Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old July 27 2008, 06:35 AM   #16
Andrew Harris
Writer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Harris
Re: IDW Trek comics plans for '08-'09

Heya, to answer a few questions:

Star Trek: The Last Generation is a "Myriad Universes" miniseries, but because the words sound so similar I think the Newsarama writer misheard the announcement and identified it as a "Mirror Universe" story by accident. As mentioned, it'll have full "Myriad Universes" trade dress, and will include excerpts from the novels and other cool stuff.

The story involves the collapse of the Khitomer Conference peace talks after the success of the assassination conspiracy, leading to open war between the Federation and the Klingon Empire. But, because the Klingons are in a war for their very survival, they fight even more ferociously the before, ending ultimately with their conquest of Earth. Now, seven decades after the events of Star Trek VI--at about the same time as the early TNG seasons--Jean-Luc Picard leads an underground resistance against the Empire, as the Klingons' Terran warlord closes in and the situation for the rebellion grows increasingly more dangerous.

It'll also prominently feature Sulu on the Excelsior (which I love), and while it doesn't directly follow the same timeline as "Yesterday's Enterprise", expect to see characters like Rachel Garrett and other surprises throughout.

I should mention that the folks over at Pocket Books have been absolutely stellar (no pun intended) to work with, and this kind of crossover is something that we were talking about with them since my early days as IDW's Trek editor, so it's great to finally see it come about. Peter David's New Frontier series was sort of testing the waters for that, and it did extremely well, so I believe new Trek editor Andy Schmidt is interested in continuing the trend.

I should also mention: Interior art for The Last Generation will be handled by the inestimable fan-favorite Gordon Purcell, who's been drawing Trek for I don't even know how long, and most recently did the excellent Star Trek: Year Four series from D.C. Fontana. He's also the one who did the art on the original Star Trek VI movie adaptation with Peter David from way back when, so getting him do the art on this new series that spins out from that is just cool for me beyond belief.

For covers, I think some of that is still in the works, but you'll probably see something from Joe Corroney, who's been doing all sorts of fantastic covers for IDW's Trek line, as well as at least one from JK Woodward, the artist on Peter David's Fallen Angel series, who's got one of the covers for the first issue already finished. He took an idea that I suggested to him and absolutely knocked it out of the park, and I'll post it online here when IDW officially releases the artwork.
Andrew Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2008, 07:06 AM   #17
ncc71877
Fleet Captain

Welcome Mr. Harris, nice of you to drop by our neck of the net. I've really been enjoying the comics, "Mirror Images" had the best first issue. Looking forward to the stuff coming up.

ncc71877
ncc71877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2008, 08:26 AM   #18
Saul
Rear Admiral

I haven't been about to read the Romulan series yet, will they be collected into one volume later on? since i can't buy them over here.
Old July 27 2008, 08:33 AM   #19
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

saul wrote: View Post
I haven't been about to read the Romulan series yet, will they be collected into one volume later on? since i can't buy them over here.
All the IDW mini-series have been collected into graphic novel-style omnibuses about two months after the final issue of a title comes out.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2008, 02:16 PM   #20
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Christopher wrote: View Post
^^How do you mask Opera as Firefox?
That one's easy.

Go to a website, like Newsarama, for instance.

Right click. On the context menu, go down to "Edit Site Preferences."

In the window that opens, select the Network tab. You'll see a dropdown with the label "Browser Identification."

You have five options. Identify as Opera, IE, or Firefox, plus Mask as IE or Firefox. (The difference between the two is that "Identify" still leaves "Opera" in the User Agent your browser sends out. "Mask" takes it out." The thing is, some websites still pick out the "Opera," even though the User Agent looks like it's not Opera when you identify as something else. "Mask" is generally safer.)

And you can do this on a site-by-site basis.

And why would websites deliberately deny content to certain browsers?
That's a very good question.

In some cases, it's laziness on the part of web developers; it's easier to make sure your site works with the Big Two -- IE and Firefox -- than with browsers with a much smaller market share, like Safari and Opera. Hell, there's one feature in WordPress (the blogging software I use) that the WordPress software used to do a browser sniff for, and then wouldn't render on screen for Opera users. Fortunately, I never needed that function (it was the "Press It!" bookmarklet), so it never bothered me.

In the specific case of Opera, there were websites that treated Opera differently because it was, until a few years ago, ad-supported shareware. (You could use a free version, but it came with ad banners. If you paid, the ad banners went away. Shareware.) Given the rise in ads on websites over the past few years, there were webmasters who didn't like that their websites had to compete with the browser, and thus there were websites that reacted poorly to Opera. Now, Opera isn't ad-supported, but it has a robust ad blocking feature, and there seem to be websites that react badly to that. Can't win for trying, I suppose.

As for Newsarama browsing sniffing and then serving different pages, it looks like a case of poor coding more than anything. (Newsarama's poor performance with Opera made Newsarama's Wikipedia page recently. Of all the things to add to a Wiki page, that seems like small potatoes, which is probably why it was removed.)
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2008, 02:46 PM   #21
Christopher
Writer

I masked as Firefox, but I'm still not getting comments on Newsarama. Not that I usually read comments anyway...

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2008, 08:02 PM   #22
Andrew Harris
Writer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Harris

ncc71877 wrote: View Post
Welcome Mr. Harris, nice of you to drop by our neck of the net. I've really been enjoying the comics, "Mirror Images" had the best first issue. Looking forward to the stuff coming up.

ncc71877
I've actually been around here for quite a while, but recently changed my I.D. when I left IDW's editing throne to freelance full time. Glad you like "Mirror Images"--Los Bros. Tiptons have done a great job on the entire series, and I think David Messina's art has never looked better.

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
saul wrote: View Post
All the IDW mini-series have been collected into graphic novel-style omnibuses about two months after the final issue of a title comes out.
I think Byrne's Romulans series might be handled slightly differently, since (as I understand the plan) he won't be doing five issues straight, but will be breaking it up after two issues to do a different Star Trek series. After he's done with that, he'll apparently resume the Romulans tale for three more issues (which is a separate, self-contained story that follows the two-issue series); and then, all five Romulan issues will be collected together in one omnibus, probably two or three months after the final issue appears.
Andrew Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2008, 08:09 PM   #23
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

View KRAD's Twitter Profile

On the one hand, having to wait until early 2009 for Alien Spotlight II is frustrating. OTOH, it'll likely come out around the same time as A Singular Destiny, so it's a big self-promotion feast!

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2008, 09:00 PM   #24
Omega Particle
Lieutenant

Seeing IDW going strong, expanding the line in some interesting directions and coordinating their efforts more with Pocket Books has encouraged me to sample some of their product. Got my first IDW TBP on order, and I'm looking forward to receiving it!
Old July 28 2008, 11:34 PM   #25
JD
Admiral

Which one is it?
Old July 29 2008, 12:17 AM   #26
Steve Roby
Commodore

If it's The Space Between, don't worry, they get better.
Steve Roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2008, 02:14 AM   #27
historypeats
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Schmidt's plans sound very ambitious and intriguing. It's great to see Trek comics going strong once again, and I love the greater ties with Pocket's Trek fiction program.

I'm not an especially strong follower of comics, but I'm a rabid Pocket enthusiast. The series/issues where IDW has tried to link its work to Pocket's (such as the New Frontier mini-series) have been the ones that convinced me to take the plunge every so often, and I'll be buying any comics that legitimately relate to/fit into the same framework as the novels.

Short version: IDW + Pocket = Profit
historypeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2008, 02:17 AM   #28
historypeats
Rear Admiral

Steve Roby wrote: View Post
Good, because I tried two issues of The Space Between and stopped buying after that. Any recommendations in particular?
Old July 29 2008, 02:20 AM   #29
historypeats
Rear Admiral

To Andrew: Thanks for reassuring the crowd at the Comic-Con panel about the forthcoming Trek movie. Personally, I'm excited to see new people playing in the Star Trek sandbox; a similar infusion of new blood into the fiction line roughly a decade ago led to the Golden Age of TrekLit, and I'm optimistic Abrams and Co. will work similar wonders. After all, we've had forty years of Trek; if Abrams decides to change something in ways I don't like, it's not like I don't have an abundance of other Trek material to enjoy.
Old July 29 2008, 02:48 AM   #30
foravalon
Fleet Captain

historypeats wrote: View Post
Steve Roby wrote: View Post
Good, because I tried two issues of The Space Between and stopped buying after that. Any recommendations in particular?
I'm really sorry to say it but anything not written by David Tischman comes highly recommended. I've been blown away by almost everything Trek that IDW has put out to date, but the writing in both The Space Between and the first 6 issues of TOS Year Four was just atrocious.
foravalon is offline   Reply With Quote