Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old July 29 2008, 04:24 PM   #76
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Re: Greater Than The Sum Review *** POTENTIAL SPOILERS ***

Christopher, is the "Konya" you mention Rennan Konya from the SCE books? If so-- .
Old July 29 2008, 04:56 PM   #77
Christopher
Writer

Yes, it is.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2008, 06:38 PM   #78
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Very cool. I like most of the SCE characters and really hope that they all find a new home somewhere.
Old July 30 2008, 07:10 AM   #79
fleetcaptain
Fleet Captain

View fleetcaptain's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to fleetcaptain Send a message via Yahoo to fleetcaptain

I have to say I'm liking Trys myself so far. She's a bit of a different character we really haven't seen before. I think, am I right?
fleetcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2008, 09:46 PM   #80
Baerbel Haddrell
Commodore

fleetcaptain wrote: View Post
I have to say I'm liking Trys myself so far. She's a bit of a different character we really haven't seen before. I think, am I right?
I have just started the book and I am really enjoying myself. It is very early days but I already like Trys. She is fun.
Old July 30 2008, 11:19 PM   #81
JD
Admiral

I finally got the book(!!!), and after reading about it here I decided to go ahead and start it instead of trying to finish reading Before Dishonor (which I haven't like on my second attempt anymore than I did on my first). I'm only a few pages into it, but I'm already liking Trys.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2008, 04:26 AM   #82
Julio Angel Ortiz
Fleet Captain

I have written up a review on my site:

http://julioangelortiz.livejournal.com/277499.html

In short: yeah, Christopher has another winner on this hands.
Old July 31 2008, 07:43 AM   #83
fleetcaptain
Fleet Captain

View fleetcaptain's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to fleetcaptain Send a message via Yahoo to fleetcaptain

Julio Angel Ortiz wrote: View Post

He sure does. I'm almost finished myself. I'm in the middle of Chapter 11 right now. Hopefully I will finish tomorrow or friday. Just the long wait til Destiny. Grr...
fleetcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2008, 01:26 PM   #84
Christopher
Writer

Julio Angel Ortiz wrote: View Post

Thanks for the review! I really appreciate it.

Old August 1 2008, 08:09 AM   #85
Dancing Doctor
Admiral

Location: At the Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound
View Dancing Doctor's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dancing Doctor

I'm on page 115, and that little bit I've read has been better than the entirety of Before Dishonor and Resistance.

Also, the Mabrae are back! I *loved* seeing them here, even for the small bit that they were. I loved what you had done with them in The Buried Age, and I loved that they're back.

I was waffling a bit about Trys, but I have to admit, she's one of my favorite characters so far. Quirky, but in a believable way (believable considering that the Star Trek universe isn't exactly real...yet). Part of why she's so fascinating is that she's almost Spock's complete opposite, on the surface.

It's still a bit too early to say whether or not you've redeemed the TNG Relaunch, but the signs are definitely promising.

Loyal member of the Militant Janeway True Path Devotees
Dancing Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2008, 01:49 PM   #86
Christopher
Writer

Valeris wrote: View Post
Also, the Mabrae are back! I *loved* seeing them here, even for the small bit that they were. I loved what you had done with them in The Buried Age, and I loved that they're back.
I hadn't planned on using them again, but they just happened to be in the direction the Enterprise was going.

It's still a bit too early to say whether or not you've redeemed the TNG Relaunch, but the signs are definitely promising.
Thanks!

Old August 1 2008, 05:33 PM   #87
Dancing Doctor
Admiral

Location: At the Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound
View Dancing Doctor's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dancing Doctor

I haven't been this excited about finishing a TNG Relaunch book since Q&A.

One thing I'm appreciating about GttS is how the science is kept at a fairly understandable level, something you've done in most (if not all) of your books.

(I also have to admit thinking Awww.... during that entire scene between Geordi and Dina.)

Loyal member of the Militant Janeway True Path Devotees
Dancing Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2008, 08:47 PM   #88
tenmei
Fleet Captain

I managed to grab this from a store in Canada before my flight and whilst the info-dumping came off a tad awkward in the first couple of chapters, once the ship got onto the mission I began enjoying the mission more. Christopher, you advised me to read the book before I commented on the cast shake up - and, now, halfway through the novel, I have to say that whilst the story is good, I think that it would have been nice to see T'Lana remain onboard the Enterprise. Partly because she had an interesting dynamic with Picard (and the fact that Worf's subconscious attraction to her was more fun than his attraction to Jasminder) and partly because I think it would have been interesting to see Trys react against such a character as T'Lana.

The one thing that annoys me is that, at times, when Trys is in a scene some of the other characters are made to look like idiots just to make her look clever - and I'm not sure this was completely necessary, or if it was, necessary to the extent that it was done.

I also realised, after the above-mentioned (and, in-novel-mentioned) thing about the Enterprise crew being female heavy - it's also "Asian" Ancestry Heavy. Choudhry (Indian), Elfiki (Egyptian), Kadohata (Japanese), T'Rys (Japanese) and Joanna Faur (Israeli ?) which is kinda pretty cool too.

I may be wrong about Faur but an internet search reveals Faur seems to be a popular Israeli surname.
Old August 1 2008, 09:00 PM   #89
DeeEss57
Lieutenant

JD wrote: View Post
I finally got the book(!!!)
Me too. And I read the entire thing yesterday. Took six hours. Couldn't put it down!

I enjoyed the story and I'm getting to like the new crew. They're beginning to mesh well with one another and Picard. Had to feel sorry for Picard, though. Here is he trying to deal with another Borg incursion and new senior staff and Beverly is all over him about procreation. Burdens of command, I suppose.

I liked Necheyev's apology, it was definitely in the vein of TNG. I think a lot of TNG fans don't like her much because on the series she came across rather cold and demanding. But she had a job to do, too, and I don't think she really enjoyed the more unpleasant aspects of her job. Thanks for lightening her up, Christopher!

Guinan's anger towards Picard sort of caught me by surprise. But she never did mince words with anyone, let alone Picard. And he needed the kick in the ass. I guess Guinan was the only one who could get away with that.

The battle tactics of Choudhury was pretty inventive, I thought. I liked it. Using one's head instead of overwhelming force. Kinda cool!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading the Destiny series and, finally (I hope) putting the Borg to rest. And, then, getting on to seeing the new crew dealing with other things.

DES
Save one life and you're a hero.
Save 230 million and you're a Starfleet officer.
DeeEss57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2008, 09:28 PM   #90
SiorX
Fleet Captain

Just wanted to stick my head in and say how much I enjoyed this book. I didn't have the highest expectations in the world (no reflection intended on you, Christopher. I hadn't actually read any of your previous books, since I really only read Next Gen novelisations). I was really pleasantly surprised.

One of the things I was a bit skeptical about was the Picard & Crusher storyline. There's always a danger that when you pair up two characters, and one of them's the focus of most stories, the other just becomes fodder for emotional angst - the generic wife'n'kid whose pictures the hero can carry around and anguish over. (One thing I've really liked about the relaunch has been the extra page time Crusher's gotten as a character in her own right. I think there's still a great deal of potential there, and I'd hate to see that get lost in the shuffle.)

Of course, we don't know yet how that's going to play out in later books, but I like the way it was handled here. What I got from Picard's story arc was that he had to learn to nip those tendencies in the bud. If later books give us a Picard who remembers this lesson, then I think GttS's set their story on an excellent trajectory for proving Picard doesn't have to be a lone wolf to be a hero, and that his family don't have to be a liability. Not to mention making the Crusher-Picard dynamic an interesting new heart to the crew's interaction.

I was also a bit wary when I read this thread and heard Trys described. Spunky young girl with a wacky sense of humour and a problem with authority sets off all my alarm bells in Star Trek, because nobody does an obnoxious Mary Sues quite like Trek. That's why it pays to withold judgement, because she ended up being one of my favourite things in the book; likable without being irritating. I enjoyed her very much. She's a total tonic to the stick-up-arse syndrome to which so many Starfleet officers are prone. I do hope future books can keep her on the endearing side of exasperating though. GttS managed it; it lays down the gauntlet to the next set of books to do the same.

In fact, I really love the new crew. I feel like we're going forward into the next round of the relaunch with a set of characters about whom I'm really interested in learning more. Hope we're in it for the long haul with them this time 'round.

I did notice this book had a lot of work to do in meshing together the previous relaunch books into a coherent starting point for what's to come. There were, I think, some serious holes that needed to be darned, and that wasn't an enviable task. In that sense, it did feel like a bridging work. But one that made me very hopeful for what's to come.
SiorX is offline   Reply With Quote