Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 5 2008, 03:16 AM   #31
Zachary Smith
Vice Admiral

Re: So is the pressure on Superman?

If and when they make a new Superman movie, I'd like to think it will be ABOUT Superman instead of being a lovely posthumous Valentine to Christopher Reeve.

My favorite TV show is "Cool Hand Luke Skywalker--Texas Ranger". The best episode is the one where he fights Samantha's wacky Sith Lord Uncle, Darth Arthur . . ."
Zachary Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2008, 03:16 AM   #32
Bad Bishop
Vice Admiral

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
TDK may well have another $300 million in it. It's only in the opening phase of its international release, with a lot of territories where it hasn't been released at all yet.
TDK is a cash machine that has more than made up for the disappointing box office of Superman Returns. I think this might help move the next Superman along.
Old August 5 2008, 03:42 AM   #33
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

I believe in Metropolis

I believe in Bryan Singer

I believe in Superman

Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2008, 03:53 AM   #34
Kegek
Rear Admiral

^
I believe in Nick Naylor.

Anyway, if TDK effects the Superman sequel at all I'd gather it be postively - one can do a serious, brooding take on a big-name superhero and make oodles. Maybe if the next film had things happen to the character - upsets of the status quo, prices paid by the hero, and other things that I felt Returns lacked and was my main problem with a pretty good film.

- All About Eve.
Kegek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2008, 04:17 AM   #35
DarKush
Rear Admiral

I think they need to let Superman rest for a while and push their other characters like Flash, Green Lantern, and Wonder Woman. Marvel is putting out way more characters. DC has a rich background. Yes, Supes and Bats are the foundation characters, but DC/Warner Brothers is doing a disservice to themselves and the fans by not really delving into the deep well they have.

I think a follow up the disappointing SR won't be all that exciting, and a reboot so soon after SR might go the way of Incredible Hulk in terms of popularity.

Though I would prefer getting rid of Singer. He had his chance and he blew it. I don't want to see a retread of TWOK which is what I heard he plans for the Man of Steel sequel. At least look to the vast amount of Superman product out there for source material. Why go back to TWOK? It worked for X-Men 2, but I would like someone willing to be a little more creative yet stay true to Superman's character and the mythos. A little tweaking is fine, but I didn't care for Singer's changes, or his casting choices. Though Spacey was an inspired choice for Luthor, Singer didn't really do anything with him. And Routh was told to mimic Christopher Reeve IMO, which was only a reminder of how great Reeve had been in the role while doing nothing to allow Routh the opportunity to put his own stamp on the role.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2008, 04:33 AM   #36
Mr Light
Admiral

I want to see a Superman movie as a huge action piece. I'd like to see a trilogy about Darkseid invading Earth. I'd also like to see them cast someone much bigger and muscular; I prefer my Superman to look like a freak on steroids

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2008, 05:16 AM   #37
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I would love to see Superman: Man of Steel or whatever you want to call it directed by Bryan Singer with a story by Singer and Mark Millar and a screenplay written by Millar! I think a collaboration between the two of them would result in a fucking fantastic action movie!!! Darkseid and Brianiac need to be involved somehow as well. I don't know if Batman's success has put pressure on Superman...I think the lack of critical success on Superman Returns puts pressure on Superman to be honest.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2008, 05:49 PM   #38
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Variety's Anne Thompson spoke to Thomas Tull, the head of Legendary Pictures (co-financier with WB of Batman Begins, Superman Returns, 300, The Dark Knight, Watchmen, and others) a couple of weeks ago. I just saw it flagged up on Comics2Film. Here's the relevant bit in relation to another Superman film:

He's also vested in making the next Superman installment, which is still years away, come to life. While Bryan Singer has been working on Valkyrie, Tull and the folks at Warners have been listening to various screenwriters pitch their solutions to how to make the next Superman work. "It's an iconic character," says Tull. "After everything that went into the first film, it's important to make sure that nothing is rushed and we come out with a fantastic second film." One thing they all agree on: Superman needs a powerful antagonist, a "worthy opponent," he says.
So it sounds like they're envisaging a sequel, but since they're still only at the stage of taking pitches from screenwriters they're not far along in development (which makes a summer 2010 release look dubious given the size and complexity of a Superman film). The more time slips by the more likely it becomes that WB and Legendary decide to start from scratch with Superman rather than make a sequel to SR.
Old August 5 2008, 06:41 PM   #39
davejames
Vice Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I would love to see Superman: Man of Steel or whatever you want to call it directed by Bryan Singer with a story by Singer and Mark Millar and a screenplay written by Millar! I think a collaboration between the two of them would result in a fucking fantastic action movie!!! Darkseid and Brianiac need to be involved somehow as well. I don't know if Batman's success has put pressure on Superman...I think the lack of critical success on Superman Returns puts pressure on Superman to be honest.
Agreed. Singer is great with the visual aspect, but he really needs some stronger writers to help come up with a good story.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2008, 06:58 PM   #40
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

T'Baio wrote: View Post
Warner's wants another Superman film, they're just not sure how. But I don't think they'd be looking to The Dark Knight for inspiration. Superman Returns was as brooding as I ever thought I'd see Superman, and it didn't work. I think they'd look more to Iron Man, as it definitely had more of the lighter tone they should be going for in a Superman movie.
I think you're misinterpreting the statements some folks are making re: "The Dark Knight" or "Batman Begins" regarding how Superman would be done.

What these films demonstrated isn't that "dark and brooding" is the way to go. What they demonstrated is that staying as true as possible to the source-material, instead of trying to "reinvent" or "put my own spin on it" or whatever, is the way to go.

"Superman Returns" at once tried to honor, not Superman (the comic character) but Superman (the Reeves character) and yet to "update" it in ways that they'd NEVER do with the comic character. They "honored" stuff that's not central to the guy, and ripped out core elements of him and those around him.

As "cool" as the action sequences in S-R may have looked, the "Superman is a stalker ex-boyfriend" bit was utterly horrifying to me and ruined everything. The fact that the actor, or at least the way the part was written and the character was outfitted and dressed, was almost like a Goth/Emo version of Superman didn't help.

Go do a search for "World's Finest trailer." It's a fan-made thing, but it's got the best Batman and Superman casting I've ever seen (and I love Bale in the Nolan films, by the way... I just think that the guy in this is better!) The guy who did Clarke Kent in this little trailer IS Superman as I've always seen him in my mind's eye. And his Clark and Superman are just dissimilar enough that I can imagine people not figuring it out.

What needs to be done in the next Superman film is to treat it as a SERIOUS (no "camp") treatment. Treat this as the real world... but just put this fantastic character into it. The Salkind Superman did that to an extent... but it also had a heavy dose of campiness, with "Superman Returns" kept but layered on even more heavily.

Note: "No Camp" does NOT mean "dark and depressing." Humor doesn't have to involve self-mockery. Superman should be a bright, positive hopeful character... exactly the opposite of what Batman should be.
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2008, 07:54 PM   #41
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

While I'm in the minority who likes SR a lot, I can understand why others dislike it. However, I've become more and more sure that while there will be another Superman movie, it won't be a sequel to SR and won't feature Bryan Singer behind the camera. If WB were going to make a direct sequel to it, the wheels would have been in motion long before now. Singer and his co-writers, Routh, Bosworth etc would all be booked up. There would have been no talk of a JLA movie and no discussions or pitches from other writers or directors.

I think WB will be looking at the success ofthe Batman franchise, having dumped the baggage of the Burton/Shumacher years, the reinvention of Bond and the success of the breezy, fun-filled Iron Man. While not every reboot is a roaring success - the Incredible Hulk (though it was great fun) - I don't see them greenlighting another movie with Son of Superman and all the stuff that so many disliked in 2006.

I do hope that even if they jettison Singer and the rest of the creative crew behind SR, they retain Brandon Routh. I think he was the perfect successor to Chris Reeve and I think they'd be crazy to spend zillions more dollars seeking a new wearer of the cape when they have the perfect man at home twiddling his thumbs. And with him being a good 3 or 4 years older (at least) by the time shooting begins on any sequel, presumably he won't look like Superboy any more.
Old August 5 2008, 09:36 PM   #42
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

DarKush wrote: View Post
I think they need to let Superman rest for a while and push their other characters like Flash, Green Lantern, and Wonder Woman. Marvel is putting out way more characters. DC has a rich background. Yes, Supes and Bats are the foundation characters, but DC/Warner Brothers is doing a disservice to themselves and the fans by not really delving into the deep well they have.
You know I think part of their big problem is that Marvel's characters are a little easier to envision in a naturalistic way, while DC's are much more fantasy in terms of their origins and their worlds. For some reason everyone's decided putting things in a world that looks and feels like ours is the way to go - which is a tad baffling, didn't LotR prove that a fully fleshed fantasy world can also make oodles of money?

I keep hearing about problems with Wonder Woman and that's because there's no way to do that character in a naturalistic world. She fights psychotic pantheons and snake monsters and what all. They need to embrace the fantasy...
Old August 5 2008, 09:52 PM   #43
Kegek
Rear Admiral

Lapis Exilis wrote: View Post
For some reason everyone's decided putting things in a world that looks and feels like ours is the way to go - which is a tad baffling, didn't LotR prove that a fully fleshed fantasy world can also make oodles of money?
Even LOTR emphasized its fictional historicity. It was about as naturalistic as one could get in a world filled with Orcs, Elves and Dwarves. There are genuflections to Harryhausen; but it takes itself far more seriously than that. (Which worked for LOTR but not for King Kong, yet I disgress...) Just as The Dark Knight is about as naturalistic and serious one could get in a world where a lone, rich man can dress in a Batsuit and be an effective vigilante who doesn't kill.

Well, that and genre distinctions. LOTR is high fantasy. Superhero movies are superhero movies. The following knee-jerk assumption is that Wonder Woman should be measured by Batman and Spider-Man pictures rather than Narnia and Middle-Earth.

Personally, yeah, I'd like to see outrageous, fantasy pictures along with the more serious, realistic stuff. Whatever works and keeps me amused in the theatres is fine by me. Of course, I also want space opera to make a big comeback, but eh....

- All About Eve.
Kegek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2008, 09:56 PM   #44
davejames
Vice Admiral

Cary L. Brown wrote: View Post
I think you're misinterpreting the statements some folks are making re: "The Dark Knight" or "Batman Begins" regarding how Superman would be done.

What these films demonstrated isn't that "dark and brooding" is the way to go. What they demonstrated is that staying as true as possible to the source-material, instead of trying to "reinvent" or "put my own spin on it" or whatever, is the way to go.

"Superman Returns" at once tried to honor, not Superman (the comic character) but Superman (the Reeves character) and yet to "update" it in ways that they'd NEVER do with the comic character. They "honored" stuff that's not central to the guy, and ripped out core elements of him and those around him.

As "cool" as the action sequences in S-R may have looked, the "Superman is a stalker ex-boyfriend" bit was utterly horrifying to me and ruined everything. The fact that the actor, or at least the way the part was written and the character was outfitted and dressed, was almost like a Goth/Emo version of Superman didn't help.

Go do a search for "World's Finest trailer." It's a fan-made thing, but it's got the best Batman and Superman casting I've ever seen (and I love Bale in the Nolan films, by the way... I just think that the guy in this is better!) The guy who did Clarke Kent in this little trailer IS Superman as I've always seen him in my mind's eye. And his Clark and Superman are just dissimilar enough that I can imagine people not figuring it out.

What needs to be done in the next Superman film is to treat it as a SERIOUS (no "camp") treatment. Treat this as the real world... but just put this fantastic character into it. The Salkind Superman did that to an extent... but it also had a heavy dose of campiness, with "Superman Returns" kept but layered on even more heavily.

Note: "No Camp" does NOT mean "dark and depressing." Humor doesn't have to involve self-mockery. Superman should be a bright, positive hopeful character... exactly the opposite of what Batman should be.
I'm sure the vast majority of moviegoers who went to TDK couldn't have cared less if the movie was faithful to the comics. The reason the movie did so well was because Nolan wrote and directed a great movie. Simple as that.

And while World's Finest was a fun little fan film, stylistically it felt about as campy and comic booky as the Spider-Man movies-- which is NOT what I'm looking for in a Superman movie.

I far preferred SR's more sophisticated and adult style (although I would still want to brighten things up a tad for the sequel ).
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2008, 10:00 PM   #45
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Kegek wrote: View Post
Well, that and genre distinctions. LOTR is high fantasy. Superhero movies are superhero movies. The following knee-jerk assumption is that Wonder Woman should be measured by Batman and Spider-Man pictures rather than Narnia and Middle-Earth.
I would agree that I would rather see a Wonder Woman movie in the vein of Lord of the Rings rather than The Dark Knight. I think that kind of story necessitates a grand, epic scope with heavy fantasy elements.

Personally, yeah, I'd like to see outrageous, fantasy pictures along with the more serious, realistic stuff. Whatever works and keeps me amused in the theatres is fine by me. Of course, I also want space opera to make a big comeback, but eh....
Let's hope next year's Star Trek rival does just that.