RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,911
Posts: 5,331,076
Members: 24,558
Currently online: 533
Newest member: laurah2215

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Inquisition
By: Michelle on Jul 12

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 30 2008, 09:59 PM   #16
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: ST XI badge??

T'Cal wrote: View Post
The stripes on Kirk's shirt are the wrong material and rank... hers is sciences but on a gold shirt, the opposite of Spock's. I take it this was some publicity photo for TV Guide or similar. Is that correct?
The Shatner/Nimoy/Rand shots were the first wave of publicity stills for TOS.

Shatner is wearing Pike's shirt from "The Cage" (the wide stripes were supposedly gold-painted elastic bands from the Desilu mail room) and Grace is wearing Dr Dehner's uniform pants from WNMHGB.

Not long after this session, Grace and William Ware Theiss had their conversation about how to best show off Rand's femininity and Grace Lee Whitney's best attributes: her legs. And the Starfleet skant was born. (One thigh of the uniform was wrapped with material, to prevent the mini riding up.)
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2008, 11:56 PM   #17
Stag
Rear Admiral
 
Stag's Avatar
 
Location: Central Florida
Re: ST XI badge??

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
...Shatner is wearing Pike's shirt from "The Cage" (the wide stripes were supposedly gold-painted elastic bands from the Desilu mail room) ...
Therin, I think you might be in error. I believe Kirk is wearing the uniform from the 2nd pilot. Pike had one stripe and everyone else had none or one as well, if I recall correctly. In the 2nd pilot, Kirk had two and other officers had a single gold band.

EDIT: Nevermind Therin, we are both incorrect. In looking at the picture again, the shirt has the black collar and correct 'command-track' color of the production uniforms. In neither pilot did the uniforms have the black collars. It is some darn hybrid uniform. I also love the velvety look of Spock's uniform. Looks like he 's big pimpin'!
__________________
"Guess I picked the wrong week to quit smokin!"

Last edited by Stag; July 31 2008 at 12:01 AM.
Stag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2008, 01:34 PM   #18
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: ST XI badge??

Stag wrote: View Post
Nevermind Therin, we are both incorrect. In looking at the picture again, the shirt has the black collar and correct 'command-track' color of the production uniforms. In neither pilot did the uniforms have the black collars. It is some darn hybrid uniform.
I'm sure I remember Grace Lee Whitney mentioning it was Pike's shirt, but altered.

Spock's looks like velour. The velour turned out to shrink, not just with the first wash, but with every wash.

In any case, they are "screen test" uniforms, hastily cobbled together for the first series promo pics.
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2008, 03:36 PM   #19
Stag
Rear Admiral
 
Stag's Avatar
 
Location: Central Florida
Re: ST XI badge??

Thanks for the info.

Spock's diggin' the velour he is rockin' ... check out the smirk on his face ...LOL.

I know he's thinking ..."Velour baby ... that's how this Vulcan rolls, bitches!!"
__________________
"Guess I picked the wrong week to quit smokin!"
Stag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2008, 10:58 PM   #20
Nedersong
Captain
 
Re: ST XI badge??

If they're going with the original velour, they're going to have a hard time with the material. The original uniforms were made of velour and they had problems with this shrinking, and they had to be altered a lot so they'd fit the actors.
Nedersong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2008, 11:04 PM   #21
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: ST XI badge??

Nedersong wrote: View Post
If they're going with the original velour, they're going to have a hard time with the material. The original uniforms were made of velour and they had problems with this shrinking, and they had to be altered a lot so they'd fit the actors.
I just said that. I was referring to the publicity still of a post-WNMHGB, pre-Corbomite Nimoy above.
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2008, 11:08 PM   #22
Dale
Vice Admiral
 
Dale's Avatar
 
Location: Mt. Baldy, CA
Re: ST XI badge??

It seems Trekmovie has confirmed that the delta shiled insignia will indeed be in pin form in the new movie. Whether the lumpen mess advertised in the link provided by the OP is authentic is quite another matter.

It also seems that the new unis will have a subtle delta shield design woven into the fabric... I wonder how hard it's going to be to get ahold of that stuff, costumers!
__________________
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. - 2 Timothy 4:3
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2008, 03:24 AM   #23
FatherRob
Rear Admiral
 
FatherRob's Avatar
 
Location: Citizen of the Kingdom of God (Living in Bargersville, IN)
Re: ST XI badge??

Dale Hoppert wrote: View Post
It also seems that the new unis will have a subtle delta shield design woven into the fabric... I wonder how hard it's going to be to get ahold of that stuff, costumers!
This is the part I hate. I do NOT like the 'subtle delta shield' design.

BLECH!

Rob+
__________________
"Purity in doctrine... Compassion in application."
FatherRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2008, 04:27 AM   #24
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: ST XI badge??

Have you seen it?
__________________
Dinosaurs are just really, really big chickens.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2008, 04:50 AM   #25
Dale
Vice Admiral
 
Dale's Avatar
 
Location: Mt. Baldy, CA
Re: ST XI badge??

In blown-up versions of the Saldana Uhura pic you can, apparently, just barely make it out.
__________________
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. - 2 Timothy 4:3
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2008, 05:38 AM   #26
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: ST XI badge??

Dale Hoppert wrote: View Post
In blown-up versions of the Saldana Uhura pic you can, apparently, just barely make it out.
Hmm, looking at the images available online at TrekMovie.com and at StarTrekMovie.com, I can tell that the fabric has a certain texture to it, rather than being a completely smooth weave or knit, but that is all I'm able to tell. Those blown-up versions must be a lot larger than anything I've seen.

Still, I think it looks fine, and would even if it were not adorning Zoe Saldana. Fabric has never been that big a deal to me, though, and certainly not anything I'd get anywhere close to hating unless it was unspeakably hideous in some way I'm not sure I could even imagine.
__________________
Dinosaurs are just really, really big chickens.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2008, 06:11 AM   #27
TeutonicNights
Commander
 
TeutonicNights's Avatar
 
Location: Non-isotropic cosmos
Re: ST XI badge??

No WNMHGB uniforms- REBOOT CONFIRMED!!!
*runs*
TeutonicNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2008, 06:52 AM   #28
Dale
Vice Admiral
 
Dale's Avatar
 
Location: Mt. Baldy, CA
Re: ST XI badge??

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Dale Hoppert wrote: View Post
In blown-up versions of the Saldana Uhura pic you can, apparently, just barely make it out.
Hmm, looking at the images available online at TrekMovie.com and at StarTrekMovie.com, I can tell that the fabric has a certain texture to it, rather than being a completely smooth weave or knit, but that is all I'm able to tell. Those blown-up versions must be a lot larger than anything I've seen.

Still, I think it looks fine, and would even if it were not adorning Zoe Saldana. Fabric has never been that big a deal to me, though, and certainly not anything I'd get anywhere close to hating unless it was unspeakably hideous in some way I'm not sure I could even imagine.
Dig this link. It'll probably reduce itself once it finishes building to fit inside your browser window, but you can expand it again by clicking the button in the lower, right-hand corner. Check out Zoe's shoulder and it'll all become clear to you.
__________________
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. - 2 Timothy 4:3
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2008, 07:02 AM   #29
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: ST XI badge??

Dale Hoppert wrote: View Post
Dig this link. It'll probably reduce itself once it finishes building to fit inside your browser window, but you can expand it again by clicking the button in the lower, right-hand corner. Check out Zoe's shoulder and it'll all become clear to you.
Okay, I see what you mean; I can just make it out in one small spot. That's pretty subtle.
__________________
Dinosaurs are just really, really big chickens.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2008, 07:11 AM   #30
Jon1701
Rear Admiral
 
Jon1701's Avatar
 
Location: Manchester, UK
Re: ST XI badge??

I wonder if its really on the fabric, or whether one of the marketing types at paramount has subtly photoshopped it in.

I mean, it'll never show up onscreen.
__________________
www.moviebreadbin.com
Movie reviews sponsored by that toupee that Patrick Stewart had sent over from London that time.
Jon1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.