Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old July 31 2008, 06:54 PM   #601
GilmourD
Lieutenant Commander

Re: USS Grandeur - One... More... Time!

Cary L. Brown wrote: View Post
Let me be the first to say it... once you finish this off, get it turned into a high-resolution STL format file and get someone who does castings make copies of the stereolithographic master. I'd recommend something about 12" to 14" in length, max... which ever "standard scale" that best fits to.

I'd buy it. I'm sure a lot of other folks would go to Federation Models (or wherever) and do the same.
Same here. It would go on the same shelf as all the ships designed by Matt Jeffries, Andy Probert, and Rick Sternbach.
GilmourD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2008, 08:36 PM   #602
Vektor
Rear Admiral

As I believe has been mentioned, REL has offered to do a physical model of the Grandeur when I finally get it finished, so those of you who want one will eventually get your chance.

If you don't know who REL is, do a search for his postings here on TrekBBS or as REL777 over at Scifi-Meshes.com.
Old August 1 2008, 04:26 AM   #603
ncc-1017-e
Captain

^ I love your work with this, but I would love to see a physical model done of TOS Enterprise you have been working on! As I have said before your work and creativity is just outstanding! Your understanding of Star trek art direction is first class!
Old August 1 2008, 09:31 PM   #604
CaptainRoop
Lieutenant

Yes the Citizen/the Commander has already been in contact with Rel and unless something changes between now and then, we will be getting physical models done in fiberglass. More will be coming on that in the near future.

I have had polls out on how many would be interested in purchasing a model of the ship when ready.

http://www.sextondesign.net/grandeur...deur_poll.html
CaptainRoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2008, 08:04 AM   #605
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Been working on more detailing, mostly around the saucer impulse engines, but I've also been tweaking the contours on the underside of the saucer a bit. Some of these parts still need to be lined up, seams closed, etc. so don't mind the imperfections too much.

Old August 9 2008, 09:19 AM   #606
Jon1701
Rear Admiral

That angle is awesome. I've always loved seeing Starships from that angle.

Very TMP.
Old August 12 2008, 07:56 PM   #607
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Well, Iíve hit a bit of a snag. Iíve been working on detailing the underside of the saucer and in the process Iíve discovered that I didnít plan ahead very well in structural terms. Both the top and bottom sides have a number of features that are supposed to align with the implied radial and concentric structural members of the saucer, but I have never previously worked out exactly what the configuration of those structural members are. As a consequence, the details on the upper and lower saucer surfaces failed to magically line up as I had been hoping they would since I first realized it could be a problem.

Now, I could fudge things just enough to connect the dots, so to speak, and hope that nobody notices that certain details are a little off or slightly askew, but I have a really hard time cutting those kinds of corners after all the work Iíve put into this thing. The alternative is to basically erase most of the radial details on the saucer and rebuild them in a way that lines up with a unified internal structure. Some of the larger parts and pieces might have to be adjusted as well. Ultimately, the amount of work required is what scientists and engineers like to call ďnon-trivial.Ē Itís a significant step backward in order to move forward, which is the kind of thing I was really hoping to avoid at this late date. I swear, sometimes I wonder if Iím gonna have to leave this project to my descendants to finish.

Anyway, I have pretty much made up my mind that if itís worth doing then itís worth doing right, so I started the detail removal process last night. In most cases, I can go back to earlier iterations of the model and steal the pieces I need, but I canít do it wholesale because there are a lot of other modifications of the same parts that I need to keep. Itís actually going more quickly than I expected, if I can just figure out a structural configuration that will work with all of the design requirements Iím trying to satisfy.

One bit of good fortune in all of this is that it gives me the opportunity to fix something else that has been bugging me. Iíve been thinking for a while that the gridlines were too wide and too deep for a ship this size, to the point where they actually detract from its sense of scale. Since Iím redoing most of the gridlines anyway, I figure I might as well scale them down a little bit. Of course, that means I will have to redo ALL of the gridlines, including the ones on the warp nacelles, but in for a penny, in for a pound.

At least you will all know what to expect in the next set of WIP images, but donít count on seeing them before next weekend.
Old August 12 2008, 08:56 PM   #608
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Vektor wrote: View Post
Well, Iíve hit a bit of a snag.
AAAAAH!
Old August 12 2008, 10:23 PM   #609
Ghostface1701
Commander

I don't envy the work you've got ahead, Vektor, but you're doing the right thing. I really believe that this will one of the most carefully and well constructed ships we've seen since Probert's Enterprise-D, and I love watching it take shape.

Take all the time you need (but be quick about it )
Ghostface1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2008, 10:54 AM   #610
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Vektor, your integrity is admirable. Two thumbs up, man!

I'd love to see shots of the new work in progress, even if it does look a little like scrolling back to the beginning of this thread. I had similar difficulties with a fictional wet-navy ship I'm working on right now ... I went back to scratch on a number of pieces and might yet go back again at a future date because it still isn't working out the way I'd like.
Psion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2008, 01:32 AM   #611
RoJoHen
Awesome

jon1701 wrote: View Post
That angle is awesome. I've always loved seeing Starships from that angle.
He likes to dock in the aft shuttlebay.
Old August 14 2008, 02:50 PM   #612
ninetofive
Lieutenant

What software package are you using, Vektor? Studiotools, Maya, Rhino?
ninetofive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2008, 07:02 PM   #613
Rally_man
Captain

Thanks for the heads up!
Old August 15 2008, 04:13 AM   #614
Vektor
Rear Admiral

ninetofive wrote: View Post
What software package are you using, Vektor? Studiotools, Maya, Rhino?
3ds Max 2009.
Old August 15 2008, 03:46 PM   #615
Icy_Penguigo
Captain

Vektor, have you ever written any tutorials for 3Dmax? I've been using it for a few years, but I am still a total novice compared to you. Just wondering if you've passed on your knowledge in any form.

http://www.starfleetgames.com/federation/
Icy_Penguigo is offline   Reply With Quote