RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,266
Posts: 5,349,511
Members: 24,614
Currently online: 585
Newest member: robyn

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

True Trek History To Be Penned
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 29 2008, 03:54 PM   #31
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom
 
Peach Wookiee's Avatar
 
Location: Peach Wookiee
Re: Just watched Star Trek V The Final Frontier

He might've been.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2008, 06:26 AM   #32
dayxday1000
Lieutenant Commander
 
dayxday1000's Avatar
 
Re: Just watched Star Trek V The Final Frontier

I didn't like this movie.
dayxday1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2008, 06:58 AM   #33
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral
 
A beaker full of death's Avatar
 
Re: Just watched Star Trek V The Final Frontier

I have a cat!
__________________
"shall not be infringed" is naturally open to infringements of all kinds, because shut up and think of the children.
http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/...#ixzz2ImW0V3GV
A beaker full of death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2008, 09:29 PM   #34
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Just watched Star Trek V The Final Frontier

Squiggyfm wrote: View Post
It must really suck when you're written out of canon by your own brother.
But that's not what the line means. Spock has been more of a brother than Kirk's long-deceased real brother. That doesn't mean Kirk doesn't consider Sam to have been his brother, though.
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2008, 09:33 PM   #35
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Just watched Star Trek V The Final Frontier

brian wrote: View Post
why the writers forgot that the Vulcan suppression of emotion is trained, not bred.
Maybe Vulcan mothers mindmeld with their babies in the womb and that connection permits a cry-free birth?
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2008, 09:38 PM   #36
Brian
Vice Admiral
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Location: Brian
Re: Just watched Star Trek V The Final Frontier

Nice retcon!
__________________
Rut nga’chuq loDpu’, rut nga’chuq be’pu’. yiqimHa’!
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2008, 07:43 AM   #37
Josh_Lyman
Commander
 
Re: Just watched Star Trek V The Final Frontier

I liked TTF but I would not go out of my way to watch it.
Josh_Lyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2008, 05:18 AM   #38
Nedersong
Captain
 
Re: Just watched Star Trek V The Final Frontier

I like the movie, it wasn't a great one, not a bad one, but I give it a c.

However, Sybok was not being human. he was being more like a Romulan. or maybe a renegade Vulcan who fully embraced his emotions.
Nedersong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2008, 05:40 AM   #39
Josh_Lyman
Commander
 
Re: Just watched Star Trek V The Final Frontier

That was the point.


Nedersong wrote: View Post
I like the movie, it wasn't a great one, not a bad one, but I give it a c.

However, Sybok was not being human. he was being more like a Romulan. or maybe a renegade Vulcan who fully embraced his emotions.
Josh_Lyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2008, 07:45 AM   #40
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral
 
Haggis and tatties's Avatar
 
Location: Glasgow
Re: Just watched Star Trek V The Final Frontier

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I love "The Final Frontier". I love the plot, I love the actors/characters, I love the soundtrack. I have seen the movie literally hundreds of times, and I can always go back and enjoy it again. To each his own, though.

J.
What i love about this film is that it does seem to be the closet to a actual TOS episode in terms of character interaction.....anyway i love it also...one thing i can say about all the trek movies is that they are at least all very watchable for that 90mins plus that your in the mood for a Trek movie.....not bad for movies i have seen i don't know how many times.
__________________

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2008, 12:37 AM   #41
Atariboy
Commander
 
Re: Just watched Star Trek V The Final Frontier

A Trek film that feels like it was made on a shoestring budget. I enjoy alot of the characterizations, but stuff like passing through the galactic barrier in 20 seconds really bother me.
Atariboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2008, 03:38 AM   #42
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral
 
The Old Mixer's Avatar
 
Location: Connecticut
Re: Just watched Star Trek V The Final Frontier

Nedersong wrote: View Post
However, Sybok was not being human. he was being more like a Romulan. or maybe a renegade Vulcan who fully embraced his emotions.
Name a Romulan who was that jovial.
__________________
50 years ago on July 6: A Hard Day's Night premieres in London.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2008, 05:22 AM   #43
voggmo
Commodore
 
Re: Just watched Star Trek V The Final Frontier

Sybok was the Timothy Leary of his race. Any & every large group of people will have its standouts.
voggmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2008, 01:25 PM   #44
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral
 
The Old Mixer's Avatar
 
Location: Connecticut
Re: Just watched Star Trek V The Final Frontier

^On paper, he was exactly what you say. But the execution left much to be desired. We weren't seeing a Vulcan laugh. We were seeing a jovial human who just happened to be wearing pointed ears.

Think about the various times in TOS when Spock's emotions were let loose. There was always something creepy and disturbing about it. Perhaps because we were used to seeing Nimoy acting emotionally restrained. But that's how they should have cast Sybok--get somebody who's more introverted, and make them act extroverted. In casting somebody who came off as completely, naturally extroverted, they didn't sell the point.

A more intriguing way to portray a Vulcan who embraces his emotions would be to have him embrace negative emotions as well as positive ones. For the "villain" of the story, Sybok was unusually likeable. Imagine if they'd given him a pronounced negative side--had him flying off in rages with little provocation, that sort of thing. Show us that there's a reason that the Vulcans are so big about restraining their emotions, as TOS established.
__________________
50 years ago on July 6: A Hard Day's Night premieres in London.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2008, 01:49 PM   #45
trevanian
Rear Admiral
 
trevanian's Avatar
 
Re: Just watched Star Trek V The Final Frontier

Good points, but remember that the earliest Sybok versions had him carrying off a bloody attack, not a casualty-free one, and THEN they started turning him into less of a Khan-type.

As for the laughing ... If they'd cast Max Von Sydow as Sybok (which I think was an early intention), I think he'd have put across the oddness of a vulcan laugh (he can make almost anything effortless, but if you look at his King in CONAN, when that guy laughs it rings false, though that may be the work ethic faltering under the size of the paycheck.)

Klaus Maria Brandauer was I believe another early choice, and while he is awesome in MEPHISTO and keeps NEVER SAY NEVER from disintegrating completely, I don't know that his dimensions would have put across a Vulcan (a Luckinbill problem as well.)

Luckinbill has one moment that works for me (it is the key one) ... when Kirk calls him mad and he reflects a moment ... luckinbill really channels Sean Connery there, and it is unfortunate in a way because it always makes me see how it could have worked with Connery, because Connery is a good actor with star charisma, whereas Luckinbill is a good actor without it, playing onscreen against western world icons.

Last edited by trevanian; August 2 2008 at 01:50 PM. Reason: clarifications
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.