Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 2 2008, 04:11 PM   #61
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Re: Albums bands might've wished they hadn't made.

voggmo wrote: View Post
As for Technical Ecstasy, if I had to pick one of theirs, that would be it. It does have a couple staple tunes of theirs, Dirty Women, ( the live version on the 78 film is awesome). Shes Gone shows Geezers ability to stretch lyrically.

The problem with the band at this stage,( there were several, drugs didn't work anymore so said Geezer, but Oz & Bill just did more to make up for it, that & the split in direction Oz wanted & the other 3 ignored), was that the Sabs never got the same sort of recognition Zeppelin & the Purps got as songwriters, & so they decided to try & move into more sophisticated lyrical & musical direction, the result was, well you know it as well as I do. You can't really cut the balls of of Sabbath & get away with it.

Having said that, Never Say Die WAS sophisticated, had jazz bits, a horn section, & aside from Geezers most hated Sab track off alltime, Swinging the Chain, it's really a great record.
No way. Never Say Die may be 'sophisicated', but there's not a good or memorable song on it. Technical Ecstasy may not be very good, but She's Gone, All Moving Parts and You Won't Change Me more than make up for the rest. Never Say Die is easily the worst Ozzy-era album, and it's not at all surprising he left afterwards.

Of course, even NSD is a gem next to the rubbish they churned out with Dio and all those others in the 80s.

But Voggmo I agree with you on Led Zep - Presence is a great album (I've actually got Tea For One on right now!) and Achilles Last Stand especially is brilliant. It's just a shame Led Zep's last album was their worst.
Old August 2 2008, 04:16 PM   #62
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

CaptJimboJones wrote: View Post
Depeche Mode - Exciter
I know what you mean. That said, for every bad song (Breathe, Freelove, When the Body Speaks, Easy Tiger, Sweet Condition) there's one that's superb (Dream On, Comatose, I Am You, Goodnight Lovers, Shine, The Dead of Night).

Personally I think they should be ashamed of that self-indulgent tripe Songs of Faith and Devotion. How anything that starts with I Feel You and Walking In My Shoes can go so crap so fast beggars belief.

I do know though that Depeche Mode ARE ashamed, if that's the right word for it, of Ultra. Maybe it's because of the circumstances it was recorded in, but they clearly hate almost the whole thing. Which is a shame, because I actually it's in their top 5-6 best albums!
Old August 2 2008, 06:13 PM   #63
Nerdius Maximus
Fleet Captain

HappyDayRiot wrote: View Post
As for Technical Ecstasy, if I had to pick one of theirs, that would be it. It does have a couple staple tunes of theirs, Dirty Women, ( the live version on the 78 film is awesome). Shes Gone shows Geezers ability to stretch lyrically.

The problem with the band at this stage,( there were several, drugs didn't work anymore so said Geezer, but Oz & Bill just did more to make up for it, that & the split in direction Oz wanted & the other 3 ignored), was that the Sabs never got the same sort of recognition Zeppelin & the Purps got as songwriters, & so they decided to try & move into more sophisticated lyrical & musical direction, the result was, well you know it as well as I do. You can't really cut the balls of of Sabbath & get away with it.

Having said that, Never Say Die WAS sophisticated, had jazz bits, a horn section, & aside from Geezers most hated Sab track off alltime, Swinging the Chain, it's really a great record.
No way. Never Say Die may be 'sophisicated', but there's not a good or memorable song on it. Technical Ecstasy may not be very good, but She's Gone, All Moving Parts and You Won't Change Me more than make up for the rest. Never Say Die is easily the worst Ozzy-era album, and it's not at all surprising he left afterwards.

Of course, even NSD is a gem next to the rubbish they churned out with Dio and all those others in the 80s.

But Voggmo I agree with you on Led Zep - Presence is a great album (I've actually got Tea For One on right now!) and Achilles Last Stand especially is brilliant. It's just a shame Led Zep's last album was their worst.
What? Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules are two of the greatest metal albums of all time!
Nerdius Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2008, 07:10 PM   #64
voggmo
Commodore

Never say Die, Johnny Blade & Juniors eyes blow the dog beans out of all the songs on Technical ecstasy.

H& H is an alltime classic.
voggmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2008, 07:35 PM   #65
Outpost4
Vice Admiral

Great thread. I wish I'd seen this before. My nominations:

Grateful Dead - Go To Heaven
Rolling Stones - Their Santanic Magisties Request
Bob Dylan - Shot of Love
Old August 2 2008, 07:59 PM   #66
voggmo
Commodore

As for Zep's last record, I know what you mean. Hotdog? I hated that. But over time I really grew to like Carosellalumbra, or whatever the title was. All of My Love also nice. I understand Pagey & Bonzo were on smack so Jonesey had to take over as musical director.

It's really between Zep 3 & In Through the Out Door as to which was their least good record. But hey, if you're worst was still real good, you ain't doin badly at all.

Remember their cover of that Christopher Cross song? Yikes.

Yes, good mention. Oh boy, what were they thinking. Biff still sings it in certain parts of the world.

State of Shock, yah. Had a George Harrison cover on it right?
Old August 2 2008, 08:57 PM   #67
Caleuche
Commander

My first thought was Oasis with Be Here Now, given the effect it had on their popularity.

Catatonias Equally Cursed and Blessed, seemed to have a similar effect on theirs. Probably too many ballads for a pop band. Apparently some of the Verve disliked Urban Hymns, which is just mindboggling.

And if I can name a solo artist in a thread with band in the title, I don't think anyone (band or otherwise) has achieved the fall in sales, credability and popularity that Alanis Morissette did with Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie.

Last edited by Caleuche; August 2 2008 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Morrisette
Caleuche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2008, 02:06 AM   #68
voggmo
Commodore

Venoms 3r record did have a better sound than it's predessors Nerdie. Side 1 is good. The cover could have been better too though. Rip Ride was good. I always thought they should have put Manitou, Warhead & Die hard on side 2. It would have been a Great record if they had done that.

Hiring Rick Rubin would've been a smart move as well. Possesed sounded lousy & again had a stupid cover. The Wolf with one eye from the live bootleg would have even been better.
Old August 3 2008, 04:00 AM   #69
voggmo
Commodore

NSD also featured some of Tony's best wa wa pedal work. Ozzy hated the track Air Dance. I dug it, showed the Sabs range. Eternal Idol was good I thought. Eric Singer on drums. Good production. Forbidden or perhaps TYR were the least good of the Martin era years.
Old August 3 2008, 04:14 AM   #70
M
Vice Admiral

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Kiss: The Elder
In hindsight, I actually rather like The Elder
Yeah, I like it, too. But more in a campy kind of way. I mean, how can one take the line 'I am just a boy' as sung by Paul Stanley seriously?

1001001 wrote: View Post
aladinsane wrote: View Post
The Cure--"The Cure" from 2004
Disagreed! I love this album.
I love it, too. Although I agree that it isn't their strongest album, I don't think Robert Smith would ever wish he hadn't made the album. That's just not his way of looking at things.

HappyDayRiot wrote: View Post
CaptJimboJones wrote: View Post
Depeche Mode - Exciter
I know what you mean. That said, for every bad song (Breathe, Freelove, When the Body Speaks, Easy Tiger, Sweet Condition) there's one that's superb (Dream On, Comatose, I Am You, Goodnight Lovers, Shine, The Dead of Night).

Personally I think they should be ashamed of that self-indulgent tripe Songs of Faith and Devotion. How anything that starts with I Feel You and Walking In My Shoes can go so crap so fast beggars belief.

I do know though that Depeche Mode ARE ashamed, if that's the right word for it, of Ultra. Maybe it's because of the circumstances it was recorded in, but they clearly hate almost the whole thing. Which is a shame, because I actually it's in their top 5-6 best albums!
Exciter and Ultra are both excellent albums! I don't think they should be ashamed of them.

Also, Songs of Faith and Devotion is even considered a classic. It's one of their most successful albums and I'm sure they'd never wish they hadn't made it.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2008, 10:55 AM   #71
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Nerdius Maximus wrote: View Post

What? Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules are two of the greatest metal albums of all time![/quote]

Okay I admit I forgot about Heaven and Hell! I will not be swayed on Mob Rules or anything since though. I suppose it just wasn't my type of rock that they moved to really.

As for Zep's last record, I know what you mean. Hotdog? I hated that. But over time I really grew to like Carosellalumbra, or whatever the title was. All of My Love also nice. I understand Pagey & Bonzo were on smack so Jonesey had to take over as musical director.

It's really between Zep 3 & In Through the Out Door as to which was their least good record. But hey, if you're worst was still real good, you ain't doin badly at all.
I only really like All My Love. The rest drives me nuts. The songs on Coda are much better. I certainly wouldn't bracket it with III which has the mighty Immigrant Song, Friends and That's the Way.

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
Exciter and Ultra are both excellent albums! I don't think they should be ashamed of them.

Also, Songs of Faith and Devotion is even considered a classic. It's one of their most successful albums and I'm sure they'd never wish they hadn't made it.
Ultra has Freestate on it. That's all I need to know I do honestly hate Songs of Faith and Devotion though - I try to ignore it as much as I can, and given how they never play any of it except the big two singles, I guess they probably don't like it much either.
Old August 3 2008, 03:04 PM   #72
Kail
Commodore

What? Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules are two of the greatest metal albums of all time!
Agreed! These two albums are metal classics!

State of Shock, yah. Had a George Harrison cover on it right?
Yes, "I want to tell you" and while it was a departure for Ted, it was great. IMO.

I'm very selective about the reality I accept.
Kail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2008, 02:31 AM   #73
voggmo
Commodore

Ted doesn't get much credit for his sensitive side, or shall we say mellower emotive musical expulsions.

Listen to Hibernation on Double Live Gonzo, or the Harrison track & one can see he is not as one dimensional as his detractors would have you believe. Sasha another I think. been awhile since I've listened to any Amboy Dukes stuff, Journey to the Center of the Mind excepted.
Old August 4 2008, 08:55 PM   #74
Garth Rockett
Commodore

Kail wrote: View Post
I submit Black Sabbath Eternal Idol
I'd put that in Sabbath's top five, personally.
Old August 5 2008, 03:44 AM   #75
voggmo
Commodore

It has a classic Tony riff at the intro to The Shining. Though not top 10 in his riff collection, still very good. Scarlet Pimpernel is reminiscent of Planet Caravan sort of thing.

As to Tony's top 10, oof top of my head, well here goes.

1.Iron Man
2.Paranoid
3.Heaven & Hell
4.Supernaut
5. Never Say Die
6.Symptom of the Universe
7.Mob Rules
8.Sweet leaf
9.Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
10. Emaculate deception

Honorable mention, N.I.B. & whatever else I missed