The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 5 2008, 12:22 PM   #76
stoneroses
Rear Admiral

Re: Albums bands might've wished they hadn't made.

Any band that works with egotist Mark Ronson.

Monster is great by the way, I am sure REM don't regret that one bit.

The Beatles' Album Let It Be speeded up their break up so maybe they regreted that.

Robbie Williams should regret his entire back catalogue.

As for The Verve. I would say Urban Hymms is a great album but A Northern Soul is better and has more depth. The songs on that album are more soulful. So with that said 3rd album Urban Hymms was a come down. I home the new album is good. I always worry when bands get back together. I hope The Stone Roses never reform because it could damage what they did.

http://communities.msn.com/infograpismo
stoneroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2008, 02:51 PM   #77
Nerdius Maximus
Fleet Captain

Garth Rockett wrote: View Post
Kail wrote: View Post
I submit Black Sabbath Eternal Idol
I'd put that in Sabbath's top five, personally.
Speaking of underrated Sabbath albums, Cross Purposes comes to mind. Now Forbidden, on the other hand, I thought that was garbage.

Another one to add to the list:
Celtic Frost: Cold Lake. They'll never live that one down.

Last edited by Nerdius Maximus; August 5 2008 at 03:07 PM.
Nerdius Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2008, 06:59 PM   #78
voggmo
Commodore

Cross Purposes was quite good.
voggmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2008, 07:03 PM   #79
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

voggmo wrote: View Post
1.Iron Man
4.Supernaut
6.Symptom of the Universe
8.Sweet leaf
9.Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

Honorable mention, N.I.B. & whatever else I missed
Hell yes. I'd throw in A National Acrobat, Sabbra Cadabra, Fairies Wear Boots and Children of the Grave as well - love those ones.

stoneroses wrote: View Post
...should be taken outside and shot. At least I can understand the original bands letting him ruin their songs for the royalties, but without a doubt Mark Ronson is the most contemptible man in music. What a ****.
Old August 5 2008, 08:49 PM   #80
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

Nerdius Maximus wrote: View Post
HappyDayRiot wrote:

Of course, even NSD is a gem next to the rubbish they churned out with Dio and all those others in the 80s.
What? Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules are two of the greatest metal albums of all time!
QFT!

HappyDayRiot wrote:
Okay I admit I forgot about Heaven and Hell! I will not be swayed on Mob Rules or anything since though. I suppose it just wasn't my type of rock that they moved to really.
What's wrong with Mob Rules? It's basically Heaven and Hell Part Two!!!!
Old August 5 2008, 08:56 PM   #81
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

I guess I can only shrug and say I just don't like it.

Interestingly, this is the first time I've ever seen anyone say they DO like it, let alone love it!
Old August 5 2008, 10:25 PM   #82
Caleuche
Commander

stoneroses wrote: View Post
My big fear about the next Kaiser Chief album. The fear gets worse when I remember Lily Allen is on it as well.

Robbie Williams should regret his entire back catalogue.
Agreed.

As for The Verve. I would say Urban Hymms is a great album but A Northern Soul is better and has more depth. The songs on that album are more soulful. So with that said 3rd album Urban Hymms was a come down. I hope the new album is good. I always worry when bands get back together. I hope The Stone Roses never reform because it could damage what they did.
I was trying to think of a band that has successfully reformed to the same level of success as before the spilt. I haven't come up with one yet. Northern Soul doesn't have Bitter Sweet Symphony on it though, which is one of my top five favourite songs.
Caleuche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2008, 11:54 PM   #83
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

HappyDayRiot wrote: View Post

Interestingly, this is the first time I've ever seen anyone say they DO like it, let alone love it!
I don't know how you can even really look at HAH and TMR as two seperate albums. Heck, I think of them as a two record set!

In fact, "Voodoo", "The Sign of the Southern Cross", and "Falling Off the Edge of the World" are three of my favorite Sabbath tunes from ANY era.

I almost have to wonder if somehow you are confusing The Mob Rules with Dehumanizer?
Old August 6 2008, 10:45 AM   #84
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

I'm going to have to listen to both of them again based on this outpouring of emotion. In fact I don't even know why Heaven and Hell isn't on my laptop anyway.

I'll be back... Hell, I'll even give Never Say Die another chance while I'm at it.
Old August 6 2008, 02:44 PM   #85
Garth Rockett
Commodore

I love Mob Rules as well, but I don't think of it and Heaven and Hell as being that closely linked. Mob Rules is much heavier and more gloomy than Heaven and Hell.

They're both classics, though.

I'll echo the appreciation for Cross Purposes as well, and also throw out Born Again as an all-time classic Sabbath LP.
Old August 6 2008, 03:38 PM   #86
Nerdius Maximus
Fleet Captain

Chaos Descending wrote: View Post
HappyDayRiot wrote: View Post

I don't know how you can even really look at HAH and TMR as two seperate albums. Heck, I think of them as a two record set!

In fact, "Voodoo", "The Sign of the Southern Cross", and "Falling Off the Edge of the World" are three of my favorite Sabbath tunes from ANY era.

I almost have to wonder if somehow you are confusing The Mob Rules with Dehumanizer?
I love Dehumanizer. The whole thing is just heavy as fuck.
Nerdius Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2008, 11:09 PM   #87
Thrall
Commodore

JonathonWally wrote: View Post
Metallica - St Anger
Good God yes. As if their rep wasn't damaged enough, they put out this piece of shit. It genuinely offended me as a human being. And the fact that the band still thinks it was a good idea is one of the many reasons I don't respect them anymore. And the fact that Rolling Stone actually gave it a good review is why I don't read Rolling Stone anymore.
Old August 7 2008, 12:31 AM   #88
voggmo
Commodore

Country Girl was worst track on Mob Rules. Tony came up with a good riff, & Ronnie sort of wrecked it from there. Ronnie's a genius, don't take that the wrong way, just he had a bad day at the office there.

The difference between H & H & Mob Rules was the overall sound which was brought about in 2 ways. 1. A new drummer. 2. different studio. Heaven & Hell was recorded all over the place, Florida, L.A. & France. Sabs were having tax issues or something. Mob Rules at record Plant in L.A. as I remember.

Bill Ward says he can't remember a thing about recording H&H.

Headless Cross & Dehuhanizer were both good, but not as good as H&H.

Here is Eric Singers 2 cents.

Tony Iommi writes heavy riffs like nobody else. He’s the king/ the godfather of heavy metal or whatever you want to call it and there’s no doubt about it. A lot of people write great riffs like Judas Priest, but the kings are Sabbath and it’s Tony. He wrote those riffs. You can go through all the versions of Black Sabbath with all the different singers – the A, B, C versions of the band – the bottom line is that every record has some cool riffs and that’s Tony. I don’t know anybody better.”

Last edited by voggmo; August 7 2008 at 12:40 AM.
Old August 7 2008, 01:47 AM   #89
voggmo
Commodore

& to continue offtopic slightly, here's Bobby Rondinelli's 2 cents, ( arguable THE best drummer to play with the Sabs. Big statement I know). He was on Cross Purposes. Ritchie Blackmore used to sing his praises in interviews back in early 80's when he was in Rainbow. G-R-E-A-T drummer he called him.

RNRU : What was the main difference between working with Ritchie and working with Tony?
BR : There weren't that many differences. Tony was really easy going. He'd say, "Play what you want," basically.
Old August 7 2008, 04:51 AM   #90
voggmo
Commodore

Peter Criss solo album. Forgot that one. Hooligan from Love Gun was pretty bad too. Theme of Kiss on 1st Lp a stinker also.