TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 4 2008, 07:20 PM   #196
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Re: X-Files Bombs

darkshadow0001 wrote: View Post
Even so, I liked the film. It was great to see Scully and Mulder back together again, even though I was hoping more for a UFO type story or something else then what we got. Still, nonetheless, it was a decent film.
Yeah, seeing them together again is the only reason why I gave it such a high grade. There were some decent character moments with the two but, in the end, that can't save the bad plot, story and pacing.

And the shipper in me liked seeing them all cuddly in bed talking inuendo.
Old August 4 2008, 09:03 PM   #197
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I guess as it relates to the thread title the movie is not going to BOMB or FLOP, if only because its budget was only $30 million.

It currently has $17m and will be just over $18m by Thursday and $20m after the upcoming weekend. While not much to write home about the movie will fall just short of breaking even. Factor any the WW take and its still made money.

Not going to see X-Files 3: Doomsday in 2012 as Chris Carter hinted he'd like to do and tie back into the series but hey at least we got this...as mediocre as it was.

At least Carter didn't call it a "Valentine to the Fans".
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2008, 10:43 PM   #198
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
I guess as it relates to the thread title the movie is not going to BOMB or FLOP, if only because its budget was only $30 million.

It currently has $17m and will be just over $18m by Thursday and $20m after the upcoming weekend. While not much to write home about the movie will fall just short of breaking even. Factor any the WW take and its still made money.
Seems reasonable to me, but that argument never seemed to work with Serenity.....
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2008, 11:01 PM   #199
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Lindley wrote: View Post
Captain Craig wrote: View Post

Seems reasonable to me, but that argument never seemed to work with Serenity.....
Serenity, didn't nearly break even at the end of its run. After the upcoming 3rd weekend X-Files:2 will be over the $20m mark and keep closing on that $30m number, albeit slowly. Whereas Serenity($40m budget, $25m take) didn't manage to crawl within distance of its production budget.
The argument works here. It won't see a sequel but its not a bomb or flop. Serenity did bomb, unfortunately.
Old August 4 2008, 11:38 PM   #200
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

I'd say this movie is a creative bomb/flop.
Old August 4 2008, 11:39 PM   #201
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Including worldwide, it did. I realize X-Files doesn't have those numbers yet.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2008, 11:45 PM   #202
Harvey
Admiral

Serenity almost made it's money back, including world wide. It was $130,000 dollars short of its $39,000,000 budget. That doesn't include distribution costs or advertising (which was minimal). That also doesn't include DVD or television sales.

The X-Files cost less than Serenity ($30 million vs. $39 million), but, as you say, we haven't seen the international numbers yet.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2008, 12:18 AM   #203
nevermore
Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
No, it wasn't. It just wasn't the movie you wanted to see. We get that quite thoroughly now, thanks.
Old August 5 2008, 12:25 AM   #204
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

flamingliberal wrote: View Post
No, it wasn't. It just wasn't the movie you wanted to see. We get that quite thoroughly now, thanks.
All I can do is give you a big shrug.

:big shrug:

Sorry I'm, apparently, not allowed to voice my opinion.
Old August 5 2008, 02:03 AM   #205
FordSVT
Vice Admiral

mswood wrote: View Post
Initial estimates for Friday's business is out.

http://news.fantasymoguls.com/origin...son/index.html

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/

"X-Files' manages only $5M Friday & targets just $12M by Monday."

While I figured this would perform poorly (say Nemesis opening numbers), this is even worse. Unless its a big hit overseas or huge hit on the home market, the franchise is dead
The franchise has been dead. For ten years. It's part of the reason this movie bombed.
Old August 5 2008, 04:33 AM   #206
clonewarrior
Ensign

Kaijufan wrote: View Post
I still haven't gotten around to seeing the X-Files yet, so I guess I'm still part of the problem. I have Wednesday off, hopefully I'll be able to see it then.
check it out i think you'll like it
clonewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2008, 04:44 AM   #207
clonewarrior
Ensign

It's one thing to be supportive of a film, it's another to be delusional.

No, the marketing budget wasn't zero. No, this movie obviously hasn't shown it was able to hold its own in the marketplace and people spoke with their dollars. Films that don't make their budgets don't get third sequels.

Sad thing is TDK may even arrive around the same time as X-Files on DVD, crushing it there too. "More entertaining than seeing TDK for the 100th time". Sorry, but the numbers speak for themselves. People obviously don't mind.
I know I, for one, would rather see TDK for a 100th time than see IWtB for a THIRD time.

In all honesty I'll live happy as an X-Files fan never seeing this movie again. Only thing that'll get to *maybe* buy it is if Rifftrax picks it up.
Well i for one was bored with TDK big time , while IWTB kept my attention, more intense int the gut wise

TDK is the POTC of 2008, great money maker
clonewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2008, 04:01 PM   #208
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

clonewarrior wrote: View Post
It's one thing to be supportive of a film, it's another to be delusional.

No, the marketing budget wasn't zero. No, this movie obviously hasn't shown it was able to hold its own in the marketplace and people spoke with their dollars. Films that don't make their budgets don't get third sequels.

Sad thing is TDK may even arrive around the same time as X-Files on DVD, crushing it there too. "More entertaining than seeing TDK for the 100th time". Sorry, but the numbers speak for themselves. People obviously don't mind.
I know I, for one, would rather see TDK for a 100th time than see IWtB for a THIRD time.

In all honesty I'll live happy as an X-Files fan never seeing this movie again. Only thing that'll get to *maybe* buy it is if Rifftrax picks it up.
Well i for one was bored with TDK big time , while IWTB kept my attention, more intense int the gut wise

TDK is the POTC of 2008, great money maker
Um, no but thanks for sharing.
TDK is style and substance.
POTC was only style, if you call it that.
Old August 6 2008, 12:16 AM   #209
stoneroses
Rear Admiral

Lets face it The Xfiles is not Trek. It has dated more, fans have fallen away leaving only the die hards. You can pick up a season of it on Amazon.uk for on average £15 ($30) where as The origional series new costs £23 ($46) and is even being reissued with new effects as most of you know. Star Trek is shown on TV more around the world.
I think the show ran too long on TV. they should have called it a day after season 7
That said I would still like to see it. Not sure I want to pay to see it at Fulham cinema though.

http://communities.msn.com/infograpismo
stoneroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2008, 12:49 AM   #210
DWF
Vice Admiral

stoneroses wrote: View Post
Lets face it The Xfiles is not Trek. It has dated more, fans have fallen away leaving only the die hards. You can pick up a season of it on Amazon.uk for on average £15 ($30) where as The origional series new costs £23 ($46) and is even being reissued with new effects as most of you know. Star Trek is shown on TV more around the world.
I think the show ran too long on TV. they should have called it a day after season 7
That said I would still like to see it. Not sure I want to pay to see it at Fulham cinema though.
The X-Files is on two different cable networks and with 200+ people still aren't bored watching the show as is, it's true that same can't said for Star Trek where people wanted more Star Trek inn less than 5 years afer it was cancelled.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is online now   Reply With Quote