TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old August 1 2008, 05:48 PM   #16
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Re: 2008 Olympics!

apostle83 wrote: View Post
I personally am in love with the Winter Olympics - fell in love with them in '92 and '94 with the love duo of Kerrigan and Yamaguichi performing so well.

Of course, Lillehammer seemed so ideal a place for the Olympics, and they also showed people skiing around with guns on their backs.
I had such a crush on Brian Orser during the Calgary Olympics... (didn't know at the time that he's not into women, but who cares? Cute is cute.)

Regarding your Lillehammer comment... do you mean the event involving cross-country skiing and target shooting? Or something else?

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2008, 06:52 PM   #17
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

I'm interested in ladies' gymnastics. I want to see how much the commentators discuss, or if they discuss, the fact that two of the Chinese gymnasts are possibly only 14 years old.

The Chinese have produced passports saying they're both 16 (you have to turn 16 by the end of the calendar year in ladies gymnastics to compete at worlds and olympics) but these girls are likely not 16. One of the gymnasts is the top scorer in the world on uneven bars. The shit's gonna fly--I hope--if this ineligible gymnast wins. Her name's He Kexin. There's a youtube video of her at a competition last year in which the announcer, speaking Arabic, refers to her as "the 13 year old He Kexin." The other top scorer on uneven bars worldwide is an American girl, Nastia Liukin. She's 18 years old, 5'3" tall. This Chinese girl is much smaller and much lighter. The rules raised the age of eligibility for ladies by one year because the female gymnasts were becoming so tiny (the strenuous training delaying puberty); the temptation to keep them tiny is not good for them and so forth and so on. There's talk of raising it to 18, but for now it's 16.

There are other online listings for events He Kexin competed in before she made the olympic squad, listings stating that she's only 14. There are too many "misprints" here and there saying that she's only 14. Her birthdate has been listed as January 1, 1994 in too many places. Even China Daily, China's English language newspaper, accused this little girl of only being 14. It printed a retraction a few days later, but they may have been "encouraged" to print a retraction. China hasn't produced a birth certificate for her. Only a passport, which states her birthday is January 1, 1992. There's a second girl, Jiang Yuyuan, about whom similar questions have been raised. In all fairness, the second girl may be 16 (there isn't nearly as much evidence on her) but the first girl? Very doubtful she's 16. Gymnasts tend to be small, and Chinese gymnasts particularly so, but she's awfully little. The tinier the gymnast, the more advantage she has. China wants to win really bad since its gymnasts are competing at home, but this is as corrupt as doping. I don't blame the girl. It's not like she can refuse. China is China after all. Other countries can file an official complaint, but they'll never be able to prove it, and supposedly they fear retaliation by Chinese judges underscoring their own athletes. Nice, huh? I can see why people were upset that Beijing was awarded the games.

Chinese gymnasts too young?

But in a speech on Nov. 3, 2007, in the central city of Wuhan, Liu Peng, director of general administration of sport for China, said: ``The 13-year-old uneven-bar gymnast He Kexin, who defeated national team athlete Yang Yilin - she just won the bronze medal in the world championships - has demonstrated her ability.''
To be eligible for the Cities Games where Liu made his remarks, Chinese documents show athletes must be over 13, but under 15. ...

He Kexin--16 years old?

He Kexin 2008

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2008, 12:52 AM   #18
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Timewalker wrote: View Post
Yes, but what if you accidentally hear the results in the meantime? I nearly slapped a taxi driver into the next century because he blabbed the results of the men's figure skating finals to me before I'd seen the nightly replay. After I knew the results, I had no interest in actually watching it.
I think it's funny you had a taxi driver who admitted to watching the men's figure skating finals.
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2008, 01:50 AM   #19
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Yes, but what if you accidentally hear the results in the meantime? I nearly slapped a taxi driver into the next century because he blabbed the results of the men's figure skating finals to me before I'd seen the nightly replay. After I knew the results, I had no interest in actually watching it.
I think it's funny you had a taxi driver who admitted to watching the men's figure skating finals.
He hadn't seen them on TV, he heard the results on the radio. This was one of the times when the Olympics was in some time zone halfway across the world and over half a dozen time zones away from here (Lillehammer, I think).

And it's not so weird that a male taxi driver would watch men's figure skating, if there were any serious medal contenders. There was that year (Kurt Browning), but sadly Browning always choked at Olympics finals. I haven't paid much attention in recent years, but men's figure skating is a lot more masculine than it used to be -- much more athletic since the Canadians pioneered the quadruple jumps in competition.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2008, 02:05 AM   #20
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

My parents were all ready to go. They were really psyched about going. And now, almost at the last minute, they find that they can't go.

This is because my stepmom recently developed severe back pain. And so my dad, suspicious (IMHO, understandably so) about the state of Chinese medicine and not wanting to entrust her health to it in case the pain flared up again while over there - decided not to go.

Me, I personally don't care about the Olympics. I may watch the opening ceremonies, but that'd be it. I'm just sad that my parents had to cut their trip short because of something like this, because I know how much they wanted to go.

But in the end I suppose it's for the best; better that they stay home, where they know they can treat my stepmom's back pain if something goes wrong (they've never been to China before, they don't speak a single word of Chinese, and so are understandably skeptical about what would happen if she'd needed medical attention while there).

And given the state of China itself these days... Linky...I confess I wouldn't really want my parents going there even if back pain wasn't even an issue for them.

Last edited by Rķu rķu, chķu; August 2 2008 at 02:22 AM.
Rķu rķu, chķu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2008, 02:54 AM   #21
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

As much as I can't wait for the actual games, I have a lot of issues with how these games might go. For political reasons and the whole climate, and pullution, I don't think the US should be sending anyone there. I've seen pictures of Bejing and it makes LA on a bad day look like paradise. Also, given what happened with the Torch Run (And it happened here in San Francisco which I still think was a stain on the city) I have a ton of concerns. I hope these games go off without a hitch, but I have a scary feeling something will happen.

Last edited by FelizNavidad; August 2 2008 at 03:06 AM.
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2008, 03:04 AM   #22
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

So do I, unfortunately. Munich was quite enough for me.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old August 2 2008, 03:08 AM   #23
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

I also find myself feeling glad that the next two Olympics will be hosted in Canada (2010 Winter) and the UK (2012 Summer).
Old August 2 2008, 06:58 AM   #24
Roger Wilco
Admiral

And it's not so weird that a male taxi driver would watch men's figure skating, if there were any serious medal contenders. There was that year (Kurt Browning), but sadly Browning always choked at Olympics finals. I haven't paid much attention in recent years, but men's figure skating is a lot more masculine than it used to be -- much more athletic since the Canadians pioneered the quadruple jumps in competition.
It always was very athletic, despite the costumes and all that.
Old August 2 2008, 05:24 PM   #25
Bad Bishop
Rear Admiral

I'm most interested in the basketball. I think the USA will take the Gold this time. They have too much talent and motivation this year.

Does anyone think that the Chinese basketball team has a chance to win a bronze? Or are they still too far behind the Americans and European nations in terms of basketball prowess?
Old August 4 2008, 01:40 AM   #26
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Now there's a question as to whether a third female Chinese gymnast is too young to compete.

Age eligibility question with third Chinese gymnast

That's half of China's team.

Old August 4 2008, 03:05 AM   #27
Garrovick

I'm going to delete NBC from my TV for the duration.

I'll get the updates from the net ...
Old August 7 2008, 01:28 AM   #28
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

I'm watching archery for my hometown hero (I was this close to meeting her too!) and maybe volleyball to practice stating games.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2008, 03:08 AM   #29
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

I found this interesting, but I think yet again with the Olympics due to start in around 33 hours:-
Battle between Australian and British Sports Ministers over Games medal tally

AUSTRALIAN Sports Minister Kate Ellis has thrown down the gauntlet to her British counterpart, telling him to put his money where his mouth is.

Ms Ellis is challenging British Sports Minister Gerry Sutcliffe to a bet after his government declared that Britain would beat Australia in the Olympic medal tally in Beijing.

Source
Bring it on ... as like previous years, we will beat you.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2008, 03:28 AM   #30
Azlynn
Rear Admiral

You need our CBC coverage. Any event where the Canadians have a medal contender or even just a participant are covered live. And it's not only Canadian participants -- any event with well-known or interesting athletes tends to get covered live.
You mean our utterly useless CBC coverage? The bastards who put entire events entirely on digital cable, beyond the reach of most Canadians? Don't talk to me about those bastards.

I'm going to have to find an internet stream to be able to watch pretty much ANY show jumping coverage - it's all on a digital channel. If anyone knows of streams that Canadians can actually watch, I'd love to hear about them.

I'm all about the show jumping. I saw the Canadian and Mexican teams competing around a month ago (at Spruce Meadows), and I think it's going to be quite the competition. My money is on a battle between the US and Germany for Gold, with the Dutch for bronze.

In individual, I'm all about Eric Lamaze and Hickstead for gold, yes, that Eric Lamaze, previously banned from Olympics. And I'm proud he's representing Canada. For silver and bronze, I'd love to see Nick Skeleton, but realistically I'm thinking someone Dutch or German, probably a Beerbaum! Beezie Madden is my dark horse pick to pull out a medal.
Azlynn is offline   Reply With Quote