of the film.
Old August 6 2008, 08:19 PM   #42
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
The problem isn't the artificial timeline, but the reality of the appearance of the actors. The "kid" looks like he's 30, and Fraiser looks like he's 35-40. They could have at least found a guy who looked younger.
It isn't that uncommon for actors to play characters younger or older than them. The actor who played adult Alex looks "young enough" for a movie world early-20s.
Old August 7 2008, 04:21 AM   #43
Dar70
Rear Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I have no problem with Alex's age. I just wish they had tried to make Rick look a little older. He did not have the haircut of a 40-50 year old man.

Thats the only problem. Evie looked liked she could be luke Fords mother.(she was 40 during filming) But Rick needed at least grey hair. That would have made it more believable. Maybe if there is another film they will address that.
Dar70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2008, 04:42 AM   #44
cubbie
Vice Admiral

Capt_Piett wrote: View Post
And Brenden Fraiser still looks hot, as seen in the shirtless portion of the film.
My favorite scene!
cubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2008, 02:32 PM   #45
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

cubbie wrote: View Post
Capt_Piett wrote: View Post
And Brenden Fraiser still looks hot, as seen in the shirtless portion of the film.
My favorite scene!
As a perfectly (Ok. Not "perfectly") hetero-male I, too, was impressed with him shirtless.