Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old July 27 2008, 08:09 PM   #46
JD
Admiral

Re: Greater Than The Sum Review *** POTENTIAL SPOILERS ***

HappyDayRiot wrote: View Post
...the addressing of basically every Borg loose-ends...
Does this include the Unimatrix Zero rebels? Because I've been dieing to find out what happened to them since I first saw the U0 2 parter.
Old July 27 2008, 09:16 PM   #47
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

The Unimatrix Zero is fairly prominent, yes. I was quite glad to see them followed up on after Voyager ignored them after that one two-parter (the first part of which I think was probably one of the lamest season cliffhangers in Trek).
Old July 28 2008, 12:52 AM   #48
JD
Admiral

Yes, finally!
Old July 28 2008, 12:52 AM   #49
DeeEss57
Lieutenant

You know, reading about all of these people who already have the book is getting me a little ticked off that I don't have it yet. And, after reading the comments, I'm really looking forward to reading it on Thursday.
DeeEss57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2008, 01:08 AM   #50
JD
Admiral

At least you only need to wait till Thursday. I have no idea when I'll be able to get it at this point. I'm broke right now, and I go back to school in mid-August so I can't really get a job till then. Although I am thinking about taking some stuff in to Gamestop for some cash.
Old July 28 2008, 03:18 AM   #51
Christopher
Writer

Heck, I don't even have my copies yet.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2008, 03:51 AM   #52
bennyrex
Lieutenant

^^ Oh wow. That seems... odd. When does a writer usually see a copy of their book?
bennyrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2008, 08:10 AM   #53
fleetcaptain
Fleet Captain

View fleetcaptain's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to fleetcaptain Send a message via Yahoo to fleetcaptain

You know I was surprised to get my copy on friday. I looked for it on thursday night since Memory Alpha had posted it saying it was out and I didn't see a single copy at Barnes and Noble, since that was the only place I could go in after 9. Thankfully they had 3 on friday night. I was going to be upset if I had to wait another week for it.

But so far, I'm in the middle of Chapter 5 and loving it. It's actually good for a change to have a much better crew and just how the trip took over a month to get to the Cluster.
Sort of reminded me alittle of the Xindi Mission from the NX-01.

Just like others have said, I really have enjoyed this book alittle more out of the others from the relaunch line so far. Can't wait to see what happens w/o spoiling myself, since I have a habit of looking at the back of the book. LOL. Great job Christopher.
fleetcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2008, 11:43 AM   #54
ronny
Fleet Captain

View ronny's Twitter Profile

I found the book a VERY mixed bag.

I just didn't get into the first third of it. Way too many scenes of people talking as a way to recap what has happened in the other books, recapping what has happened in Borg TV episodes, recapping romances from the show, etc. Then after all that there's a conversation that seemed to me a recap of the prologue. I started a list at one point because I couldn't believe the number of references there were as opposed to anything new. We all like references to things in the show but this was way over the top I thought. I was pretty surprised considering the what I thought was a pretty good track record for Christopher.

After struggling with GttS for days I read the last third in one sitting. I think the last third is probably my favorite part of TNG-R, which admittedly isn't saying tons but there you have it. Once we're done with the all the set up and get into some story it really picks up. A lot of good action scenes and talks about Picard and a family kind of thing.

And Leybenzon's final screw up was just amazing. What an awesome ending.

I skimmed through this thread and went and read the Amazon review Christopher mentioned and I found it to a rather fair review. Yeah, not the most flattering but it wasn't a hit piece. I can't disagree with much of what the review says.

My Star Trek reading progress.
ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2008, 01:48 PM   #55
Christopher
Writer

^^Sorry the first third didn't work for you. I was aware it was a bit heavy on the exposition and loose-end tying, but the preceding books had left me various threads I needed to resolve before moving on with my own story. And integrating them better into the story would've been hard because of the time frame. I was given the assignment of telling a single story that bridged the gap between a book taking place no later than mid-2380 and one taking place in February 2381, necessitating the long round trip to get to the action and back. But it didn't seem reasonable that the characters would take so many months to get around to resolving issues from the previous books, so structurally I had little choice but to wrap that all up in the early chapters. I tried to make it as concise as I could, but I probably could've done better.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2008, 05:57 PM   #56
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

ronny wrote: View Post
I just didn't get into the first third of it. Way too many scenes of people talking as a way to recap what has happened in the other books, recapping what has happened in Borg TV episodes, recapping romances from the show, etc. Then after all that there's a conversation that seemed to me a recap of the prologue. I started a list at one point because I couldn't believe the number of references there were as opposed to anything new. We all like references to things in the show but this was way over the top I thought. I was pretty surprised considering the what I thought was a pretty good track record for Christopher.
I know what you mean. Not too long ago I was starting to notice a lot of referencing, explaining and recapping - I think the main culprit that made me really notice it was A Time For War, A Time For Peace. Q&A had it as well, IIRC. Some books have a lot of 'x no. of years ago...' or 'x character remembered when' but I've gotten used to it now. It's just a side-effect of making each book be readable as a standalone, I would imagine. A lot of readers probably don't even notice it.
Old July 28 2008, 09:46 PM   #57
tenmei
Fleet Captain

It's now in Calgary - so hopefully will arrive in Vancouver tommorow which means I can grab it whilst I'm downtown or in Park Royal
Old July 28 2008, 09:47 PM   #58
DeeEss57
Lieutenant

Christopher wrote: View Post
Heck, I don't even have my copies yet.

Yeah, but you've read the book!

DES
Save one life and you're a hero.
Save 230 million and you're a Starfleet officer.
DeeEss57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2008, 10:02 PM   #59
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

I don't tend to have a problem waiting for books nowadays - as soon as a review thread pops up on this site for a book I want I head to Amazon Marketplace and get a copy sent over from a UK based seller - as a result I've had the TNG relaunch and Fearful Symmetry up to two months before official UK release.
Old July 29 2008, 01:31 AM   #60
KingstonTrekker
Commander

[Sorry the first third didn't work for you. I was aware it was a bit heavy on the exposition and loose-end tying, but the preceding books had left me various threads I needed to resolve before moving on with my own story. And integrating them better into the story would've been hard because of the time frame. I was given the assignment of telling a single story that bridged the gap between a book taking place no later than mid-2380 and one taking place in February 2381, necessitating the long round trip to get to the action and back. But it didn't seem reasonable that the characters would take so many months to get around to resolving issues from the previous books, so structurally I had little choice but to wrap that all up in the early chapters. I tried to make it as concise as I could, but I probably could've done better.

I just finished the book tonight, after picking it up late last week here in Kingston, Ontario. I thought that the first third of the book worked really well. In my opinion, you did an excellent job of cleaning up the mess that was called Before Dishonour. No offense to Peter David, but I just find that his New Frontier style of over the top writing does not fit well with TNG. From your comments on here, it sounds like your job with GTTS was to pick up the threads from earlier books and prepare everyone for Destiny. Well, in my mind you succeeded!

I have read some posts on here that have been critical of T'Ryssa. I thought that she was the most refreshing new character to yet appear in the TNG relaunch. Finally, a character with some spunk! She grew throughout the novel; her mind meld scene with Picard was terrific. I am looking forward to seeing how this evolution continues in Destiny.

I was not sorry to see Leybenzon bite the dust. It was ironic that just before he died he bungled things so badly that the Borg may now be unstoppable. I thought that this was a fitting end for a character who I honestly never liked.

All of the other characters were also excellent. This is the first TNG relaunch novel where I felt that I could actually connect to the characters, both old and new.

Well done (as usual)!
KingstonTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote